Confirmed with Link: Wings trade Alec Regula for Brendan Perlini

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Damn with family ties to the team still got traded. I like how Yzerman is no nonsense but I was hoping Regula would be a player for us one day

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
With all the defensive prospects drafted this past July, it kind of made Regula redundant.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
At 0.874M, he's a good reclamation project, but Regula had some pretty good stats in London. I figure the big D was passed on the depth chart by MacIsaac, Seider, etc and he was an asset to be moved for a need - a middle-6 forward. He might have more of an offensive upside than someone like Ehn, De la Rose or Abdelkader and that might have made him attractive.

All I can say is that I can appreciate the moves that Yzerman has made so far - he's put his stamp on the team.

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
Where do you think he slots in?

I would like to see him with Larkin.

Perlini- Larkin- Mantha
Bert-Flip-AA
Hirose-Nielsen-Svech/Helm
Erne-DLR-Helm/Abby

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He will.be 20 next close enough. This is no big loss.

He will be if he plays the 2020-21 season in the OHL. He's not an overager in any way shape or form right now. You are probably right that he's not a big loss but he's having a very credible season that is not due to him being an overager.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
At 0.874M, he's a good reclamation project, but Regula had some pretty good stats in London. I figure the big D was passed on the depth chart by MacIsaac, Seider, etc and he was an asset to be moved for a need - a middle-6 forward. He might have more of an offensive upside than someone like Ehn, De la Rose or Abdelkader and that might have made him attractive.

All I can say is that I can appreciate the moves that Yzerman has made so far - he's put his stamp on the team.
Yzerman is definitely calling the shots. Hopefully he is right more than wrong....

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
My guess is this is more about getting something for Regula, who they didn't see a fit for and wanted to get something in return. Not a big move obviously, but a move to get some value from a prospect who is likely at the end of the line. I'd love to see Perlini earn a spot over one of our grossly overpaid plugs, that'd be a nice win.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Perlini and Larkin are friends, grew up a wings fan. Tons of skill just never really consistent enough to stick in a top 6, doesn't compete hard enough to be an effective grinder.

Like Strome, he needs opportunity and faith from an organization to have a chance.

After a few years, the family relocated again, this time to the Detroit area in order to be closer to Michigan State, where Brett was playing. That allowed Brendan to join a remarkable youth team that included fellow future first-round picks Dylan Larkin, Kyle Connor and Zach Werenski.

Upbringing in England gives new Blackhawk Brendan Perlini a unique perspective on hockey

Reactions: BSHH and Lil Bert

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Love the trade. Regula is a solid prospect but we dealt from a position of organizational strength to get a player that still has some upside and is young. This isn’t Adam Erne, this is a guy who was drafted a whopping one year before Svechnikov and already has a 14 and 17 goal season. Regula has tools but he really hasn’t shown any much more than Ryan Sproul did in his d+2. Maybe he becomes a great player, maybe not, but with Hronek, Cholowski, Seider, and McIssac all being young and promising it’s not a big deal to move him at this point.

There is a very real chance Perlini steps in as our 5th best forward. I know that’s not hard to do, but still improves us in the short term which we need. Tanking or not being as bad as the Wings have been the past few weeks damages many player’s confidence

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Maybe I’m just skeptical in nature, although I like the thought process here, I’m wondering if this posturing. I wonder if it’s the first domino to fall and it signals another deal like a Mantha or Athanasiou deal.

Obviously it could lead to Hirose/Smith/Svechnikov being sent down, but this is an interesting one. He’s gonna replace someone in the top 9 and possibly top 6 if I had to guess.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not huge on this as I really liked Regula. But, on the other hand I get to hate London once again.

Hope it works out.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Maybe I’m just skeptical in nature, although I like the thought process here, I’m wondering if this posturing. I wonder if it’s the first domino to fall and it signals another deal like a Mantha or Athanasiou deal.

Obviously it could lead to Hirose/Smith/Svechnikov being sent down, but this is an interesting one. He’s gonna replace someone in the top 9 and possibly top 6 if I had to guess.
I would not be surprised at all to see Athanasiou wearing a different sweater come April.

Dude seems frustrated and probably knows this year may cost him millions

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
On the current roster including Perlini we have 7 LW. Someone either will be sent down, waived or traded? Our LW include Hirose, Svechnikov, Abdelkader, Erne, De La Rose, Bertuzzi, 7 LW doesn't sound right.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
On the current roster including Perlini we have 7 LW. Someone either will be sent down, waived or traded? Our LW include Hirose, Svechnikov, Abdelkader, Erne, De La Rose, Bertuzzi, 7 LW doesn't sound right.

Because many of them play different positions. Abby has played both LW and RW. DLR has played all three forward positions. Svechnikov and Erne haven’t been on the ice at the same time. There are a lot of work arounds.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
23 years old, former 1st round pick.

I like the trade. Even though I feel like we are way to heavy in the 23-year-old department.
Regula is putting up nice numbers but doesn't have NHL stuff, in my opinion. Hopefully I'm not wrong about that.

But here's what I f***ing hate.
We've got WAY TOO MANY young wingers already. Almost 23-year-old Svech is already out of a job with 23-year-old Erne back. And 23-year-old Hirose still taking a spot.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
not really a fan of this one

always had a pretty high opinion of regula(even before the draft was hoping the Wings would pick him)

guess Yzerman sees a reclamation project worth taking a chance on in Perlini when he demanded a trade,we'll see how it works out I guess but i've always felt Regula has some underrated upside to him so won't be shocked if it backfires in an ugly way either

Regula wouldn’t slot in above Hronek or Seider on the right side anyway.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Perlini has some upside to him. Noticed him a lot when he was with the Yotes. Apparently didn’t get much of an opportunity with Chicago. Yzerman is looking for some low risk high upside players and this is one. We’ll see how it pans out

Reactions: Hinterland

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Because many of them play different positions. Abby has played both LW and RW. DLR has played all three forward positions. Svechnikov and Erne haven’t been on the ice at the same time. There are a lot of work arounds.
I figured that, my hope was to waive Abdelkader but likely not to happen, Smith or Hirose would probably be sent down with Erne due to come back very soon. Maybe Svechnikov.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Meh, okay carry on. Low impact deal but might find a player who can score decently in a third line role as a winger (15-20) if it works. If not won't be a worry to not sign or trade for a potential 2-4th rounder if he pots in 15+ this year potentially.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

All Hirose, Svechnikov, Abdelkader and Bertuzzi have played also RW.

Quite a big guy. Nice speed.

It's nice to get a hockeyplayer to our horrible offence, and lose a prospect, who was at least 2-3 years away from NHL.

Reactions: decaguard

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
He will be if he plays the 2020-21 season in the OHL. He's not an overager in any way shape or form right now. You are probably right that he's not a big loss but he's having a very credible season that is not due to him being an overager.

Have a credible season in the OHL doesn't mean that much. Now if he continues to develop he could turn into a decent NHLer. But I would't oversell how a 19 year is doing on London the best run franchise in the CHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad