Speculation: Wings spare parts at the deadline (Actually, the tank thread)

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Three roster players is a bit much.
It is, but Meier is worth it, especially when those three players can be replaced internally or we can trade our STL 2nd round pick for a middle/top6 player to add depth.

You found a way to make a deal that gets Meier and might make the team worse in the present and future.
How so?

Zadina is never going to make a significant impact. I like how he has played since coming back, but be honest with yourself. Rasmussen is good and I think will get better, but Meier is better than him. Vrana seems to be in a bad place with management, so having him in the organization is a problem. The conditional 1st, from what I have been reading, is a start, so we have to have that added.

It is also rare that a significant acquisition at the deadline doesn't get an extension if they are pending UFA/RFA

So I ask again, how so?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It is, but Meier is worth it, especially when those three players can be replaced internally or we can trade our STL 2nd round pick for a middle/top6 player to add depth.
I'd be cool with one young roster player, preferably not Rasmussen, our first (lottery win protected) a prospect not named Ed or Kasper and maybe a lesser pick if need be.

I don't see Vrana having any value for the Sharks because they'd rather just keep Timo then.

And depth is the one thing we don't need to trade for. As is evident by your offering 3 players we could replace from within.

Reactions: SirloinUB

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Not based on anything, but I feel like Bertuzzi ends up with BOS. Feels like a good add for them for a team that doesn’t need to fill any obvious gaps but compelled to make a deadline add to give them a bit of gas going into the playoffs. Bert can fill a lot of different roles for them including top six winger or bottom six pest and depth scoring, gives them more options in the off-season to plug holes with Pasta, Krejci, and Marchand and make a decision on mix in case someone leaves or retires..

And more than anything that it just hasn’t really be talked about or mentioned and if Bert moves, I think it goes to a place where literally all the “insiders” never mentioned.

Dunno, I just can’t shake that’s where he goes…
Bertuzzi is, in fact, going to Boston. On March 11.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I'd be cool with one young roster player, preferably not Rasmussen, our first (lottery win protected) a prospect not named Ed or Kasper and maybe a lesser pick if need be.

I don't see Vrana having any value for the Sharks because they'd rather just keep Timo then.
You are assuming that SJS think they still have that option. They signed Hertl to an extension but Meier is holding out, why? They are going to trade him at some point and they might as well do it now where they can get more return.
And depth is the one thing we don't need to trade for. As is evident by your offering 3 players we could replace from within.
Which is why I said "or" you can add a decent depth player for STL 2nd rounder.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You are assuming that SJS think they still have that option. They signed Hertl to an extension but Meier is holding out, why? They are going to trade him at some point and they might as well do it now where they can get more return.

Which is why I said "or" you can add a decent depth player for STL 2nd rounder.
Why wouldn't signing Timo be an option for SJ? Hertl signed his extension in mid March of his final season. And Hertl was a pending UFA. Timo is RFA. There really is no rush. Timo is playing under his current contract. That isn't holding out until training camp starts at the end of the summer.

And yet it's nowhere near enough.
Mostly because I think those pieces, barring Ras, aren't likely what SJ is looking for. And I doubt even Ras moves the needle much as a middle 6 swing man. They want kids/picks that still have legit top 6 potential.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Why wouldn't signing Timo be an option for SJ? Hertl signed his extension in mid March of his final season. And Hertl was a pending UFA. Timo is RFA. There really is no rush. Timo is playing under his current contract. That isn't holding out until training camp starts at the end of the summer.

Mostly because I think those pieces, barring Ras, aren't likely what SJ is looking for. And I doubt even Ras moves the needle much as a middle 6 swing man. They want kids/picks that still have legit top 6 potential.
Literally, 2 players under 23 and a 26 year old goal scorer/a high defense prospect if swapping out vrana for wallinder.

Those are kids.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Literally, 2 players under 23 and a 26 year old goal scorer/a high defense prospect if swapping out vrana for wallinder.

Those are kids.
"that still have legit top 6 potential"

That rules out Ras and Zadina and Vrana is the same age as Timo. Wallinder should have more appeal than Vrana definitely.

I'd be more inclined to try and sell the Sharks on a Mazur/Hanas/2nd rounder mystery box. The untapped potential might have more appeal than Zadina/Ras.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Yep, that's what I was getting at. It's a lot coming from Detroit, but for what San Jose wants... it's basically nothing. It's the problem with most trade offers people make.

There was one on the main trade board about Colorado and a guy was like "I'd go balls to the wall and offer Rantanen for Larkin with a 9x8 extension". Which I'd love the hell out of the player and it's a good value trade for Detroit, because Rantanen is exceptional... but woof our C depth would just be completely eviscerated by it.

Reactions: Ararana

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
People complain about the thought of Kane in Detroit as if he isn't the best American hockey player of all time and wouldn't make the team much more talented and watchable.

Before anyone responds to me.... yes, he is better than that whataboutism that popped into your head. We will see what happens as Matthews and Hughes continue their careers.

Kane had more issues in Buffalo than the cab driver but innocent until proven guilty I guess...we can't say someone was paid off to shut up and go away because it smelled that way.. I guess.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You found a way to make a deal that gets Meier and might make the team worse in the present and future.
How so? Zadina and Vrana are both currently providing absolutely nothing. I'd hate to lose Rasmussen, but the other two could disappear tomorrow and nothing would change.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
How so? Zadina and Vrana are both currently providing absolutely nothing. I'd hate to lose Rasmussen, but the other two could disappear tomorrow and nothing would change.
Disappear you say? Might I suggest a method that can launch a 90 kg object several hundred meters away?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Disappear you say? Might I suggest a method that can launch a 90 kg object several hundred meters away?
Dang, I can never remember which is which. Catapult, trebuchet, catapult, trebuchet...

Hey Drake! Help a guy out.

e0f8244474ffd1f157d40f3a8311f90d38-trebuchet-03.2x.w710.jpg

Thanks, man!

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
Would you guys rather have a 2% chance at winning a playoff series or a 2% chance at drafting Bedard? Feels like that’s what it all boils down to

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Would you guys rather have a 2% chance at winning a playoff series or a 2% chance at drafting Bedard? Feels like that’s what it all boils down to

No, that’s not what it boils down to.

And frankly, there is gonna be a Bedard every couple years. You think there won’t be… but honestly, the top of the draft is gigantic hits more than it is flops.

Give me the playoff chance and then the possibility of us scooting up with a bullshit lottery win after finishing just out of the playoffs. We tried the whole “sucking really bad” thing. Let’s try something different

Reactions: SoupNazi

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

And frankly, there is gonna be a Bedard every couple years. You think there won’t be… but honestly, the top of the draft is gigantic hits more than it is flops.

Give me the playoff chance and then the possibility of us scooting up with a bullshit lottery win after finishing just out of the playoffs. We tried the whole “sucking really bad” thing. Let’s try something different
Well hang on now. Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. If we're going to do this right, let's be thorough and take a straw poll.

Question:
Does Detroit have any chance whatsoever at drafting Bedard?

Results:
1wcd1u.jpg

Ok then. The people have spoken. Carry on.

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan

The Rangers disagree with you.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
The Rangers disagree with you.

You’re not guaranteed for the player to be a star, but just look at the top couple picks of most drafts. They’re usually damn good players.

Sucks for the Rangers that the guys they took didn’t hit like gangbusters. There still have been more and bigger hits in the top 3 than busts recently.

Reactions: SoupNazi

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
You’re not guaranteed for the player to be a star, but just look at the top couple picks of most drafts. They’re usually damn good players.

Sucks for the Rangers that the guys they took didn’t hit like gangbusters. There still have been more and bigger hits in the top 3 than busts recently.

I'm not so shocked that Kappo Kakko isn't a major success but Lafreniere looked very much like a more physical Huberdeau in his draft year. I'm not sure what the problem was, but he's been turning it around.

Alexis Lafreniere’s dominant stretch continues for Rangers

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
If we get really lucky maybe we can draft at 15. That's how we got our best player last time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad