Wings sign Filppula to a 2 year deal

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bert, etc. don't need more vets to teach them how to play pro hockey. They are now, and have been, the leaders of the team. Signing more, washed up vets isn't going to help anyone.

Nor is it going to hurt anyone.
Do you expect to be in contention for the cup next year? What about the year after, do you expect to compete for the cup then? This signing has no negative impact on the team whatsoever. Most of our prospects need to at least start in GR this year and when injuries hit they will be called up. Filp is not going to hold anyone back. He's a stop gap while we wait on Veleno to develop.

And if you think Larkin, Mantha, Bert and AA have nothing left to learn from other vets around the league you're kidding yourself.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Nor is it going to hurt anyone.
Do you expect to be in contention for the cup next year? What about the year after, do you expect to compete for the cup then? This signing has no negative impact on the team whatsoever. Most of our prospects need to at least start in GR this year and when injuries hit they will be called up. Filp is not going to hold anyone back. He's a stop gap while we wait on Veleno to develop.

And if you think Larkin, Mantha, Bert and AA have nothing left to learn from other vets around the league you're kidding yourself.
The other thing is, AA needs someone who can get him the puck.
Flip's always been a good passer.
Zadina might benefit from Filppula, too.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bert, etc. don't need more vets to teach them how to play pro hockey. They are now, and have been, the leaders of the team. Signing more, washed up vets isn't going to help anyone.

They aren’t “vets” yet. They are still younger players. Having an extra mentor to fall back on doesn’t hurt at all, especially when that player is a Stanley Cup winner with loads of experience.

Reactions: vladdy16

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
They aren’t “vets” yet. They are still younger players. Having an extra mentor to fall back on doesn’t hurt at all, especially when that player is a Stanley Cup winner with loads of experience.

To be honest, I don't think it's about "vets" and "mentors."
I think it's about skills.
Flip is a center. We needed a center.
Nemeth is a LD who PKs. We needed a LD who PKs.
They're both on cheap, short contracts. Both guys have high profile prospects who could unseat them next year or the year after.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Ok, so you're fine with the contracts for Nielsen, Ericsson, Abdelkader (Cup Winner), Helm (Cup Winner) and Daley (Cup Winner)?

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Ok, so you're fine with the contracts for Nielsen, Ericsson, Abdelkader (Cup Winner), Helm (Cup Winner) and Daley (Cup Winner)?

Those were signed at a different point in time. I was furious when Abdelkader got his horrendous contract. Helm was over paid as well, but there was a little promise to his game. Ericsson I didn’t particularly care about.

Fast forward to a few years later when we signed Nielsen and Daley, I was fine with the signings. Those were two areas we vastly needed to improve on. Nielsen was one of the top players available and he had great chemistry with Vanek in the World Cup tournament; which sadly never translated to real games that mattered...

If you’re asking me about the contracts right now at this point in time... the only one I have an issue with remains to be the Abdelkader contract. Asides from his apparent leadership skills, he brings absolutely nothing to this team.

The other guys are needed vets to help the younger guys grow and to show them what it takes to be a Red Wing. They are stop gaps. They will all be gone before this team is relevant again, hence why personally I don’t see a huge issue with the bulk of them being there.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Abby didn't win a cup, did he?
All those contracts were awful on day one.
The signing of Filppula really shows how bad the Nielsen contract is.
Here's a guy who's every bit as good as Nielsen.. and he gets a 2x$3M contract.
Nielsen still has 3 more years at $5.25.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Abdelkader isn't a Cup winner. He played 2 games that season, 0 games in the playoffs.

Oh thought he still got his name on it in 2008 for some reason. Oh well. Either way, he still played on a contending team! That's valuable veteran experience he can pass along to Larkin and Bertuzzi!

Abby didn't win a cup, did he?
All those contracts were awful on day one.
The signing of Filppula really shows how bad the Nielsen contract is.
Here's a guy who's every bit as good as Nielsen.. and he gets a 2x$3M contract.
Nielsen still has 3 more years at $5.25.

But Nielsen is still a vet with experience! Mantha can lean on him when he's having a down period in practice.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Oh thought he still got his name on it in 2008 for some reason. Oh well. Either way, he still played on a contending team! That's valuable veteran experience he can pass along to Larkin and Bertuzzi!

But Nielsen is still a vet with experience! Mantha can lean on him when he's having a down period in practice.
Ha. Yeah its funny how much "leadership" gets regurgitated in articles about how bad Abdelkader's contract is.

I know he has an A on his sweater but after the craptacular season he just had, real leadership would be busting your ass in the offseason and during next season and meeting with the coaching staff to try and figure out how you can fill a meaningful role on the team.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
Flip doesn’t bother me at all, the ntc is kinda dissapointing but it’s not like we are getting a high draft pick for him if we trade him either way. If in the next two seasons veleno is ready to take his spot that’s a really good problem. At that point we can move a 4th liner off the roster and shake it up however we need to for veleno to be with us.

For comedic value, I’m curious to see how many throwback flip jerseys I see at the LCA my next game I go to.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
NTC for a player with no trade value is so meaningless that if it helps in bringing the salary or term down it's worth doing.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Is this a joke?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
For comedic value, I’m curious to see how many throwback flip jerseys I see at the LCA my next game I go to.
I'm sure quite a few. There's some marketing and fan consideration in this signing. Look on the team FB page, there are people excited to see him back.

If the team is going to sign a gap stop washed up vet, it might as well be someone with local fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad