Speculation: Wings spare parts at the deadline (Actually, the tank thread)

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I wonder if there is a 3 way trade out there involving Bertuzzi and Meier?

To Edm/NJD/NYR: Bertuzzi (50% retained)

To SJ: 3rd team's 1st + Wallinder + Detroit/NYI 2023 2nd + (JP/?)

To Detroit: Meier

Of course this is more of a base and will need to be modified for an actual deal to happen.

Edm would have to send out Puljuarvi to either SJ or Det. I'm inclined to say SJ can have him. If they view it as more of a cap dump Id give JP a chance in Detroit.

Would SJ need another piece to get it done? Roster player? Another pick? Zadina, Veleno, Fabbri, all offer something different. Losing Fabbri/Veleno would sting but I would be open minded to make a deal work.

I suspect the 3rd team may prefer going for Meier themselves but if that proves too costly perhaps this could fit as a win-win-win.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I'd be cool with one young roster player, preferably not Rasmussen, our first (lottery win protected) a prospect not named Ed or Kasper and maybe a lesser pick if need be.

I don't see Vrana having any value for the Sharks because they'd rather just keep Timo then.

And depth is the one thing we don't need to trade for. As is evident by your offering 3 players we could replace from within.

Well, Vrana with 50% retained salary in his contract year next year is a nice rebound candidate, who can be flipped at the next deadline for additional assets - that has some value.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
I wonder if there is a 3 way trade out there involving Bertuzzi and Meier?

To Edm/NJD/NYR: Bertuzzi (50% retained)

To SJ: 3rd team's 1st + Wallinder + Detroit/NYI 2023 2nd + (JP/?)

To Detroit: Meier

Of course this is more of a base and will need to be modified for an actual deal to happen.

Edm would have to send out Puljuarvi to either SJ or Det. I'm inclined to say SJ can have him. If they view it as more of a cap dump Id give JP a chance in Detroit.

Would SJ need another piece to get it done? Roster player? Another pick? Zadina, Veleno, Fabbri, all offer something different. Losing Fabbri/Veleno would sting but I would be open minded to make a deal work.

I suspect the 3rd team may prefer going for Meier themselves but if that proves too costly perhaps this could fit as a win-win-win.
Wings would have to give more, likely a lot more.

Giving up UFA Bertuzzi, Wallinder and 2nd does not get us anywhere near Meier.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

It all hinges on whether Bertuzzi fetches a 1st if he stays hot.

STL is apparently in play for Meier. ROR and Tarasenko don't have a hope in hell of fetching Meier. The two 1st round picks they got for them? That's a hefty offer that would be hard for anyone else to match.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

While I get where you are coming from are the Sharks going to get a better deal than a 1st + a top prospect + 2nd + a decent roster piece? It is pretty comparable to the Eichel trade (granted there were health factors there but Meier has his own set of factors).

I am obviously assuming a team will value Bertuzzi at a 2023 1st - we'll see.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
No, that’s not what it boils down to.

And frankly, there is gonna be a Bedard every couple years. You think there won’t be… but honestly, the top of the draft is gigantic hits more than it is flops.

Give me the playoff chance and then the possibility of us scooting up with a bullshit lottery win after finishing just out of the playoffs. We tried the whole “sucking really bad” thing. Let’s try something different

Can only move up 10 places.

Even then the odds are suspect.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So... Do we send down a D when Ray gets back?

Do we institute a rolling forward rotation to keep them all fresh?

We legitimately have too many NHL level forwards.

Unless Fabbri's leg died again and this whole post is moot....

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
What's the move here at the deadline then if this isn't a simple sell? I highly doubt Yzerman would offload picks at this point for veteran depth given a) we want that time to go to our kids so they can get some playoff experience b) we need the picks still to keep fleshing out our pipeline ideally, so spending them on rentals seems foolhardy.

Hockey trades seem like an obvious answer?

Meir? Chychrun? Who else is out there that is young enough, and good enough to add to the core where spending 1st, + Prospects, +Roster makes sense?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
So... Do we send down a D when Ray gets back?

Do we institute a rolling forward rotation to keep them all fresh?

We legitimately have too many NHL level forwards.

Unless Fabbri's leg died again and this whole post is moot....
Yzerman needs to Trade away some, sooner is better

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
What's the move here at the deadline then if this isn't a simple sell? I highly doubt Yzerman would offload picks at this point for veteran depth given a) we want that time to go to our kids so they can get some playoff experience b) we need the picks still to keep fleshing out our pipeline ideally, so spending them on rentals seems foolhardy.

Meir? Chychrun? Who else is out there that is young enough, and good enough to add to the core where spending 1st, + Prospects, +Roster makes sense?
Nothing that isn't a legit top 6 forward. We have depth forwards falling out our ass right now. D we are good.

If there is a play where we can snag Meier without crippling us (ie multiple 1sts or Kasper/Ed), that's a play we need to pursue.

Also, A's and veteran voice in the room and on the bench or not, Perron at this point needs some reduced minutes and ditto Chiarot.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Nothing that isn't a legit top 6 forward. We have depth forwards falling out our ass right now. D we are good.

I think it's a step beyond that, I think it needs to be a upside Top 6 Forward, or an upside Top Pair D whose still young enough to be major contributor between the two cores (specifically 20yr - 28yr); like...adding Patrick Kane at this point, despite being a Top 6 Winger, makes zero sense

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yzerman needs to Trade away some, sooner is better
Likely, but I'd like him to add first if he plans on adding. Easier to sell trading off a guy to the room if you can introduce the newbie first.

I think it's a step beyond that, I think it needs to be a upside Top 6 Forward, or an upside Top Pair D whose still young enough to be major contributor between the two cores (specifically 20yr - 28yr); like...adding Patrick Kane at this point, despite being a Top 6 Winger, makes zero sense
Exactly. Yeah, no way anything we add should be 30.

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan

nah any buying will happen in off-season. I still think Bert gets moved if someone offers a first. Wings have basically played the entire season without him. Could also see them being a broker for a contender and getting an extra pick that way. Wallman gets re-signed for $3x3

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Come to think of it, Horvat would of been perfect for this team now. Imagine Bergy/Horvat/Vrana 2nd line.

Damn Islanders, stupid old Lou.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I think it is Meier or bust in terms of adding pieces. He's also not a rental so it'd be perfect. It would make the team better the rest of this season and in future years as well.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'd like Meier but I think people are vastly underestimating the cost.

Likely two 1st rdp's, prospects, player, imo. Something like this.
Red Wings trade F Filip Zadina, LHD William Wallinder, Carter Mazuer, 1st round pick, and a 1st round pick in 2024.

Sharks trade F Timo Meier.

If Greier can't get something like that then I think he'll pay him the QO, and do this again next season. They could keep him and get good quick(if they move Karlsson).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Timo Meier smells just too much for a New Jersey Devil.

There's also too much Swiss cheese connection at New Jersey. Meier will probably want to join that rising contender, with Swiss countrymen Hischier and Siegenthaler, and lock himself there. Also their backup goalie is Swiss, so it's a bit community there.

Think I smelled the Devil.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
If the top teams continue loading up and the Jeannot deal is an indication of a big-time sellers market, I'd still prefer to try to keep Bertuzzi and focus on shopping a guy like Perron. He seems like a good piece for a contender to go after to help them make the push this year and next that could get a nice return for us with retention

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Glad to at least see some Wing news with the new contract for Walman and that they are shopping Tyler again. I like that Steve keeps a tight ship, but not hearing any rumours makes it kind of bland as we are never in the rumours to be trading anyone or getting anyone.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The below is speculation from The Hockey Writers based on Dreger reporting Yzerman wants a 1st + for Bertuzzi.

Dreger noted that the Red Wings are looking for a first-round pick and more in any move centering around Bertuzzi. When looking at some of the returns sellers have gotten this season, this is a reasonable request. Thus, a potential package Boston could send to Detroit for him could include their 2024 first-round pick, 2026 second-round pick, 2024 fourth-round pick, Johnny Beecher, and Mike Reilly. With that, the Red Wings would need to retain half of Bertuzzi’s $4.75 million cap hit. The Bruins could also get a third team to retain 25% of Bertuzzi’s salary by sending them their 2024 fifth-round pick.

Reactions: sepster

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2