Post-Game Talk: Winning Is Better (Jets 5 Nucks 1)

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
:):)
My take. Neutral fans and the media look at the Jets as a whole. And as a whole we are a very nice collection of parts. They are not getting caught up in who played with who, and who got the most ice time. Many on this board judge the Jets through the lens of their favourite player. Anything other than a perceived optimal usage for their favourite is seen as a screw up by the coach. Everyone is counting up minutes and pulling whatever stats they can find to support their position and yells misuse even after a dominating win.

That is absolutely not true. Some of us here judge the Jets through the usage of our LEAST favourite player. . In my case though, I’m happy because Buff got about the right amount of ice time last night. :)

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Jets are 6th overall in 5v5 scoring.
Wrong type of scoring, you know. ;)

Seriously though, Perreault has skewed the numbers of the bottom six so. goddamn. much. Add Lowry's line having constant success to that, and we have a nasty line setup at our disposal. Proof? Well, I still do not think that raw corsi is not the be-all, end-all - nowhere near that, quite frankly - but still, measuring by that stat, our eight best players are our entire bottom six, Poolman and Chiarot. :laugh: Kind of amusing, considering how last year, none of our bottom sixers and/or #7-8 defensemen featured in the top 10.

But, in the end, none of that really matters. A win is a win, and I will enjoy all of them.

Reactions: Huffer

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I feel like a parrot, but 5v5 scoring is not where it needs to be

Do you realize the Jets are 6th (t5th) in the league in 5on 5 goals scored?

IMG_0262.jpg

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
That is what everyone said they wanted until we actually got it.

Go back to the first three weeks of the season. People were actually keeping track of our bottom 6 goals scored in a table and using it as evidence of how awful our team was and as grounds for firing the coach and the GM.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Do you realize the Jets are 6th (t5th) in the league in 5on 5 goals scored?

Yeah, it was already addressed a few posts ago.

I am talking about recently, not overall , and even then I kind of forgot about the bottom-six coming through because they haven't been reliable in that department up until recently.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I think PS a couple posts up makes a very good point on the long term health benefits of giving MP some softer usage. In the short term he is also killing it on the score sheet with the mismatch. And he can be moved up in a heartbeat if needed. Seems like a pretty good situation for the Jets.

One of the things Maurice said post game was how Hendricks keeps Perreault and Armia wound up on the bench. It seems the whol team absolutely loves Hendricks. I wonder if those two things make it easier for Machoo to accept his current role? I wonder if he'd be as effective in that 4th line role with a different C.

BTW Armia never seems "wound up" to me. He always seemed so quiet and shy out there at the practices I've been to.

Reactions: ps241

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yeah, it was already addressed a few posts ago.

I am talking about recently, not overall , and even then I kind of forgot about the bottom-six coming through because they haven't been reliable in that department up until recently.

Vancouver 4G
Tampa 3G
Florida 3G
Detroit 0G

Seems decent to me recently

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Go back to the first three weeks of the season. People were actually keeping track of our bottom 6 goals scored in a table and using it as evidence of how awful our team was and as grounds for firing the coach and the GM.

Hey, I've always let the numbers speak for themselves. Just tracking whether the numbers were going to be as awful as last season again. They don't seem to be. Goaltending, fourth line jesus, and CLT actually being what some people believed MLA were last year means we don't have depth problems on F this year.

update (find the biggest difference):

Goals16-1717-18
5v5 w/ Scheifele,Little107-9342-34
5v5 w/o Scheifele,Little49-7122-21
PP and SH58-7133-25
other (4v4, 3v3, EN)32-209-7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
That is what everyone said they wanted until we actually got it.
Things are far from balance as long as Perreault&Armia sees the ice ~10min, and Copp&Tanev ~15min. Biased point of view or not, it's just plain stupid. There's not a single area where PLA wouldn't perform massively better than CLT. I'm so tired to be negative...

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Things are far from balance as long as Perreault&Armia sees the ice ~10min, and Copp&Tanev ~15min. Biased point of view or not, it's just plain stupid. There's not a single area where PLA wouldn't perform massively better than CLT. I'm so tired to be negative...
Have you also considered the fact that if PLA is together, our fourth line will consist of Copp, Hendricks and Tanev? Are you confident in Perreault and Armia being able to produce in a shutdown role, which they would face playing with Lowry, to the point where they would also make up for the likely diminishing production of CHA? If they are not, then we are back to running three lines. More to the point, Lowry (and the way Maurice deploys his line) is making Copp and Tanev much better than anyone expected them to be. Why not keep things that way and hope that they can continue that way?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Prepare for continued disappointment. From Maurice's comments post game it doesn't sound like things are going to change anytime soon. CLT line is just so darn effective. I'm very comfortable with these lines going forward. I love having a fourth line that kicks ASS

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Prepare for continued disappointment. From Maurice's comments post game it doesn't sound like things are going to change anytime soon. CLT line is just so darn effective. I'm very comfortable with these lines going forward. I love having a fourth line that kicks ASS

The third lines minutes are fine. What they need to do is shave a minute and a half off off of Scheifele and Wheelers total ice time and give it to Perrault and Armia. Armia should get a chunk of their PK time imo.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
The third lines minutes are fine. What they need to do is shave a minute and a half off off of Scheifele and Wheelers total ice time and give it to Perrault and Armia. Armia should get a chunk of their PK time imo.

I did see Armia out there last night on the PK (haven't seen him doing that in a while but I could of missed it)

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Yup. Armia has got it down to a science. He is so strong on the puck, uses his body so well and often seems to outsmart the opponent on the boards and in the corners. He just ends up with the puck more often than not. I hope that he and Perreault are given more icetime because they really deserve it.
Yes. And if he had a decent shot, he could be an actual goal scoring threat too.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
So true ... I live on the west coast and people here tell me how good the Jets. I hear from other sports announcers talk about how good the Jets. It seems everyone thinks the Jets are a good team on the rise except on this board because the "analytics" says a different story.

Right? Like I alluded to earlier, everyone except on this forum, the WPG / TB game was "an exciting battle of two top teams" with "the upstart Jets showing they belong, going the distance on the road against a very strong Tampa Bay team" in "a showcase of some of the game's best young talent" and all that.

But you'd never have known from the GDT that day.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yep....hard for people on here to admit we are a good team when their favourite player is getting 2 mins less ice time per game, their favourite player has crappy linemates, or the coach they despise is winning and ensuring he will have a job well into next year! :huh:

To be fair, you are referencing a very small contingent of posters. Some that are lumped into that category are simply trying to optimize and discussing how the Jets could be even better than they are.

I'm looking forward to the Real Test (x3) this coming week, after a couple of days rest and recuperation after a tough couple of weeks. A few players looked nothing like themselves out there last night, while some looked like they had been resting in a hyperbaric chamber for a couple of days.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Right? Like I alluded to earlier, everyone except on this forum, the WPG / TB game was "an exciting battle of two top teams" with "the upstart Jets showing they belong, going the distance on the road against a very strong Tampa Bay team" in "a showcase of some of the game's best young talent" and all that.

No kidding. I thought we played a very strong game against Tampa. They looked a bit more polished but as an older more experienced team its what you'd expect.

Still some room for growth but our fancy stats have been pretty strong the last month or so.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Have you also considered the fact that if PLA is together, our fourth line will consist of Copp, Hendricks and Tanev? Are you confident in Perreault and Armia being able to produce in a shutdown role, which they would face playing with Lowry, to the point where they would also make up for the likely diminishing production of CHA? If they are not, then we are back to running three lines. More to the point, Lowry (and the way Maurice deploys his line) is making Copp and Tanev much better than anyone expected them to be. Why not keep things that way and hope that they can continue that way?
PLA means three steadily rolling scoring lines, with good 4th line. No need for actual shutdown line.

CLT means 2 scoring lines, with good shutdown line(which you can't always use) and misused "secret weapon"(4th line)

First option is of course far superior because 1. You have tools for it. 2. You can roll over your opponent with your top9 home and on the road exactly same way, without needing to worry too much about machups. Not all teams can afford that kind of simplicity. That is the true "winning formula".

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Confirmation bias is strong in this forum

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
This team should be unstoppable at home, because Mo can get the matchups he wants with his fourth line. That's been the big difference in this team.

They were putting up points, but I didn't think the team was playing very well until Matty P came back, then it was like they turned a switch, and have played outstanding since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad