Confirmed with Link: Winnik is back (2 Year Deal $2.25 AAV)

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Hard working tank team coming up.

So happy it's finally happening!

Winnik - Kadri - Parenteau
Lupul - Holland - Panik
Komarov - Spaling - Arcobello
Leivo - Carrick - Sill

Gardiner - Robidas
Rielly - Polak
Hunwick - Marincin

Bernier
Reimer

Viva La Tank!!

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yea, it does. But as of now, at least on the wing, we don't have any spots left for young guys at all,

These are our wingers.

JVR-Lupul
Parentau-Panik
Komarov-Spauling
Arcobello-Winnik

These wingers kinda scream "drive for 9th" for me as opposed to player development.

Once Bozak gets traded, Spaling will move to 3C and I'd bet Soshnikov takes over. Can't rule out JVR and/or Lupul being moved either. I think Soshnikov will be on the big club as far as young guys go. Only other guy I could see is maybe Hyman in my scenario. And that's not ruling out other roster players moving that you wouldn't expect (Kadri).

That said, that is in no way a drive for 9th team. I see us at around 70 pts next year tops, which is still bottom 5 territory in most years given the drastic improvement in a lot of teams around us and especially below us (Edmonton, Buffalo).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sign Santa.

I want Winnik with Kadri. Kadri played some of his best hockey with Winnik. Winniks effort level rubbed off onto Kadri, and it showed. Throw JVR on there to have some offence, and you have a solid line

JVR - Kadri - Winnik
Lupul - Holland - Santorelli
Komarov - Spaling - Parenteau
Acrobello - Carrick - XXXXXX

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Polak
Hunwick - Marincin
Robidas

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
So with Pittsburgh's 2nd going back to Pittsburgh and Winnik signing with Toronto again it's almost like the trade never happened!

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Yea, it does. But as of now, at least on the wing, we don't have any spots left for young guys at all,

These are our wingers.

JVR-Lupul
Parentau-Panik
Komarov-Spauling
Arcobello-Winnik

These wingers kinda scream "drive for 9th" for me as opposed to player development.
Spaling's likely to be playing center. That'll leave one spot on the wings, not including extra forwards.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I wouldn't really pencil in a lot of Marlies coming on up, unless they really, really really can make a different in the lineup .

Babcock has stated (not here, but i mean, Carlyle too) - this is not a development league. so basically if you're going to come up here, you're going to be up here to contribute meaningfully. Dubas stated they're not kicking up any Marlies players unless they can do it, and it looks like they don't want to do a lot of it right away.

so. having Winnik (ie: good qualities for the younger people on the team already) makes sense, as one needs to you know, dress an NHL team.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Winnik is the perfect player while you rebuild and transition your core.

Low term, low cap hit. Works had every game. He's versatile (C or W) and he's a highly regarded low maintenance player.

I don't understand how anyone can find anything wrong with this signing.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Will we trade him again at the deadline? If so and we get a pick. Good deal. Otherwise, it's a confusing signing for a rebuilding team. If we are retooling then makes sense.

They probably got him back for the positive atmosphere in the dressing room, give him the C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad