Post-Game Talk: Wings win! Wings @ Bruins 10-14-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
He's playing with Datsyuk.

If Datsyuk can put Abby on a respectable GPG average, highest of his career, then he can do it for a guy as good as Z.

he's started many seasons with datsyuk. last year, 2yrs ago for example.

It amazes me that in the context of the first point, you'd go to the second point.

IMO, when Datsyuk isn't scoring, he's still a great two way player who mostly keeps the puck in the other team's zone.

totally agreed.

RedWingsNow*

Datsyuk is still a force when he's not putting up points, but a big part of his paycheck is...putting up points.

Nobody said that wasn't the case.
This tangent comes because some guy said Zetterberg contributes even when he doesn't score -- while suggesting that Datsyuk completely disappears

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nobody said that wasn't the case.
This tangent comes because some guy said Zetterberg contributes even when he doesn't score -- while suggesting that Datsyuk completely disappears

Completely disappears probably isn't correct except for a couple of strange cases and Zetterberg has a few of those. But even when playing poor on the rare occasions it happens Zetterberg generally has better possession and offensive threats. When Datsyuk is having an bad game you try pointing to what he is doing defensively as his saving grace, Zetterberg is generally flashing at both ends of the ice still. But we are pretty much doomed whenever these two are having an off night.

I also think it has to do with the kind of players they are. Zetterberg is more straight forward so his game stays similar whether he is in exceptional form or not. Some of Datsyuk's creativity will noticeably go away on his off nights and he will be getting bumped around or on the ice more.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Zetterberg is more reliable. If I had to pick one guy to get it done with the game on the line, I go for him. That's not a slight to Datsyuk, but a testament to how smart and steady Zetterberg is with the puck. He's the smartest player on the ice and it shows, because he's certainly not the fastest, strongest, or even the best puck handler, but he continues to be a top NHL player.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Zetterberg is more reliable. If I had to pick one guy to get it done with the game on the line, I go for him. That's not a slight to Datsyuk, but a testament to how smart and steady Zetterberg is with the puck. He's the smartest player on the ice and it shows, because he's certainly not the fastest, strongest, or even the best puck handler, but he continues to be a top NHL player.

I'm not going to make a distinction either way, but I think it's wrong to look at the situation like boasting about one player means you're putting down the other. If I prefer Z over Datsyuk, it doesn't mean I think Datsyuk isn't one of the best players ever to play the game.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not going to make a distinction either way, but I think it's wrong to look at the situation like boasting about one player means you're putting down the other. If I prefer Z over Datsyuk, it doesn't mean I think Datsyuk isn't one of the best players ever to play the game.

Too true.

But I feel the strong need to cover my ass, as is Bench policy.

RedWingsNow*

To me, Datsyuk is possibly the best player in the NHL in the post-cap era -- points be damned.
I don't see Zetterberg as being part of that conversation at all.

Red Wings fans have always had Zetterberg bias. The Swedish thing. The Lidstrom saying "meet your next captain" or whatever.

It's funny -- because this argument about Z being good even when he doesn't produce (and Datsyuk disappearing) was a common theme going back to 2007.

A large chunk of the fanbase had this notion -- even as Datsyuk was being mentioned outside Detroit as the best defensive forward in hockey.

The echo chamber in Detroit was having a hard time accepting the reality that the unbiased hockey world saw.

And this thread today -- is yet another reverberating echo from 2007. Still today, people use words like "reliable" for Zetterberg and use backhanded compliments like "flashy" to describe Datsyuk.

It's nonsense in my book. But I've never lived in an echo chamber. So what do I know.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
To me, Datsyuk is possibly the best player in the NHL in the post-cap era -- points be damned.

Red Wings fans have always had Zetterberg bias. The Swedish thing. The Lidstrom saying "meet your next captain" or whatever.

It's funny -- because this argument about Z being good even when he doesn't produce (and Datsyuk disappearing) was a common theme going back to 2007.

A large chunk of the fanbase had this notion -- even as Datsyuk was being mentioned outside Detroit as the best defensive forward in hockey.

The echo chamber in Detroit was having a hard time accepting the reality that the unbiased hockey world saw.

And this thread today -- is yet another reverberating echo from 2007. Still today, people use words like "reliable" for Zetterberg and use backhanded compliments like "flashy" to describe Datsyuk.

It's nonsense in my book. But I've never lived in an echo chamber. So what do I know.

Boom. Agreed. People forget all the times and stretches Z has been ordinary and always focus on when Datsyuk is hurt or didn't produce as many points as they wanted.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
This is a thing that doesn't actually exist outside of the echobox you've created on the topic.

Agreed. There's no Swedish bias on this board. We are equal opportunity lovers/haters based on whoever is playing best/worst. E.g. Franzen.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

You have a clear anti-Swedish backlash so hard to take this as truth. Your echo chamber hates them.

One guy has been solid as a rock in the post-season and regular season, one guy has been more inconsistent. That is where that comes from. Zetterberg and his playing style are about as reliable as it comes, this didn't come in some warped Swedish bias. It came from watching him play and the accolades he has earned. From doing things like never failing to score a goal in a single playoff series he has ever been in.

Datsyuk is a fabulous player but he hasn't been as reliable as Zetterberg, he just hasn't been. He has been a first ballot HHOF guy and I love watching him play, probably the most enjoyable guy we have had to watch, right up there with young Yzerman and prime Fedorov. But Zetterberg is considered more reliable because he has been, it really is that simple.

You could also argue when talking about the two that Zetterberg has/had the best peak season between the two. His 2007-08 season was the strongest we have seen since Fedorov's Hart Trophy winning season and he followed it with a Smythe in the playoffs.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
You could also argue when talking about the two that Zetterberg has/had the best peak season between the two. His 2007-08 season was the strongest we have seen since Fedorov's Hart Trophy winning season and he followed it with a Smythe in the playoffs.

I don't agree with this at all. Dats was just as good if not better that same year (and on the same line, setting up Z's goals), and was even better in '09.

RedWingsNow*

Agreed. There's no Swedish bias on this board. We are equal opportunity lovers/haters based on whoever is playing best/worst. E.g. Franzen.

There's a huge Swedish bias here.
Every Swedish draft pick immediately skyrockets to the top of prospect lists.
When deciding Hossa vs Franzen -- the board chooses Franzen. Why? Keep the "Swed Wings" together, right?

The Swedish bias is actually pretty understandable.

We've had success with Swedes. Hakan Andersson has had success with Swedish players in drafts.

As a result of all the Swedes here, this team has been adopted by many Swedish fans, many of whom are quite open about their bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad