Confirmed with Link: Wings trade Alec Regula for Brendan Perlini

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I figured that, my hope was to waive Abdelkader but likely not to happen, Smith or Hirose would probably be sent down with Erne due to come back very soon. Maybe Svechnikov.
Smith and Hirose should go down. Smith looked good but still needs work on his offense, Hirose needs to bulk up. Smith becomes redundant once Erne comes back anyways.

Abby is insanely overpaid, but he's playing at an NHL level this season (4th liners are NHLers, lol).

Svech is waiver eligible next season, and he's playing well in his limited minutes. He should stay.

The way I see it, Perlini > Hirose. Should improve the team.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Definitely some different routes to getting here, but I see a lot of Anthony Mantha in Perlini. The book seems to be an extremely toolsy, strong skating power forward with a “sniper” mindset. The biggest gripe has been his lack of consistency and compete level.

He’s going to a team he was a fan of growing up, who can give him the opportunity to establish himself, with a coach who (by the accounts of Mantha himself) worked well to get Mantha to kind of break through into the player he is now, and reuniting with a good friend from his past. A certain friend who is notorious around the hockey world for being a bit of a red ass with an extremely high compete level.

It screams of a change of scenery that is actually set up to be a success. Obviously it has to happen on the ice, but for a team who is in obvious need of depth forwards who can create offense, this is a very logical trade.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
On the current roster including Perlini we have 7 LW. Someone either will be sent down, waived or traded? Our LW include Hirose, Svechnikov, Abdelkader, Erne, De La Rose, Bertuzzi, 7 LW doesn't sound right.

De La Rose is a center. Abdelkader is a RW most of the time. Svech is equally happy on either side, as is Hirose.

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I like the trade. Even though I feel like we are way to heavy in the 23-year-old department.
Regula is putting up nice numbers but doesn't have NHL stuff, in my opinion. Hopefully I'm not wrong about that.

But here's what I ****ing hate.
We've got WAY TOO MANY young wingers already. Almost 23-year-old Svech is already out of a job with 23-year-old Erne back. And 23-year-old Hirose still taking a spot.
Svech better off getting his sea legs while putting up points at AHL than getting less than 10m at night at NHL level while they rest his knee

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Have a credible season in the OHL doesn't mean that much. Now if he continues to develop he could turn into a decent NHLer. But I would't oversell how a 19 year is doing on London the best run franchise in the CHL.

Just to add to your point, didnt Ryan Sproul win CHL or OHL D-man of the year?

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Alright then. Regula is pretty low on the depth chart, atleast lower than McIsaac, Tuomisto, Johansson, Lindström and Seider (dunno if I'm forgetting someone). So I guess it makes sense from that perspective to trade him for a positional need.

Going by just gut feeling I'd say that this is an unnecessary risk. I'm pretty high on Regula and I think there's a good chance he could've risen in the depth chart with a decent chance at carving out a NHL career. He's got a good, albeit raw, defensive precense with great size. Meanwhile I just think that Perlini is what he is, and kind of doubtful that he sticks in the NHL at this point.

Let's hope it works out, but I'm not a fan.

Reactions: Filppula
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Pretty insignificant trade overall. Regula is in the third tier of wings D prospects and would've been in somewhat tough for a contract. But hes having a solid year with the Knights so the Hawks might end up getting something like a bottom pairing guy out of this. Perlini is only 23 and has actually had a couple seasons on pace for right around 20 goals. Its nothing crazy but goal production in the NHL is the toughest thing to do. Perlini could be an asset in a couple years as a PP guy and depth scorer

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
How, if at all, does this impact our expansion draft protection list?

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
6"3, former 12th overall, still only 23, slightly rushed to NHL but 45 NHL goals. Good size, shoot first. A great opportunity for him to get top 6 minutes and PP time. Well worth taking a punt on effectively a 3rd round pick and gives us flexibility re future trades. I liked Regula, but this is a good hockey trade

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
All Hirose, Svechnikov, Abdelkader and Bertuzzi have played also RW.

Quite a big guy. Nice speed.

It's nice to get a hockeyplayer to our horrible offence, and lose a prospect, who was at least 2-3 years away from NHL.

big body - soft hands - good wheels - ok'ed by larkin . and thinking the team likes yzerman making an attempt at improving , mean while if he works out here is young so could be a long term add .

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I understand this site is fixated on prospects to a larger degree than most, but I really wish people would realize just how few prospects, even above average ones, turn into impact NHL players.

That’s not meant as a knock on Regula but trading a prospect not even ranked in our top 10 for a potential 20 goal guy already in the show is not some traumatic move. Even if Regula bites us in hindsight from a draft pick situation it’s far from a disaster. If you have an opportunity to draft a Perlini in the third round where Regula was picked, you make the pick every time

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
This will come back to bite us. Regula is going to be a stud. "But where would he fit?", our guys are still 2-3 years away form being full time NHL D-Men. Seider, Cholo, Hronek, McIsaac, Regula, and a Vet would have been good for me.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I like the trade but interested in seeing what they do with the lineup. I'd move Hirose down to GR before anyone.

Last edited:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I forget which one but yah he did win some kind of award.

Sproul was a one trick pony in the Sault. Had a great short and could skate for a big man, that basically allowed him to get by with a low hockey IQ and pretty big defensive flaws.

As for the trade, I like it... I know not many are fans of Erne, but Yzerman has brought in some youth that is NHL ready.. Grit and a little skill, they either work out and give us a little hope or they fail and buy time for the prospects in grand rapids.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Hawks fan here. Perlini is big. fast, good shot, questionable motor. When he’s on, he’s fun to watch. I hope it works out for him.

Reactions: Christien

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad