Confirmed with Link: Wings trade Alec Regula for Brendan Perlini

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
All this anger for a guy that hasn't even done anything on a pro-level. Ijzerman gambled on the upside of Perlini, and by now, can we even call it a loss? Maybe Regula becomes a career AHL'er, we do not know. We have plenty of D's in the pipeline (Seider, Tuomisto, Barton, Johansson, McIsaac, Setkov?) who can fill Regula's spot.

What upside?this is his 3rd team in 3 years that should have been a bright red flag from the get go to anyone , hes got zero goals and isnt in our plans so yes its a loss

You can name all those dmen but for all we know everyone outside seider and maybe mcisaac make the nhl. We all know dmen take longer to develop so i dont know how anyone can say a 6’4 19 yr old dman getting over a pt a game and competing for u.s spots on junior tournaments is going to be a bust , we already know perlini is one

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
lol, you told him no then basically repeated what he said.
I was just trying to be funny....

But Perlini is a trade bust even if Regula has minimal value. If anything he has family ties to the organization, so I'm sure it was a disappointment to him. (Yeh, I know it's a business, feelings don't matter, etc)

Watch his highlight videos, and you gotta wonder what happened to that kid though. I mean he shows absolutely nothing on the ice, whereas he had some puck skills with AZ>

Reactions: nhlisawesome

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Yeah it's really weird but obviously Blashill isn't the right coach he can't get shit out of the young guys

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I think this trade feels like a loss right now but I think it's a minimal loss and was worth taking a shot on.

I wouldn't entirely give up on Perlini being a decent NHL player. He's only 24 at the end of the season and prior to this year had actual NHL seasons with 14 goals in 57 games, 17 goals in 74 games, and 14 goals in 68 games. Did whatever skills he had that scored those goals just vanish? I'm not saying the Red Wings should keep him, just saying I don't think he should be run out of the NHL like some of you seem to want to do.

Reactions: Snuggs and 14ari13

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
What upside?this is his 3rd team in 3 years that should have been a bright red flag from the get go to anyone , hes got zero goals and isnt in our plans so yes its a loss

You can name all those dmen but for all we know everyone outside seider and maybe mcisaac make the nhl. We all know dmen take longer to develop so i dont know how anyone can say a 6’4 19 yr old dman getting over a pt a game and competing for u.s spots on junior tournaments is going to be a bust , we already know perlini is one

No its not. For it to be "a loss" what we gave up needs to be better then what we gained, and that is an unknown at this point. Definitely not "a win", but dishonest to call it "a loss".

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think this trade feels like a loss right now but I think it's a minimal loss and was worth taking a shot on.

I wouldn't entirely give up on Perlini being a decent NHL player. He's only 24 at the end of the season and prior to this year had actual NHL seasons with 14 goals in 57 games, 17 goals in 74 games, and 14 goals in 68 games. Did whatever skills he had that scored those goals just vanish? I'm not saying the Red Wings should keep him, just saying I don't think he should be run out of the NHL like some of you seem to want to do.
He's run himself out of the NHL, we've got nothing to do or say about it. Most players only get one chance, some get 2. Fail with 3 teams, and it's the AHL or Europe.

Whatever he had, he's somehow lost it. It's so bizarre I can't even speculate, especially considering his age. The player we see here isn't the same player that was playing in AZ. Considering he's been like that since day 1 here, I can't blame the coaches (and I am NOT a Blash fan).

The only other hockey player I can think off with such a steep drop-off at a young age (not including health issues) is Jim Carrey, but we all know goaltenders are headcases.

In any case, I see no reason to sign him for GR, he probably doesn't get a QO. He can PTO somewhere else and/or head to Europe.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
No its not. For it to be "a loss" what we gave up needs to be better then what we gained, and that is an unknown at this point. Definitely not "a win", but dishonest to call it "a loss".
Dude , id rather have a 19 yr old 6’4 dman prospect averaging over a pt a game than someone whos been a utter waste with literally one goal this season and likely gone by the start of the next one . Its a loss in my book

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
You have to wonder if any other NHL team will give him a 1 way contract now. Question is, do we offer him a 2-way contract?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Dude , id rather have a 19 yr old 6’4 dman prospect averaging over a pt a game than someone whos been a utter waste with literally one goal this season and likely gone by the start of the next one . Its a loss in my book

Totally understand your logic as to why you would prefer to have Regula, however you can't win or loose anything until you realize what you actually gave up.
It would be like saying that you won a hand of poker before you see what your opponent has. You "win" or "loose' once everyone reveals their cards.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Totally understand your logic as to why you would prefer to have Regula, however you can't win or loose anything until you realize what you actually gave up.
It would be like saying that you won a hand of poker before you see what your opponent has. You "win" or "loose' once everyone reveals their cards.
I was never a fan of the trade from day 1 and couldnt understand why we gave up regula for a guy who was now on his 3rd team in 3 years . I knew all i had to know

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
You have to wonder if any other NHL team will give him a 1 way contract now. Question is, do we offer him a 2-way contract?
Id throw him in the garbage now but im sure yzerman will want to keep him around under a new coach , hopefully he can get 10-15 goals and we can ship his ass out of town.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Id throw him in the garbage now but im sure yzerman will want to keep him around under a new coach , hopefully he can get 10-15 goals and we can ship his ass out of town.
You've watched him play, right? I don't see anything there at all. Even if he scores a few goals, there is absolutely nothing else to his game.

I'd rather give Svech, Smith, Raz, or even Pearson the chance to play. Get rid of the dead weight (Ehn, Erne, Perlini) and give the prospects a chance. Also put Abby and Nielsen in the pressbox, they can be extras.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
In our case we’re basically almost batting for 100% minus the fabbri deal

The Fabbri deal is the point of deals like this. You take a multiple swings and hope to hit a HR which he did. Nobody is going to get a HR every time. Regula hasnt dont anything yet, I have zero issues with Yzerman trying. Most likely this deal is a wash and both players end up being insignificant. All the best to Regula though, hope the kid proves me wrong.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
You've watched him play, right? I don't see anything there at all. Even if he scores a few goals, there is absolutely nothing else to his game.

I'd rather give Svech, Smith, Raz, or even Pearson the chance to play. Get rid of the dead weight (Ehn, Erne, Perlini) and give the prospects a chance. Also put Abby and Nielsen in the pressbox, they can be extras.
Im not disagreeing with you , just cant see yzerman dumping BOTH erne and perlini in the trash , much rather see all 4 you mentioned play but i think he wont give up on them completely

unless someone says here’s a 5th for perlini and takes him off our hands , maybe a team like mtl who have two 5ths and are stacked full of smurfs and cant attract free agents

Id like to see maybe helm get dealt on draft weekend as well to create another roster spot , hold on to glendening for next deadline since we’ll have trash yet again , and although i wanna see as many kids up as possible id like to see us sign someone like galchenyuk x1 and hope he can get back to 20-25 goals and hopefully ship him out on deadline day .

This trade deadline was pitiful and it’ll likely be the same unless we add a couple trade bait guys, otherwise people will have to be ready for the pain of possibly dealing away a mantha

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
The Fabbri deal is the point of deals like this. You take a multiple swings and hope to hit a HR which he did. Nobody is going to get a HR every time. Regula hasnt dont anything yet, I have zero issues with Yzerman trying. Most likely this deal is a wash and both players end up being insignificant. All the best to Regula though, hope the kid proves me wrong.
Dude he got f***en lucky lets not get carried away , he can try another 40 deals like hes been doing and they all turn into duds, and im not even sold on fabbri being here longterm and likely a 3rd line guy as of next season . Did we win the deal?sure , but i think alot of ppl need to chill on fabbri

Why is it likely regula becomes insignificant? Last i checked he had good chances of being a 3rd pairing guy. The chances of tuomisto etc.. of never making it are just the same , anyways your fine with the deal he made i think it was stupid and pointless . All good

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I think saying the Red Wings were swinging for the fences with Perlini and Erne is ridiculous. I understand everyone's points about asset management in a vacuum. But from a player evaluation standpoint, we were better off letting a player that would never get a shot otherwise fill those spots, then players that have already proven that they have no future like Perlini, Erne and Bowey.

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
In our case we’re basically almost batting for 100% minus the fabbri deal

Yeah, thats kind of how it works though, For every minor move you make for guys like Erne/Fabbri/Perlini/Comrie/(insert name here) they only work out about 1 out 10 times.

Change of scenery sometimes helps like with Fabbri but most of the time, more often than not for sure, these guys just don't work out and it's why the cost was so minimal to get them.

Perlinin didn't work out, swing and miss, happens, time will tell how bad it was or if it mattered at all depending on Regula. Prolly should be considered a flopped trade but it's not a costly move or one that puts the franchise back so I don't understand peoples anger against the move. We have 3 RHD defensemen above Regula, (Hronek/Lindstrom/Seider). I'm not sure Regula will be a NHLer either let alone better than them three guys.

Giving up a 4th for Erne was a little more ridiculous to me. But hardley even worth an eye roll really, it was just another swing an miss. They'll be a lot of misses for guys looking for a change or scenery or new opportunity.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

I would love to see Lucasavicius also. Always brings it in the preseason.

Imo, he has at least as much upside as Hicketts had for his call ups. Players like that it's almost impossible to stick, but sometimes you get a motivated/motivating 30 game stretch where they play on cloud 9 and hold the spot down as a bit of a force instead of a glaring low octane development project.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Yeah, thats kind of how it works though, For every minor move you make for guys like Erne/Fabbri/Perlini/Comrie/(insert name here) they only work out about 1 out 10 times.

Change of scenery sometimes helps like with Fabbri but most of the time, more often than not for sure, these guys just don't work out and it's why the cost was so minimal to get them.

Perlinin didn't work out, swing and miss, happens, time will tell how bad it was or if it mattered at all depending on Regula. Prolly should be considered a flopped trade but it's not a costly move or one that puts the franchise back so I don't understand peoples anger against the move. We have 3 RHD defensemen above Regula, (Hronek/Lindstrom/Seider). I'm not sure Regula will be a NHLer either let alone better than them three guys.

Giving up a 4th for Erne was a little more ridiculous to me. But hardley even worth an eye roll really, it was just another swing an miss. They'll be a lot of misses for guys looking for a change or scenery or new opportunity.
The delarose for fabbri deal made sense , last i checked we’re beyond stacked with 4th line guys you take away fabbri and delarose does anyone miss delarose on the team?

To me prior to the season everyone knew how shitty our defense was ans still is , its beyond brutal so it made no sense to me to give up on a 6’4 19 yr old whos an early 3rd for a guy whos been tossed around by teams just because he was a former first , by that logic we should have dealt for milano or honka and “risk it”

No one knows what regula will be or hronek etc... everyone knows though dmen develop much later than forwards and considering how awful our situation at d is id have rather kept him since again, we never know what will become of tuomisto etc... i find it hard to believe the hawks would have said no to a 5th for perlini at the time but anyways

Erne deal was just as ridiculous to me , as i stated we’re beyond stacked with bottom 6 guys on this team, so stacked someone like a rasmussen who was up all last season didnt even get a sniff .

Id much rather avoid those types of deals , we want to add something? Fine add a galchenyuk for free july 1 for one year , hope he pops 20-30 again and ship him for a few picks . We want to add a reject player send back a reject player , we want another perlini, send an ehn . No need to deal 19 yr old kids for failures

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Dude he got f***en lucky lets not get carried away , he can try another 40 deals like hes been doing and they all turn into duds, and im not even sold on fabbri being here longterm and likely a 3rd line guy as of next season . Did we win the deal?sure , but i think alot of ppl need to chill on fabbri

Why is it likely regula becomes insignificant? Last i checked he had good chances of being a 3rd pairing guy. The chances of tuomisto etc.. of never making it are just the same , anyways your fine with the deal he made i think it was stupid and pointless . All good

No need to get upset, nothing I am saying is personal.

I'm not disagreeing that Perlini appears to be a dud, all I am saying is that its not being honest to say we "lost" until we see what Regula becomes, and from what I have read he appears to be a guy destined for the AHL/ECHL who may sniff a third pairing at some point. If you have read differently, I'd be more then happy to read any projections/opinions to the contrary.

And again, my point with Fabbri is not that he is some elite talent, but that Yzerman took 3 shots (Erne, Fabbri, Perlini) and that I am happy with the result of one working out (even if he is a third line guy). I believe to have trades like these workout, you need to fire multiple shots.

Its not that I am OK with the Perlini trade in the sense that I liked it. If I could go back in time and undo it I would since there is pretty much no chance of us winning it. But I understand the logic of the big picture, and Yzerman making these types of moves. To each their own I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad