Speculation: Wings spare parts at the deadline (Actually, the tank thread)

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
We are still building towards a Stanley cup winner. What’s the point in trading for Kane who may retire in 2-3 years. We need younger players to build with not trade them away which is what Chicago will want

Reactions: Snuggs

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Have you ever looked into the shit Chelios got to before he came to Detroit, and afterwards?

I was at a Motor City Mechanics game during the lockout in 04-05, Chelios was on the roster and was supposed to do a signing afterwards. They let the fans wait for an hour and then came out and said he refused to do the signing. He passed by a group of fans who were complaining about it after the game and flipped them off. I've heard this was his standard behavior towards fans during his time in Montreal, Chicago, and Detroit. He's also gotten arrested at least three times and told police (in 1990, MN) that he was going to ruin their lives. He was one of the prime players in trashing the Olympic hotel room back in the 90s. The guy is an asshole and Detroit fans still loved him after he came here.

Again, Kane has had a lot of rumours and allegations around him but Chelios is 100% an asshole from the time he wakes up to the time he goes to sleep. Dirty player on the ice and a huge asshole off of it. His only redeeming factor for Wing's fans was that he wore their sweater, but I know a lot of Wings fans who were sick in 1999 when Holland acquired him.
I'm not going to expend much energy defending the character of Chris Chelios. I know he's fully capable of being a dick. I've met him twice and he was cool with me both times. Signed a copy of his book and gave it to me once. Ripped on Givani Smith when he was still working for Detroit lol. But yes, I know some Chelios stories, let's just say he's not a nice drunk.

Kane is still worse in my book. You play men's league long enough in Chicago, and with people who have first-hand stories, you learn things.... Chelios may be an a-hole, but Kane is a straight up gross dude, and that's about the nicest way I can put that. Not a guy I ever want to see in Detroit, but to each their own.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Really..?

No offence but that's bananas...
Sports is entertainment, which is an inherently subjective thing. There are certain players, for various reasons, that I absolutely could not stand to see on the Wings, and wouldn't watch a single game if they were added to the team (because the product would no longer be entertaining, regardless of the level of success of the team).

Nobody else needs to share that extreme an opinion. But I have my villains, and to me it's very black and white. (Not to pretend that anybody not on "the list" is a choir boy. But once a certain level of douchebaggery is reached, they're blackballed altogether.)

I wouldn't take a Patrick Kane (or Brad Marchand, or Tom Wilson, or Corey Perry) if they cost $1 and were guaranteed to bring the Wings another Cup.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Marek on his show mentioned the interesting idea and 'such an yzerman move' if he went out and snagged Meier from SJ.
He did play under Boughner so there's some familiarity.

Question is, what would it cost? Obviously we would need a sign and trade type deal for it to make sense.
Do you sell them on taking Zadina and a change of scenery, to play with someone they just obtained a month or so ago, Kaut? IIRC they played together at the WJ but i could be wrong.
Something around Zadina, a non-2023 first rounder, maybe in order to keep Edvinsson and Kaspar out of their mouth, you have to move Wallinder? idk really but it would sure make for an interesting lineup. We would definitely need to move out some forward bodies.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Marek on his show mentioned the interesting idea and 'such an yzerman move' if he went out and snagged Meier from SJ.

Question is, what would it cost? Obviously we would need a sign and trade type deal for it to make sense.
Do you sell them on taking Zadina and a change of scenery, to play with someone they just obtained a month or so ago, Kaut? IIRC they played together at the WJ but i could be wrong.
Something around Zadina, a non-2023 first rounder, maybe in order to keep Edvinsson and Kaspar out of their mouth, you have to move Wallinder? idk really but it would sure make for an interesting lineup. We would definitely need to move out some forward bodies.

Quite sure 2023 1st rounder is a lock, before you can start any dreaming about Meier.

Yeah, Zadina could be one piece, LHD prospect for sure + other adds.

Last edited:
Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

Pros : One heck of a player, only 26 years old
Cons : RFA in the summer, 10M qualifying offer if not re-signed before

Comparable trades : Debrincat (1st, 2nd and a 3rd), Fiala (top D prospect Faber and a 1st) or Mantha (Vrana, Panik, 1st, 2nd).

Pick your poison:

1st, 2nd, 3rd
Wallinder (can't see Edvinsson going the other way) + 2023 1st
Berggren, Vrana, 1st, 2nd

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1676986082209.png

After this:

1676986061845.png

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
oh.... this whole time I thought Meier was a center. Not really understanding the hype then.

If he makes it to UFA, sure take a swing. But I don't see how trading a 1st++ is a consideration

Pretty sure there is something wrong with me and I just can not differentiate between Timo Meier and Tomas Hertl for some reason. I think I specifically searched out Hertl's stats last week thinking he was the guy available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Detroit Knights

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I’d love to see Kaner in a Wings sweater. Douche? Yup. Otherworldly f***in talented? Yup.

I don’t want to hear from any of the people who complain about not having exciting hockey any complaints about trying to acquire Patrick Kane.

I would love to see Larkin get Kane on his wing again like he’s had in some exhibitions and international tournaments

People complain about the thought of Kane in Detroit as if he isn't the best American hockey player of all time and wouldn't make the team much more talented and watchable.

Before anyone responds to me.... yes, he is better than that whataboutism that popped into your head. We will see what happens as Matthews and Hughes continue their careers.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
oh.... this whole time I thought Meier was a center. Not really understanding the hype then.

If he makes it to UFA, sure take a swing. But I don't see how trading a 1st++ is a consideration

Pretty sure there is something wrong with me and I just can not differentiate between Timo Meier and Tomas Hertl for some reason. I think I specifically searched out Hertl's stats last week thinking he was the guy available.

He is not UFA yet, only after next season. That kind of player has a lot of value, still RFA.

Also there's that 10M quali offer, and you should be able to outbid it, by front-loading the contract.

Imo, this is only technical issue. Roope Hintz deal was made this way:

11M, season 2023-24, 27-year old at season end.
11M
8.5M
8.5M
8.5M
8.5M
6.0M
6.0M, season 2030-31, 34-year old at season end.
-------
8.5M per year on average, high early salary, which is more than his 10M quali offer for 2023-24 season. That should please him to forget that.

Reactions: izlez

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
People complain about the thought of Kane in Detroit as if he isn't the best American hockey player of all time and wouldn't make the team much more talented and watchable.

Before anyone responds to me.... yes, he is better than that whataboutism that popped into your head. We will see what happens as Matthews and Hughes continue their careers.
Mike Modano is a legitmate arguemnt. Especially considering the era's they played but...

Red Wings aren't in a real position to snag Kane and make a run. It's really the only reason I'm against it. Red Wings would have to trade for him and then still add more to be legit cup contenders.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

The hype is that he has 66 goals in his last 134 games. That's a 26 year old who can play a bit of a power game on a 45 goal pace this season.

Basically, he's doing all of the things that we collectively hoped (in some cases believed) that Mantha would eventually do. Whether he's worth the price is a completely different discussion.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Mike Modano is a legitmate arguemnt. Especially considering the era's they played but...

Red Wings aren't in a real position to snag Kane and make a run. It's really the only reason I'm against it. Red Wings would have to trade for him and then still add more to be legit cup contenders.

It's no a legitimate argument in my eyes. In terms of accomplishment, Kane has a 3 Cups, a Smythe, a Hart, an Art Ross, a Calder. Compared to Modano's 1 Cup.

Kane maintained a 1.05 points per game clip in the regular season, and 0.97 in the playoffs. Modano was at 0.92 and 0.83 respectively.

Skill wise it's a non-discussion.

The one thing that Modano has is his longevity, cut short of 1500 games by a ethically inept human being. Kane would have to play 5 more seasons to touch that number, which I don't know if he does. He's capable of it, but once he leaves Chicago, I'm not sure how long he lingers around as a hired gun.

Anyways, way off topic.

I am curious if Yzerman was able to swing a deal for Meier, if he would be open to also moving Bertuzzi to recoup some of the assets. Basically swapping in a player that he feels more confident in giving a longer deal to. Of course this depends on the perception of Meier and if Yzerman would even want to take on a negotiation like that.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Quite sure 2023 1st rounder is a lock, before you can start any dreaming about Meier.

Yeah, Zadina could be one piece, LHD prospect for sure + other adds.
then just make it lotto protected and call it a day, win win.

im not saying id do it, love it, or anything.. more so was talking out loud on what he mentioned on his show and what we would potentially have to move out. IMO, Kasper and Edvinsson are non-starters. After that, ok well talk.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It simply doesn't feel as though Detroit should spend multiple future assets on adding 34-year old rentals. If we want to go all-in, acquire someone like Meier who we might at least be able to re-sign and build around.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It simply doesn't feel as though Detroit should spend multiple future assets on adding 34-year old rentals. If we want to go all-in, acquire someone like Meier who we might at least be able to re-sign and build around.
Exactly this. Any assets spent this season better be for a player with a 5-6+ year future with the Wings.

If Steve wants to drop a 2-3 year offer with Kane in the summer, fine. But no trade assets.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I’d love to see Kaner in a Wings sweater. Douche? Yup. Otherworldly f***in talented? Yup.

I don’t want to hear from any of the people who complain about not having exciting hockey any complaints about trying to acquire Patrick Kane.

I would love to see Larkin get Kane on his wing again like he’s had in some exhibitions and international tournaments
Me too.

1676992704924.png

Reactions: Oddbob

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Have you ever looked into the shit Chelios got to before he came to Detroit, and afterwards?

I was at a Motor City Mechanics game during the lockout in 04-05, Chelios was on the roster and was supposed to do a signing afterwards. They let the fans wait for an hour and then came out and said he refused to do the signing. He passed by a group of fans who were complaining about it after the game and flipped them off. I've heard this was his standard behavior towards fans during his time in Montreal, Chicago, and Detroit. He's also gotten arrested at least three times and told police (in 1990, MN) that he was going to ruin their lives. He was one of the prime players in trashing the Olympic hotel room back in the 90s. The guy is an asshole and Detroit fans still loved him after he came here.

Again, Kane has had a lot of rumours and allegations around him but Chelios is 100% an asshole from the time he wakes up to the time he goes to sleep. Dirty player on the ice and a huge asshole off of it. His only redeeming factor for Wing's fans was that he wore their sweater, but I know a lot of Wings fans who were sick in 1999 when Holland acquired him.
I've always disliked chelios besides all of this. When I was younger, I played against his son (son thought he was hot shit but was just a puck hog and terrible at everything he tried to do) and my mom said oh hey, your grandpa is getting a signed puck for you from Chelios, so he will be back in a second.

I told my mother to shove the puck up his ass (I was 9)

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

I literally had the same issue and have no idea why. I thought hertl was meier and meier was hertl. I mean, I guess they look alike?

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
DET
Meier

SJS
Rasmussen
Zadina
Vrana
Conditional 1st.

All three are NHL players with experience and two of them are under the age of 24. That would get the deal done, pending an even bigger overpayment. If they need a D prospect, then take out Vrana (perceived negative or low value?) for Wallinder.

Just depends on what Grier wants to do. They will either full rebuild or retool on the fly and this helps the retool, but is most likely for a rebuild. They are going to trade Karlsson at some point and I would wager that Couture is next (after meier of course).

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
DET
Meier

SJS
Rasmussen
Zadina
Vrana
Conditional 1st.

All three are NHL players with experience and two of them are under the age of 24. That would get the deal done, pending an even bigger overpayment. If they need a D prospect, then take out Vrana (perceived negative or low value?) for Wallinder.

Just depends on what Grier wants to do. They will either full rebuild or retool on the fly and this helps the retool, but is most likely for a rebuild. They are going to trade Karlsson at some point and I would wager that Couture is next (after meier of course).
Three roster players is a bit much.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Not based on anything, but I feel like Bertuzzi ends up with BOS. Feels like a good add for them for a team that doesn’t need to fill any obvious gaps but compelled to make a deadline add to give them a bit of gas going into the playoffs. Bert can fill a lot of different roles for them including top six winger or bottom six pest and depth scoring, gives them more options in the off-season to plug holes with Pasta, Krejci, and Marchand and make a decision on mix in case someone leaves or retires..

And more than anything that it just hasn’t really be talked about or mentioned and if Bert moves, I think it goes to a place where literally all the “insiders” never mentioned.

Dunno, I just can’t shake that’s where he goes…

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
DET
Meier

SJS
Rasmussen
Zadina
Vrana
Conditional 1st.

You found a way to make a deal that gets Meier and might make the team worse in the present and future.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad