Speculation: Wings spare parts at the deadline (Actually, the tank thread)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
With the Horvat sweepstakes over (for now) and Detroit falling further from the wild card spot, what happens with their spares?

Guys I think have a good chance of being moved:

Erne
Suter
Bert
Sunny (noooo!!!)
Lindstrom
Hagg
Oesterle
Maatta
Ned
Zadina

The wings have to ice an NHL roster so these guys can’t just be shipped out only for picks and prospects that aren’t ready to play. But these guys might have some use for teams fighting for the playoffs.

Who would make good dance partners when trading any of the above? What do you think the other teams would send back in return?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm going to rank them in order of likely trade value:

Maatta - Top 4 capable, defensive defenseman. Always in demand.
Bertuzzi - Wildcard. Could be great as a rental. Could be what he's been all year. High risk/high reward for the renter.
Zadina - I don't want to trade him now. His value is the lowest it can possibly be, but he's a cost controlled warm body that we'll need if we move a few of these guys and he might decide to figure out his funk.
Sundqvist - If we don't get a decent 2nd, keep him
Erne - trade for whatever to whoever needs a banger
Suter - trade for whatever to whoever that needs a spare center
Ned - trade for whatever to whoever wants a backup to their backup
Lindstrom - trade for whatever to whoever needs RHD
Oesterle - trade to whatever to whoever needs a warm body
Hagg - No one would claim him if waived IMO

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Bertuzzi - Wildcard. Could be great as a rental. Could be what he's been all year. High risk/high reward for the renter.
Zadina - I don't want to trade him now. His value is the lowest it can possibly be, but he's a cost controlled warm body that we'll need if we move a few of these guys and he might decide to figure out his funk.

I could see a team like Pittsburgh going after Maatta since they have familiarity. He might be worth a 2nd and 3rd, or maybe someone gets desperate and we get a late 1st? It happened with Chiarot.

Bert looks like a good fit for Calgary. They’re in the west wild card race and need some help, and Sutter loves guys like Bertuzzi. I’d move him for a prospect and pick, or a pick and a lower lineup guy like Dubé.

Sunny is a heart and soul kind of guy and I like what he brings this roster. i would love to keep him but if someone overpays by giving up a 2nd for him then I keep him and get him a new contract.

Erne might also find some use on a team like Calgary or Nashville. He’s got a lot of hits and I can again see someone like Sutter going after him.

Suter can take a hike. I don’t expect anyone to be in on him, especially a playoff team, but who knows?

Lindstrom is the RD equivalent of Christofer Ehn. If he were to play in any league his stat line probably looks the exact same. Move him to Edmonton in the hope we can get a do over with a new pick.

Oesterle has been considerably better than Lindstrom as the 3RD. Unless the return is a 3rd or better I’m actually inclined to keep Oesterle this season.

Hagg is probably even worse than any of the guys down in Grand Rapids, and that’s saying something.

Reactions: Hughes Hefner

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I think a guy like Perron could fetch some decent value, a team like Toronto may want to add playoff experience. A late 1st or a decent prospect wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, I was going to say that Perron is ...an interesting add for playoff team looking for secondary scoring on their 2nd line + 2nd PP. He's going to have to waive off his NMC; but I always got that Perron signed with us because we treated him right when he felt pretty insulted by how he was treated in STL; given his age and goals at this point, I think he would be amenable to being moved to a contender seeing where was are at this point in the rebuild.

Perron to a team like NY Rangers feels like a smart fit. This is a team that struggles to score, much of their offense centers around their top line, and they have a slew of setup guys (on the wing and from the blue line) and adding in a shooter like Perron could help round out some pretty dangerous 2nd unit.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Really wish we would have sold Bertuzzi high a season or two ago :(

I could see Erne and Maatta for some picks

Zadina is wishful thinking he's just going to fizzle out and get picked up by another team and fizzle there.

Reactions: MVPete96

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think Maatta and Sunny are the most likely to be moved. Easy sells to playoff teams, wouldn't be surprised if we got a 2nd for both. I'd shed a tear or two for both of them but you're not gonna get a 2nd giving up guys like Oesterle or Hagg.
I don't think they're gonna do a firesale, we're past that. We need quality picks and I think they're only gonna sell who will get them those. May as well keep the lower tier guys for organizational depth. The more guys we sell the worse GR gets and we want them as good as possible for the kids down there.

appiepi

Nov 17, 2021
We should be looking at moving Kubalik and Perron. Theh are great players signed for another year with low caphits. They would bring so much value to cap strapped teams. I'd imagine Perron would probably want to compete for cup anyway given his age.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I think Maatta and Sunny are the most likely to be moved. Easy sells to playoff teams, wouldn't be surprised if we got a 2nd for both. I'd shed a tear or two for both of them but you're not gonna get a 2nd giving up guys like Oesterle or Hagg.
I don't think they're gonna do a firesale, we're past that. We need quality picks and I think they're only gonna sell who will get them those. May as well keep the lower tier guys for organizational depth. The more guys we sell the worse GR gets and we want them as good as possible for the kids down there.
I think you're right but I hope they keep Sunny. I think he should be extended and kept around in case we make an actual playoff push next year.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
We should be looking at moving Kubalik and Perron. Theh are great players signed for another year with low caphits. They would bring so much value to cap strapped teams. I'd imagine Perron would probably want to compete for cup anyway given his age.

I wouldn’t want to trade Perron.

For Kubalik I would need a 1st otherwise im keeping him

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Perron caphit is still a bit problematic, because he has that extra year. I see him staying and could be traded next year.

Kubalik caphit is so low, that even with that extra year, you can fit that to almost all contenders. He is very potential bait.

At same time, when Vrana is getting back on track, during next month we could trade Kubalik and replace him with Vrana without missing a beat.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
With the Horvat sweepstakes over (for now) and Detroit falling further from the wild card spot, what happens with their spares?

Guys I think have a good chance of being moved:

Erne
Suter
Bert
Sunny (noooo!!!)
Lindstrom
Hagg
Oesterle
Maatta
Ned
Zadina

The wings have to ice an NHL roster so these guys can’t just be shipped out only for picks and prospects that aren’t ready to play. But these guys might have some use for teams fighting for the playoffs.

Who would make good dance partners when trading any of the above? What do you think the other teams would send back in return?
Lindström, Hägg, Oesterle, Nedeljkovic and Zadina do not have real value at the TDL imo.

Määttä & Sundqvist should be popular among playoff teams looking for depth additions.

Bertuzzi should not move for less than a 1st round pick. Re-sign him otherwise, short-term.

Erne and Suter could have minor value.

Going to guess we move Määttä, Sundqvist and Erne for a 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kubalik for some conditional contender 1st (~30 range)
Walman for 2023 2nd
Sundqvist for 2024 2nd
Määttä for 2023 3rd
Suter for 2024 3rd
Nedeljkovic for 4th
Oesterle for 5th
Erne for 6th
Hägg for 7th

That would be a nice package.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Raymond
Berggren - Copp - Perron
Fabbri - Rasmussen - Vrana
Söderblom - Veleno - Zadina
(Czarnik, Luff)

Edvinsson - Seider
Chiarot - Hronek
Johansson - Lindström
(McIsaac)

Husso
Hellberg

Maybe one UFA LhD will stay. :) Don't think Yzerman is gonna sell all Määttä, Oesterle, Walman, Hägg.

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

Zadina:
1675173337385.png

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I think the ones that are most likely to be dealt are Erne, Suter, Sundqvist and Maatta.

There's a good chance that Bertuzzi signs a contract similar to Mangiapane at 3 years at 5.8M or there's a chance that he actually gets traded to CGY, he seems like a Sutter-type of player. It's so hard to figure out his situation.

I think Walman gets extended (5M x 5 years).

I think that next year's D lineup could be :

Walman - Seider
Chiarot - Hronek
Edvinsson - Trevor van Riemsdyk

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yes. Who besides Seider and Raymond on the big club are irreplaceable? Because those two are the only ones I see as fitting that. One might caterwaul about Larkin being irreplaceable but he’s not. The only player that is currently giving me pause is Hronek but there are questions if this year is a fluke. Other than that the team is full of spare parts and broken players.

Reactions: taliababa

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I think you're right but I hope they keep Sunny. I think he should be extended and kept around in case we make an actual playoff push next year.
I think the organization tipped their hand on Sundqvist this week. Doesn’t seem like he is in the plans.

Even if he isn’t traded, I would be shocked if we have any interest in extending him.

He is 28 years old and the team just healthy scratched him because it was a back to back. He only played 11 minutes in the first game and had 10 days off after the second game.

They then doubled down after the game and said they don’t intend to use him in any back to backs going forward. Sounds like he will be rotating in and out as a healthy scratch rest of the way, unless there are injuries.

Either they are sending him a message bc they think he is out of shape. Or they just don’t think he is good enough to be an every day player (on a mediocre team). Both are red flags for an extension.

(Sorry Ogeee…. *ducks*)

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think the ones that are most likely to be dealt are Erne, Suter, Sundqvist and Maatta.

There's a good chance that Bertuzzi signs a contract similar to Mangiapane at 3 years at 5.8M or there's a chance that he actually gets traded to CGY, he seems like a Sutter-type of player. It's so hard to figure out his situation.

I think Walman gets extended (5M x 5 years).

I think that next year's D lineup could be :

Walman - Seider
Chiarot - Hronek
Edvinsson - Trevor van Riemsdyk
No shot Walman commands a $5M AAV. He's 26 with barely 100 games played. Maybe half that at half the term.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yes. Who besides Seider and Raymond on the big club are irreplaceable? Because those two are the only ones I see as fitting that. One might caterwaul about Larkin being irreplaceable but he’s not. The only player that is currently giving me pause is Hronek but there are questions if this year is a fluke. Other than that the team is full of spare parts and broken players.
It's not digital. There's a wide spectrum in between "irreplaceable cornerstone" and "spare trash".

Make a few deals where the return is worthwhile. But don't completely gut the roster to start over, because they do have several useful players to continue to build upon.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
What are you smoking?

18-19min Dmen won't get 5M contract.

And he has scored less than Chiarot, both total and per game.

Walman will probably get same money as Määttä at last summer. With longer term.
I didn't know how much he's worth, so the best way is to propose a number and see the reaction. I now know!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00