Wings send Cholowski to GR

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Vets lol... Where's the Accountability? Ha

There is none for the vets unfortunately. It's always that way with this organization. Justin Abdelkader is junk, yet plays on the first line most nights haha.

In the end, I think this is good for him, and it makes following GR a bit more fun. They're looking like they could go on another deep run. I'm ready for Zadina to break out, what better time than the playoffs?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't disagree with sending Cholo down, and missing his bobblehead night is a big nothing, imo. Benching him out west when family and friends realistically could have seen him for the only time this whole season was a crap move, though. In the end, the kid will hopefully play a lot of games out west and will have the money to fly family in for games and what not. But I think that's something players, especially young ones, really look forward to. Just a stupid thing to do, imo.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Lol @ costly mistakes.....we're 28th ffs rip a couple slapshots past Howard for all I care.

Reactions: mantha39

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
It boggles my mind how people on this board can continue to defend every decision this coach and GM make. This team has one of the highest payrolls in the NHL and is on pace for a bottom-5 finish. They constantly make statements like "rebuild is almost over!" when the team is a dumpster fire and they've done nothing to fix it. Then they piss on their prospects and expect them not to bolt as soon as they hit UFA. I haven't watched a game this season and refuse to invest a minute or a cent in this team while Wingus and Dingus are running the show, and threads like this reassure me that I'm right in that decision.

Seriously, this team is bottom 5 because our coach and GM are inept. Not because they are trying to tank. Sending rookies to the AHL and playing overpaid vets when you have exactly 0 shot at making the playoffs is ineptitude and professional malpractice. There is no upside to sending Cholowski down. It doesn't matter how many mistakes he makes, he will learn more in the NHL than he will in the AHL and the only thing at stake this season is draft position. I wonder if Hughes is starting to have nightmares about getting drafted by the Wings...

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
From a development standpoint, playing a lot in GR, is better than sitting or playing 10 mins a game in protected shifts. He needs PK time which he will never get this season in Detroit.

At what point does he lose his waiver exempt status next year?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My issue with this, is that we are at the bottom of the league anyways, so who cares if he makes too many mistakes? Are we losing twice each loss if he makes "too" many mistakes? While he hasn't played well, and maybe the move will be great for him, saying he is making too many mistakes when we are losing anyways is a silly notion. If we were semi-competitive or fighting for a playoff spot, then absolutely no issue with this, but not when we are a bottom 3 team. Cholo, Hronek and Ras should all be getting a decent amount of ice time, since we are losing with all these super valuable veterans anyhow.

No issue with him missing bobble head night, as that is a nothing burger, but not letting him play in Vancouver is poor decision making by Blashill and one that would probably have bugged more than just Cholowski in the locker room.

Reactions: Christien

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't disagree with sending Cholo down, and missing his bobblehead night is a big nothing, imo. Benching him out west when family and friends realistically could have seen him for the only time this whole season was a crap move, though. In the end, the kid will hopefully play a lot of games out west and will have the money to fly family in for games and what not. But I think that's something players, especially young ones, really look forward to. Just a stupid thing to do, imo.

More important was to slot all vets on the roster who are trade baits.

And Cholowski needed that roster move to be eligible for AHL playoffs.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
At what point does he lose his waiver exempt status next year?

He won't lose it next year.

He's waiver exempt for the next two seasons unless he plays 108 more NHL games.

Even if he got called back up today and played every game the rest of the season, the earliest he could potentially lose waiver exemption would be in the 20-21 season.

Reactions: NEWing

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Dumb move. I'm not actually NOT mad at Holland for this though because if Blashill is going to bench him every game moving forward there is no reason for Holland to keep him up in the NHL just to not play. He'd be better off in the AHL playing big minutes in that scenario and I don't want Holland dictating to Blashill how to make his lines and lineups. Ultimately, this is Blashill's fault IMO....can't wait till he is gone.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, one of the additional factors at play here is that Hronek is likely higher on the depth chart than Cholowski. This move gives them the flexibility to play him instead if/when another dman gets hurt or possibly traded in the near future.

What's interesting is that they only needed to open up one roster spot to take Bertuzzi off IR, but they sent down both Cholowski and Frk. Wonder if they have something else planned.... Like re-calling Lashoff to sit in the press box and make room for Cholowski/Frk... :sarcasm:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

This is probably the only embarrassing thing about this entire ordeal. Our starting 6 defenseman have combined youth of a retirement home. Nick Jensen is the youngest at 28 years old. They have an averaged age of almost 33 years old.

I can tell you that this works as a convenient excuse, to point to the young player struggling and needing to be sent down. It's convenient because it's true...he needs the work. But I can't give management a pass for stocking up the roster with a 38yo Kronwall, 35yo Daley, 34yo Ericsson, 33yo Green and then claiming the mistakes of the only glimmer of hope on the back end is doing irreversible damage. I don't understand how it's possible that Holland and Blashill were able to completely abandon the youth movement this year. They've got Rasmussen getting the standard rookie forward treatment logging about 10 minutes a night, they've punted on all young defensemen for the year, and we are right back where we were last year, except Larkin isn't forced to be the only young player to shoulder the weight of the roster, half composed by that which resembles a dead carcass.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Dumb move. I'm not actually NOT mad at Holland for this though because if Blashill is going to bench him every game moving forward there is no reason for Holland to keep him up in the NHL just to not play. He'd be better off in the AHL playing big minutes in that scenario and I don't want Holland dictating to Blashill how to make his lines and lineups. Ultimately, this is Blashill's fault IMO....can't wait till he is gone.

If Blashill isn't doing what Holland thinks it's best, it's on Holland to fix that.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
This is probably the only embarrassing thing about this entire ordeal. Our starting 6 defenseman have combined youth of a retirement home. Nick Jensen is the youngest at 28 years old. They have an averaged age of almost 33 years old.

I can tell you that this works as a convenient excuse, to point to the young player struggling and needing to be sent down. It's convenient because it's true...he needs the work. But I can't give management a pass for stocking up the roster with a 38yo Kronwall, 35yo Daley, 34yo Ericsson, 33yo Green and then claiming the mistakes of the only glimmer of hope on the back end is doing irreversible damage. I don't understand how it's possible that Holland and Blashill were able to completely abandon the youth movement this year. They've got Rasmussen getting the standard rookie forward treatment logging about 10 minutes a night, they've punted on all young defensemen for the year, and we are right back where we were last year, except Larkin isn't forced to be the only young player to shoulder the weight of the roster, half composed by that which resembles a dead carcass.

+1. Fantastic post.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Still the same thing. Vets are for sale, teams are currently scouting them, they will play the becoming next two weeks.

First time on whole season all vets are healthy at same time, and guy like Daley hasn't played for a while. He has to get some game rhytm under his belt, if somebody plans to buy him. Maybe he is sold, or somebody else. We don't know who'll get an offer from outside, so everybody has to be on the ice.

Kids will be called back, when somebody is sold.

Last edited:
Reactions: ealong59

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
More important was to slot all vets on the roster who are trade baits.

And Cholowski needed that roster move to be eligible for AHL playoffs.
Is there any particular reason I should care about the AHL playoffs?

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Youth movement? What youth do people imagine we have to move yet? Hronek and Cholo clearly aren’t ready for full time NHL, Rasmussen is only up because he isn’t AHL eligible. We basically started the rebuild last year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seth Jones was -23 his first year in the league. Karlsson was a -35 over his first 2 seasons.

Let them learn and take their lumps in the NHL. You would think over-ripening players for years and producing 0 quality defenseman would cause us to change our methods, but here we are...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad