Post-Game Talk: Wings win! Wings @ Bruins 10-14-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 22m
Babcock on Howard: "He’s got some blood in the hand and they’re trying to keep it down, but maybe it’s swollen too much now (cont.). ...

Babcock on Howard (cont.) " ... so I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow. We’ll monitor the situation and decide who goes tomorrow.’’

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 10m
Babcock looked at scoresheet: "5-0 (power play edge for Bruins).Might have to frame that because no one will believe it actually happened.''

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Well 2 points is two points I'll take it.

But man if z and d hit a cold streak we are straight up ****ed. They are the only line that is actually a threat atm.

Gustavsson was swimming around quite a bit today but he got it done so he gets props. Doesn't have to be pretty. But main he was making me jumpy when we where hemmed in our zone.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Looking at that Datsyuk pass again, it had to go through three Bruin players. And then the shot was at an insane angle. Crazy stuff.

Johnz96*

Babcock on Howard: "He’s got some blood in the hand and they’re trying to keep it down, but maybe it’s swollen too much now (cont.). ...

Babcock on Howard (cont.) " ... so I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow. We’ll monitor the situation and decide who goes tomorrow.’’

Babcock looked at scoresheet: "5-0 (power play edge for Bruins).Might have to frame that because no one will believe it actually happened.''

Most impressive to beat a team as good as Boston in Boston while having no PPs and being SHed 5 times.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
fenwick (no blocked shots) this game: 35-32 1st game: 31-38
corsi (inc. blocked shots) this game: 39-47 1st game: 42-45

bruins controlled both games.

Shot blocking is a repeatable skill though. I've always liked Fenwick better and it's slightly better correlated to scoring chances and goals- especially if you look at Fenwick close b/c of the effect that the score can have on shot totals.

The Wings slightly controlled the play more at 5 on 5 when the score was close. All in all, a pretty evenly played game where D and Z dominated and Franzen had his best game of the year. Boston was quite a bit better in the first game.

They need to make a move to bring in another good puck moving two-way defenseman to play on the second pairing to free up more opportunities for the secondary players. If Helm comes back, that will give the bottom lines a real boost too. They've played like a middle of the pack team through 6 games and haven't controlled play as well as they have just as recently as last year.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Did Franzen actually OUTHUSTLE someone to make that assist for Weiss?

Holy balls.

Datsyuk with the magic pass, Zetterberg once again scoring on an impossible angle.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Shot blocking is a repeatable skill though. I've always liked Fenwick better and it's slightly better correlated to scoring chances and goals- especially if you look at Fenwick close b/c of the effect that the score can have on shot totals.

The Wings slightly controlled the play more at 5 on 5 when the score was close. All in all, a pretty evenly played game where D and Z dominated and Franzen had his best game of the year. Boston was quite a bit better in the first game.

They need to make a move to bring in another good puck moving two-way defenseman to play on the second pairing to free up more opportunities for the secondary players. If Helm comes back, that will give the bottom lines a real boost too. They've played like a middle of the pack team through 6 games and haven't controlled play as well as they have just as recently as last year.

i hope kindl can fill that role.

don't see there having enough cap space and/or assets to make a move on significant upgrade above kindl. smith doesn't seem to be the answer this season. hope i'm wrong, though.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Gus is a very unorthodox goalie but results were good, he got hammered with a lot of short handed situations today and did pretty darn good. but he scares me too

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009

They need to send a copy of the boxscore to Teemu and his duck friends.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I thought the Wings played pretty well despite playing in our own zone a good part of the game it seemed

Though we got goals from lines 2&3, top line is our only dangerous line

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
i hope kindl can fill that role.

don't see there having enough cap space and/or assets to make a move on significant upgrade above kindl. smith doesn't seem to be the answer this season. hope i'm wrong, though.

Too early to worry about this. I'll give it 'till December. Detroit needs to get back into the puck possession game they're very good at. Right now, they aren't playing defense as good as they have been. If they start playing the way we know they can, they'll be fine... Interesting to note, that the people who have started the most faceoffs in the defensive end have the worst possession numbers on the team. Gotta wait for the numbers to normalize and for Babcock to get the team playing like they should be.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Too early to worry about this. I'll give it 'till December. Detroit needs to get back into the puck possession game they're very good at. Right now, they aren't playing defense as good as they have been. If they start playing the way we know they can, they'll be fine... Interesting to note, that the people who have started the most faceoffs in the defensive end have the worst possession numbers on the team. Gotta wait for the numbers to normalize and for Babcock to get the team playing like they should be.

Yeah, 6 games isn't the largest sample size, and they are 4-2.

But I think there's a disconnect between Babcock getting this team playing like they should be given his sometimes asinine lineup decisions, and how good this team COULD be if they were icing their best players consistently in suitable roles for guys' skill sets.

The current team being rolled out has less upside (especially offensively) than the team would have if Babs and Kenny got together and made a conscious effort to get the most talented guys on the ice whenever possible. This d-corps isn't going to wow anybody, so in addition to needing Howie to be great on a regular basis, they'll need to have more than just their top line being consistently dangerous on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad