Wings send Cholowski to GR

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think the best place for him to work on those things is the NHL.

Sure he’s not on the level of those guys, but I think you can be out there for goals and mistakes early on and still end up fine.

I don't agree because his problems are more fundamental than theirs were. He is having problems with doing the basic things defenders need to do. And, again, Jones and Karlsson when they enter the league weren't getting the sheltered minutes he's getting, which is what makes his play really worrying. If he were on the top pairing, and this was the case, then you can chalk it up to trial by fire, but that isn't the case.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
He develops over the course of time, like all prospects.

We aren't going to agree on whether the NHL or AHL is the best place for him, so I am not particularly interested in going back and forth in a "no this is better" discussion. And at the end of the day I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I just think at this point they should ride it out, and I am not worried about whether he gets playing time in the AHL or not.
Except not all prospects develop straight from the NHL which is my point. I don't think sending him down will impede him from developing.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I see both sides of the argument but generally feel that so long as someone is not totally over their head at the NHL level, it does not hurt to keep them there and have them try to work out their kinks at the NHL level. Some kids just aren't physically ready for it or cannot-yet process the game at NHL speed. That isn't Cholo in my opinion.

Bigger issue I have is the obsession with winning when we are clearly cemented towards the bottom of the table. The focus needs to be development at this stage of the season. If you want to try to chase the playoffs over the first 40 games, be my guest. At this point, however, development is all that matters. Mistakes may cost us games, but those games don't really get us anywhere (except maybe another NHL gig for Blashill). The only reasonable justification for playing the vets heavy is to try to find a buyer at the deadline for some of them. Apart from that, youth needs to be served.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I see both sides of the argument but generally feel that so long as someone is not totally over their head at the NHL level, it does not hurt to keep them there and have them try to work out their kinks at the NHL level. Some kids just aren't physically ready for it or cannot-yet process the game at NHL speed. That isn't Cholo in my opinion.

Bigger issue I have is the obsession with winning when we are clearly cemented towards the bottom of the table. The focus needs to be development at this stage of the season. If you want to try to chase the playoffs over the first 40 games, be my guest. At this point, however, development is all that matters. Mistakes may cost us games, but those games don't really get us anywhere (except maybe another NHL gig for Blashill). The only reasonable justification for playing the vets heavy is to try to find a buyer at the deadline for some of them. Apart from that, youth needs to be served.

I agree, for a player like Ras, sending him down doesn't make sense, because he has tools that work in the NHL. Cholo on the other hand hasn't progressed since his first month offensively, but actually regressed, and his defense has been below NHL level. He needs to learn how to play defense at the bare minimum NHL level before he can play in the NHL. And the best place to do that is the AHL, where he can learn how to cover gaps better, make better and faster decisions with and without the puck, and learn how to stay in position.

Reactions: ealong59

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
The only reasonable justification for playing the vets heavy is to try to find a buyer at the deadline for some of them. Apart from that, youth needs to be served.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread too much but I've never understood that argument.

It's not like these guys are rookies or have some other dimension to their game that they haven't been able to utilize yet. They have several seasons under their belts. They've been seen hundreds of times and scouted by other teams plenty. Is displaying a vet for a few more games really going to drive their value up or down any? You'd think everyone would know what kind of player they'd be getting at this point and therefore what their value is whether they sit a few games or not.

If anything, given a chance of risking injury, you'd think they'd sit them to preserve assets if they were planning to trade them.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't want to sidetrack this thread too much but I've never understood that argument.

It's not like these guys are rookies or have some other dimension to their game that they haven't been able to utilize yet. They have several seasons under their belts. They've been seen hundreds of times and scouted by other teams plenty. Is displaying a vet for a few more games really going to drive their value up or down any? You'd think everyone would know what kind of player they'd be getting at this point and therefore what their value is whether they sit a few games or not.

If anything, given a chance of risking injury, you'd think they'd sit them to preserve assets if they were planning to trade them.

Sure, but you still need to try to show your assets in the most favorable possible light. I think it is perfectly reasonable for Daly to draw in considering he is coming off of an injury and is having a very interrupted season to date. His historical performance is only one part of the trade-value equation. Current form is a major, major factor that impacts value.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
On his bobblehead night he get sent down. You can't make this up. He is healthy scratched when he went back home too. More evidence of the circus that is now the red wings. All that's left is the inevitable winning streak at the end of the season when we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs...

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
On his bobblehead night he get sent down. You can't make this up. He is healthy scratched when he went back home too. More evidence of the circus that is now the red wings. All that's left is the inevitable winning streak at the end of the season when we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs...
circus

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If you actually think bobblehead nights and specific city a game is played in should impact lineup/roster decisions, you are arguing for the team becoming a circus.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

He was playing like a CHL player, why should he be given ice time just because its his hometown? That's a worse reason to play a player than playing the vet over the kid.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If you actually think bobblehead nights and specific city a game is played in should impact lineup/roster decisions, you are arguing for the team becoming a circus.
It's shows they have no plan. Celebrating a player that's not even in the lineup. Twist my words more tho

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

People upset about him getting sent down on bobblehead night are grasping at straws. Blashill couldn't care any less about the things the marketing department rolls out. Cholo has had a bad second half. He got benched. The thing about going home... maybe... but Cholo had certainly played poorly enough in sheltered minutes to justify being scratched.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It's shows they have no plan. Celebrating a player that's not even in the lineup. Twist my words more tho

No... it shows that the marketing department laid out promotional nights at the start of the season and Cholowski played poorly enough to deserve to get scratched in the game or two leading up to those ones. Marketing department isn't watching practices and Blashill isn't giving them the thumbs up on roster decisions.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

I wonder if people would cry foul if they had a Luke Witkowski bobblehead night and scratched him for it...

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
He hasn't played well enough to stay in the line-up. If he isn't mentally tough enough to accept he'll be playing in GR for a little while he isn't that good to begin with. Shocking stuff. But, as usual, fans are screaming Trashill and Hollandaise Sauce are awful.

Give them a reason to keep you in the line-up, or play out of it. Simple as that.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
No, Blashill is doing an awesome job. No complaints!

Given the team he has? He's definitely doing as well as anyone else. And I'll ask this question again: If Blashill isn't at least doing a good job, do you believe this team would be a bubble team/wildcard team with a different coach? If not, then this team is doing as well as it could under any coach.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Given the team he has? He's definitely doing as well as anyone else. And I'll ask this question again: If Blashill isn't at least doing a good job, do you believe this team would be a bubble team/wildcard team with a different coach? If not, then this team is doing as well as it could under any coach.
Given the team he has? He has a team at the top of the league in salary cap. Are you saying the money isn't well spent? Holland doesn't use the cap well?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad