Confirmed with Link: Winnik is back (2 Year Deal $2.25 AAV)

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Really hate this signing as it means hes gonna ruin the tank for a couple of games this season :P

Glad to have him back

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Really happy to hear that we got Winnik back. He played great for us last season. I think he managed to finish a +14 or something like that before he got traded.

He's great on the PK... he adds some size, grit, toughness, etc. And he's shown that he can play up and down the line-up and not look out of place.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Komarov-Holland-Parenteau
Winnik-Spaling-Panik
Bailey-Carrick-Arcobello

Basically a bunch of junk around JVR, Kadri, Komarov, and Winnik.

Small tweak....

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Leivo-Holland-PAP
Komarov-Spaling-Winnik
Panik-Carrick-Arco

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Small tweak....

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Leivo-Holland-PAP
Komarov-Spaling-Winnik
Panik-Carrick-Arco

I'd really like to see Panik on one of the top two lines to really figure out what we have in him. Leivo might start in the AHL, or maybe we can get lucky and move Lupul before the season starts.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Komarov-Holland-Parenteau
Winnik-Spaling-Panik
Bailey-Carrick-Arcobello

Basically a bunch of junk around JVR, Kadri, Komarov, and Winnik.

Unfortunately we still have Bozak too.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
"Phil's gone? ****, I'm going back to Toronto, sign me up!"

Winnik did an interview a little bit before he was traded, and it sounded like he was really frustrated by the team. He didn't come right out and say it, but when asked about a goal they had allowed in the first, he made a pretty pointed remark about needing to backcheck or something like that (instead of the usual "oh yeah they got a break, gotta come out strong in the second, play one shift at a time" babble that we usually hear.")

I really wasn't expecting him back, and a little bit of me does wonder if he's only coming back knowing that the team will have changed.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
F### off Winnik! The guy sucks can't score, terrible passer, afraid to use his size. Was a detriment in Pens playoff push. Hopefully Babs sees how crap he is and takes him out of the line up early! What a waste of cap space!!

mikebel111*

F### off Winnik! The guy sucks can't score, terrible passer, afraid to use his size. Was a detriment in Pens playoff push. Hopefully Babs sees how crap he is and takes him out of the line up early! What a waste of cap space!!

lol:laugh:

don't know he is I guess eh

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA

all that matters is he helps us get Matthews/Chychrun

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Scoring could be an issue next season, but hopefully this is one move in the direction of building a solid hard-to-play-against defensive team. The scoring elements will be in junior/AHL and can be inserted as they become ready.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
lol:laugh:

don't know he is I guess eh

I've seen plenty of him that's the problem. It was especially awesome when Carlyle would use him on the 1st line!! I'm actually ok with him if he's kept on the 4th line and PK. The guys got no skill!

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Winnik did an interview a little bit before he was traded, and it sounded like he was really frustrated by the team. He didn't come right out and say it, but when asked about a goal they had allowed in the first, he made a pretty pointed remark about needing to backcheck or something like that (instead of the usual "oh yeah they got a break, gotta come out strong in the second, play one shift at a time" babble that we usually hear.")

Yup, there were multiple comments by him over the season where if you read between the lines he was implying he didn't find some of our offensive players' effort acceptable.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Very nice.

This off-season is shaping up to be quite good, if you ignore the elephant in the room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad