Wings sign Filppula to a 2 year deal

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
When Holland made those signings we were trying to win.

I can't believe (well I guess I should believe) some of the reactions here (not just you) to a couple of 2 year deals, no one should have expected any big signings.

SFY is simply plugging some holes.

I honestly wanted no UFA signings. But I figured maybe Yzerman would think out of the box a bit, maybe try some cheap reclamation projects to fill emply spots/etc., not have Holland enter his mind like Professor Xavier...

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Isn’t that what Nielsen is for?? Who’s signed until age 38. Maybe signing another guy until 37 for that is not needed here...
Nielsen was signed for 6 years (iirc), Filppula has just been signed for two.
If Veleno is NHL ready next year we can just trade someone or just send someone down. He likely won't be this year and a year in the AHL would be great for his development.

Reactions: Goalie guy

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I don’t hate this move. At least he is a high iq player who can allow us to have 3 so called scoring lines even if they aren’t good scoring lines. Would be happy with:

Bert- larkin- mantha
Hirose- fil- AA
Svechnikov/rass- Nielsen- zadina/Valeno
Abby- glenny- helm
Ehn

Not a great forward group but is decent. I want two of Svechnikov, rass, Valeno, or zadina on the team. That should be the camp battle

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Vanek wasn't a C? Unless you mean unnecessary vet player on the roster?
It could be to replace Vanek in that he had 16 goals and 36 points. Flip had 17 goals and 31 last seasons.

I personally would rather play the kids even with the potential of sucking, but based on what happened last season and not having Vanek I guess there's still room for kids to get some ice time?

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I don't mind it at all. Flip has always been really good the neutral zone and on zone entries. It will open up some space for the young wingers.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
This isn't NHL 19... You can't ice a line up of kids for year after year and wait for them to develop to the point they can win. You need vets, ask Edmonton and Buffalo how they are doing.... Sure we haven't been a good team lately but you need to allow the prospects to play when they decide for themself they are ready. We are in a rebuild, these are two year deals... Probably all expiring around the time Yzerman is hoping we can start a playoff push. These vets will help shelter and insulate the youth, and allow them to not get their confidence and development crushed by playing way above their heads.

Holland signed Nielsen for 6 years... Yzerman signed a couple of 2 year deals.

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
To me the only reason to have vets on this team for a while is to mentor/teach the noobs. Flip already knows the system and is a smart player so hopefully he fits that bill.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
They want to let the kids develop in GR. It's not a bad plan. Let's ice a stopgap lineup in Detroit and see if we can land another big draft pick this time next year. Patience and all.

We have seen that plan for the last 5 years or so. How is it working out?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
For sure. Puzzled as to why we brought him back and what the plan is with the logjam of average middle 6 aging C's but that AAV/term for Flip really isn't bad at all..
I guess if this keeps Abby and Helm buried on the 4th line or scratched (I can dream), then I'm a lot happier about it.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nielsen was signed for 6 years (iirc), Filppula has just been signed for two.
If Veleno is NHL ready next year we can just trade someone or just send someone down. He likely won't be this year and a year in the AHL would be great for his development.

If their game doesn’t drop off a cliff where they no longer have trade value... Which at their age is pretty possible.

Reactions: Zetterbeer

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
This isn't NHL 19... You can't ice a line up of kids for year after year and wait for them to develop to the point they can win. You need vets, ask Edmonton and Buffalo how they are doing.... Sure we haven't been a good team lately but you need to allow the prospects to play when they decide for themself they are ready. We are in a rebuild, these are two year deals... Probably all expiring around the time Yzerman is hoping we can start a playoff push. These vets will help shelter and insulate the youth, and allow them to not get their confidence and development crushed by playing way above their heads.

We have plenty of crappy vets. Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm, Glendening, Ericsson, Daley, Kronwall (maybe), Dekeyser, Howard, Bernier. How many crappy vets does one team need for "veteran leadership?"

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

Exactly. We don't want Veleno, Zadina, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, and Hirose all on the team losing every game, not good for their development. Let the ones who are best at camp play in the NHL, then let the rest play in the AHL. None of these guys are like Nyquist in 2013-14, they could all benefit from a year in the AHL (except maybe Hirose).

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
We have seen that plan for the last 5 years or so. How is it working out?

5 years ago we didn't have Zadina, Cholo, Veleno, Rasmussen, and Seider... Among others. The pipeline is actually becoming stocked now... 5 years ago we had nothing really and thought we would just make the playoffs for 30 years as a number 7-8 squad.

Reactions: NickH8

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
We have plenty of crappy vets. Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm, Glendening, Ericsson, Daley, Kronwall (maybe), Dekeyser, Howard, Bernier. How many crappy vets does one team need for "veteran leadership?"

I wouldn't put Kronwall, Dekeysee, Helm, Howard or Glendenning in the category of crappy vets. Abdelkader and Nielsen occupy those spots pretty well.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If their game doesn’t drop off a cliff where they no longer have trade value... Which at their age is pretty possible.
If their game drops off a cliff then just send them down. If Veleno can't take the spot of a vet who's totally done then maybe he's not NHL ready.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Which player do you think gets to center the Filppula, Helm, Nielsen 3rd line? /s

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Not gonna lie kinda lack luster blaa on this but it gives time for Joey V to play in gr, and opens us up to getting rid of Helm or Frans or both really.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
5 years ago we didn't have Zadina, Cholo, Veleno, Rasmussen, and Seider... Among others. The pipeline is actually becoming stocked now... 5 years ago we had nothing really and thought we would just make the playoffs for 30 years as a number 7-8 squad.

5 years we were doing the same thing. Clogging the roster with veterans wasting the young players in GR.

We had nothing 5 years ago eh; we had Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, AA in the pipeline.

This veteran BS needs to stop it is just slowing down the rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad