News Article: Wings would like to re-sign Cleary if they can trade someone (he's NOT signed) #142

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This signing is okay IF AND ONLY IF Cleary is actually used as a 3rd/4th line guy.

Not at 2.6. That is too much for that role. They just needed to pull the cord, everything WingedWheeler is going to say about Holland in this thread he deserves, this was a terrible move, the least happy I have ever been with Holland.

J-Swift

Jan 5, 2006
So Holland's too squeamish about Lecavalier's "pace" to offer him anything more than a two-year deal, but for a broken hockey player like Cleary, three years works just fine.

RedWingsNow*

To be fair 4 other teams were hot after him and offered more money.

According to Cleary's agent:)

Where does Tatar fit in this year's lineup?
I don't see it.

Likely lineup, knowing the organization

Zetterberg Datsyuk Abdelkader
Franzen Weiss Alfredsson
Miller Helm Cleary
Nyquist Andersson Bertuzzi

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
I'm not gonna spin out of control like everyone else. It's a decent deal if he ups his game in the playoffs.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
This just doesn't make sense. He will get AT LEAST a 3rd line role now, so that leaves...

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Weiss, Alfredsson as 5 of our top 6, with guys like Abdelkader, Bertuzzi, Cleary, and Miller likely getting rotated in and out of that spot.

Our 3rd line will likely be three of: Helm, Cleary, Abby, Miller, Bertuzzi for the most part.

4th line has Eaves, Andersson, Emmerton, and any spill over from the names mentioned above.

Where do Nyquist and Tatar even get to play now?

edit: this is assuming Samuelsson is shelfed all year, too. Holland really has to move some bodies out.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I guess we as fans weren't clear enough. At the 11 minute mark of every period during a game we should boo and chant trade Dan Cleary. We could mix it up and in the second period chant don't play Dan Cleary, that way both Babcock and Holland understand.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
You know, it's Ilitch's money. And I think Tartar will take Cleary's spot if not this coming season than next, regardless of how much Ilitch wants to spend on Dan Cleary. There's just no way around it, Cleary is declining, other guys like Tartar are coming into prime. Alfredsson is gone next season, that frees up some loot, and if Ilitch has to buy out Cleary eventually, let him, no skin off our back, really. The Wings paid 2.8 million dollars per season for Cleary last time around and there were a couple years at first when he didn't really earn it. At 2.6 million a season, oh well. He is a hard worker and he's a good in the playoffs.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
This is all Babcock.

if Holland seriously signed a contract that terrible just because Babcock wanted him to then something is seriously wrong

there's having a good working relationship with your coach and then there's being somebody's *****

RedWingsNow*

Other than some offseason house clearning, I think the offseason is pretty much officially done

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I guess we as fans weren't clear enough. At the 11 minute mark of every period during a game we should boo and chant trade Dan Cleary. We could mix it up and in the second period chant don't play Dan Cleary, that way both Babcock and Holland understand.

Too bad the hardcore "hfboard" fans aren't the ones who goes to every detroit game......it's people in suits that got tickets from their company.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad