Confirmed with Link: Wings sign Weiss 5 yrs 4.9m/yr (Conf Post #197 & #1 Updated))

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I go to sleep with HFBoards open. I refresh when I wake up and slowly, with my eyes barely open, look for the "CONFIRMED: CLEARY SIGNED FOR 3X3 POST #133"

Don't you dare jinx us

I'm still mad someone made a "Cleary leaving" thread WAY too prematurely, given the Red Wings M.O.
That was pretty much the kiss of death.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I can picture Holland tapping his fingertips together like Mr. Burns as he smirks at the "Cleary Leaving" thread.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I go to sleep with HFBoards open. I refresh when I wake up and slowly, with my eyes barely open, look for the "CONFIRMED: CLEARY SIGNED FOR 3X3 POST #133"

Haha first thing I have done the last couple days is reach for my phone and open this bookmark. I was so close to liking the Pens when they were rumoured to be heavily interested. I just want someone to make it end..

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Haha first thing I have done the last couple days is reach for my phone and open this bookmark. I was so close to liking the Pens when they were rumoured to be heavily interested. I just want someone to make it end..

And then Nill dropped the ball! Man.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan of this signing, but its still a move in the right direction. And replacing Filppula with Weiss is certainly much more than a "wash," as some are suggesting. Weiss is basically everything Filppula is capable of, but could never bring together consistently.

Pbottfeld

Jul 7, 2013
No. He's not.

Hi everyone, panther fan here, Weiss is a typical hockey guy. Lots of heart, cared a lot about Florida, but it made no sense for him to want to stay as we continue our rebuild since 1996. He gave us ten+ years but did not live up to expectations. With a new team, a much more talented one, I would assume his numbers will improve, I don't know how much , but it's a good assumption.

He has a bad wrist, but when he's not hurt he should give you 16-25 goals and 30-40 assists. Somewhere around the 45-60 point total pending ice time ,pp time and his health.

Hope this was informative and best of luck on your upcoming season.

Johnny Law

Sep 16, 2008
Philadelphia
My sister lives in FL and I've seen Weiss play a bunch. He's an improvement over Flip and I liked Flip. Much better on the PP, he's a dangerous PP guy and a more consistent scorer 5v5.

I was disappointed about this at first but the more I think about it the more I like it.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
My sister lives in FL and I've seen Weiss play a bunch. He's an improvement over Flip and I liked Flip. Much better on the PP, he's a dangerous PP guy and a more consistent scorer 5v5.

I was disappointed about this at first but the more I think about it the more I like it.

Thats exactly what we need. A real 2C that improves our 2nd line and allows a stud line of Z and Datsyuk together.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Thats exactly what we need. A real 2C that improves our 2nd line and allows a stud line of Z and Datsyuk together.

Right on. Flip wasn't going to get played at 2C. Weiss allows the Euro Twins to attempt to rekindle some of that offensive magic once again.

On this forum we've often talked about giving Datsyuk a talented player who can hang with him and bury the puck. Well, Zetterberg isn't a bad option!

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
On this forum we've often talked about giving Datsyuk a talented player who can hang with him and bury the puck. Well, Zetterberg isn't a bad option!

Excellent point. The only difference is that it's not just a name that we assume Datsyuk would thrive with. It's a proven commodity. And the way they played together to finish the season and against Anaheim in round 1 should only confirm that they still make great linemates. Making sure that we have that 3rd piece in place is the key though IMO. If Abby isn't working out I'd hate for Babcock to split 13 and 40 rather than having the sense to try another member. Before Holmstrom was put with them back in 07-08, Sammuelsson was given a chance. It didn't work out so he tried Homer and all of a sudden they took off like gangbusters. That 3rd member of the line can get underrated in their contribution. Chemistry among all 3 is important.

Aussiesenator

Jul 5, 2013
U have to remember Weiss has been playing dud lines in Florida for a while..
He will shine this year with some good
Players on that second line.. Alfie will also be effective with z-berg . Ottawa fan here but I had money on red wings aswell.. Weiss is very underrated .

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
U have to remember Weiss has been playing dud lines in Florida for a while..
He will shine this year with some good
Players on that second line.. Alfie will also be effective with z-berg . Ottawa fan here but I had money on red wings aswell.. Weiss is very underrated .
The big thing for me is that Weiss has had to do heavy lifting in FLA for a long time now. He's been Stephen Weiss, #1 center out of necessity, and he's been playing against that sort of opposition too. So for Weiss to come in and play secondary minutes is going to be a breath of fresh air. He'll play against a lot of second pairings and get some third pairing matchups at times, and he should be able to do some serious damage there.

I've maintained for a while now that Filppula's struggles on the PP have really hurt the second unit, so the addition of Weiss could really help there. They could ice a unit with Tatar, Weiss, Nyquist, Kindl, and maybe Smith. I have to think those guys could do better than what we've seen from the #2 unit the past 2-3 years. Not being so incredibly reliant on the #1 PP unit will really help the team across the board, too.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Having Cleary on your 2nd PP unit doesn't help either.
I think Cleary can actually do his job, though. His job is to start **** in front of the net. The problem was that he never really got to do that because the rest of the PP had no chemistry and had serious problems maintaining possession. I've never seen a PP have such problems making simple passes to each other.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Cleary can actually do his job, though. His job is to start **** in front of the net. The problem was that he never really got to do that because the rest of the PP had no chemistry and had serious problems maintaining possession. I've never seen a PP have such problems making simple passes to each other.

He did his main role well, I agree there, but I thought he killed possession a lot when he got the puck away from the net and tried to engage in the cycle, or gaining the zone.

Filppula should have done a lot better as being the go-to puck possession player on that unit. Don't think Cleary helped matters though.

Think our PP will be worlds better if both are gone next year. Feel like Weiss and Nyquist could have some magic together. Just a hunch.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

That and teams almost always left Cleary open to force him to gain the zone. It was a great subtle strategy, but you would see it a lot. Trying to force zone entries to Cleary was done with great success.

His role is in front of the net, but it is also to vacate and be a puck retriever at times, he wasn't exceptional there either.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Very reminiscent of the Ray Whitney signing 10 years ago.

Whitney gave us 43 points in 67 games the year he was here, which was definitely below what a lot of us expected. He also played only 16:30 a game - much lower than the 20+ minutes he was getting the two seasons previous. He clearly didn't live up to expectations but, in hindsight, the role he was given wasn't the one a lot of us expected him to have.

Johnz96*

Whitney gave us 43 points in 67 games the year he was here, which was definitely below what a lot of us expected. He also played only 16:30 a game - much lower than the 20+ minutes he was getting the two seasons previous. He clearly didn't live up to expectations but, in hindsight, the role he was given wasn't the one a lot of us expected him to have.

And then he went on to to produce at a much greater rate with weaker teams.

Weiss will probably get about similar ice-time with the Wings, much lower than the 20 mins he is used to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad