Wings send Cholowski to GR

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Given the team he has? He has a team at the top of the league in salary cap. Are you saying the money isn't well spent? Holland doesn't use the cap well?

Which is the exact point I was making. Either the team is well constructed and Blashill isn't getting the team to play to its skill, or they are a bottom 5 team, and the record reflects the team he was given.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Cholowski has a great career ahead of him. He'll get more ice time and be ready for a return to Detroit in the fall.

On a personal side note I do hope this leads to a decrease in bobblehead interest. I'm on the market!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So Holland is good with the cap because LTIR? No problem fellas.

I mean... yes? Without the CBA change requiring the use of LTIR, the Wings would be under the cap. They have 10M in player who is never going to play again.

There have been three times where the Wings were remotely hamstrung by the salary cap. 09 when they couldn't keep Franzen and Hossa. Nyquist's first full season where he was buried in GR until enough space opened up. And when they dealt Sheahan to have breathing room to re-sign AA.

Over and over, the Wings had oodles of cash at FA time. They had a Brinks truck for Suter. They had a 7/42 deal for Niskanen, 3/18 for Boyle. They had a 7/70 deal for Stamkos. This coming offseason they've got upwards of 14 million even when they re-sign Jimmy Howard to a similar deal to what he has.

The Wings have actually been pretty flexible with the cap with what's happened to the league since 2009.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
So Holland is good with the cap because LTIR? No problem fellas.
No, I just thought you were being disingenuous with your argument in regards to how Blashill is performing with this roster. It's a "fact" I see thrown around a lot, and I've also seen you post Jeff Moss saying it, it's not really accurate though. Yes, they have the highest cap number, but that doesn't mean they have the highest paid roster in the league.

Good to see you're still a world champion scarecrow builder.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I mean... yes? Without the CBA change requiring the use of LTIR, the Wings would be under the cap. They have 10M in player who is never going to play again.

There have been three times where the Wings were remotely hamstrung by the salary cap. 09 when they couldn't keep Franzen and Hossa. Nyquist's first full season where he was buried in GR until enough space opened up. And when they dealt Sheahan to have breathing room to re-sign AA.

Over and over, the Wings had oodles of cash at FA time. They had a Brinks truck for Suter. They had a 7/42 deal for Niskanen, 3/18 for Boyle. They had a 7/70 deal for Stamkos. This coming offseason they've got upwards of 14 million even when they re-sign Jimmy Howard to a similar deal to what he has.

The Wings have actually been pretty flexible with the cap with what's happened to the league since 2009.
All this is cute but the red wings have at least 5 terrible contracts. You can glass half full all you want, the facts are we are one of the worst teams, oldest and paying the most. Seriously you are just arguing just to argue at this point...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
No, I just thought you were being disingenuous with your argument in regards to how Blashill is performing with this roster. It's a "fact" I see thrown around a lot, and I've also seen you post Jeff Moss saying it, it's not really accurate though. Yes, they have the highest cap number, but that doesn't mean they have the highest paid roster in the league.

Good to see you're still a world champion scarecrow builder.
I respect Jeff Moss' opinion regarding the wings over the majority of things said on here. Just because he is a clown and vulgar doesn't take away from him being absolutely 100% right on the state of the team. Just because you pour syrup on crap doesn't make it pancakes.... We are relying on a draft lottery to save us. And Yzerman coming home like the prodigal son...

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Actually our active roster cap number is not the highest in the league. Our cap number includes two players that will never play again.

Shhhhh Ezekial. Shhhh. That might deflate an argument. That would be anarchy.

Quiet now, that will ruin the faux outrage or in some cases misplaced outrage we see so often around here...

If you want to nitpick, I think the active cap number does include Z and Franzen because they're technically LTIR and on the roster, but I don't pretend to be an expert on these things. Either way it doesn't negate the larger point people are usually making when they cite the cap number.

This team has little cap space, a high payroll that's littered with NTC's and not a lot to show for it in the standings.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If you want to nitpick, I think the active cap number does include Z and Franzen because they're technically LTIR and on the roster, but I don't pretend to be an expert on these things. Either way it doesn't negate the larger point people are usually making when they cite the cap number.

This team has little cap space, a high payroll that's littered with NTC's and not a lot to show for it in the standings.
I was just talking active roster cap total.

The cap space really doesn't matter right now, in fact Holland detractors should be worried about how much cap space he has to work with, not how much he doesn't.
The good thing about the NTCs is if Holland doesn't give another out (obviously a hopeful statement), we only have 2 that will extend past next season, Nielsen and DDK - both 10 team no-trade clauses. Helm and Gator's will be voided, and Gator's will remain until compliance buy-out or life of the deal because it's a NTC in itself.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I think they should send Ras down as well and Go on that Playoffs Push!
Great Rebuild!

And then people wonder why so many think this team is run by incompetent morons!

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
If Blashill isn’t gonna play him then it’s smart on Holland’s part to send him down rather than have him rot in the press box. Holland cane force Blash’s hand by moving one of the 6 ahead him at the deadline though. None of them are really waiveable

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If Blashill isn’t gonna play him then it’s smart on Holland’s part to send him down rather than have him rot in the press box. Holland cane force Blash’s hand by moving one of the 6 ahead him at the deadline though. None of them are really waiveable
I think the idea is if there is a call-up due to trade or injury it will be Hronek.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm skeptical that Holland is going to make many trades. He's talked about injuries at the start of the season to his veteran d-men and that he feels the Wings would have been in playoff contention if they were healthy. He'll ride the vets the rest of the season when other teams are jockeying for better lottery odds just like we did last year. We'll likely pick outside the top 5 and then Holland will probably sign Jensen, Nyquist and Howard to new deals. He'll makes some noises about being ready to back up the brinks truck for Karlsson, Stone and Duchene but it's pretty unlikely they will even meet with him based on how previous highly coveted free agents have treated him.

He'll talk about how having the vets combined with the young guys will have us positioned for the playoffs and not mention the fact the old guys have a lot of wear and tear which makes them less reliable and that their play starts to fall off dramatically. That's how you end up paying Justin Abdelkader over $4 million per year because "he's a 20 goal scorer!!" who has averaged 9 goals per season over the previous 3 seasons and has 4 more years left on his deal.

So yeah, I have no problem sending Cholowski down. I simply don't buy that Holland is shopping Green, Daley or Jensen. He's perpetuating a self fulfilling prophecy at the end of the year to set the stage for maintaining the status quo. It's worked out real well over the past 4 years so no real reason to change I guess.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I was just talking active roster cap total.

The cap space really doesn't matter right now, in fact Holland detractors should be worried about how much cap space he has to work with, not how much he doesn't.
The good thing about the NTCs is if Holland doesn't give another out (obviously a hopeful statement), we only have 2 that will extend past next season, Nielsen and DDK - both 10 team no-trade clauses. Helm and Gator's will be voided, and Gator's will remain until compliance buy-out or life of the deal because it's a NTC in itself.
As you mention, the likelihood of Holland not handing any more out seems about as likely as Abby winning the Art Ross.

The lack of cap space is an issue in that it gives Holland less flexibility for whatever opportunities that arise. A team in the Wings position could take on a player with a bad contract in a trade as long as they throw in picks or prospects too. Instead the Wings are handing out their own bad contracts.

If it's a good thing that our GM doesn't have a lot of cap space to play around with, that means we don't have a very good GM.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I think they should send Ras down as well and Go on that Playoffs Push!
Great Rebuild!

And then people wonder why so many think this team is run by incompetent morons!

You’re right, keep the kid on the main roster simply out of principal, screw what’s best for him. They’re all morons!!

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
As you mention, the likelihood of Holland not handing any more out seems about as likely as Abby winning the Art Ross.

The lack of cap space is an issue in that it gives Holland less flexibility for whatever opportunities that arise. A team in the Wings position could take on a player with a bad contract in a trade as long as they throw in picks or prospects too. Instead the Wings are handing out their own bad contracts.

If it's a good thing that our GM doesn't have a lot of cap space to play around with, that means we don't have a very good GM.
It's not a good thing but it's not the worst thing in the world. He could trade 2 assets he has without taking on a bad contract and have 6-7 picks in the first 3 rounds of the 2019 draft. Jensen could be traded for a Smith like return and we could have 4 picks in the first two rounds again year. Let's just see if he does it or not.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If he isn't gonna play then yes he should be sent down

But iff anyone thinks that him needing to be sent down coupled with the average age and skill of our current 6 dmen isn't a reflection on Holland and blashills talents is fooling themselves..

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
All this is cute but the red wings have at least 5 terrible contracts. You can glass half full all you want, the facts are we are one of the worst teams, oldest and paying the most. Seriously you are just arguing just to argue at this point...

The two contracts signed under a different agreement with ridiculous post-signing punishments isn't something I hold against Holland. Zetterberg and Franzen should have no penalty associated with them, that they do is a ridiculous NHL problem. They approved these contracts...!!!... Sorry he figured out the hole in their system with other NHL GMs in big markets. That they let Brian Burke whine his way to that was flooring.

Hey listen you guys will say we are making him excuses. Holland is Lou at the the end of New Jersey... He isn't an idiot. A system designed to sink him sunk him. I think he can lead us out because well you know he is a top 10 all-time GM hands down. Like how Lou in good situations and even mediocre has done alright in Toronto and now Long Island. Because the deck is stacked. You guys want to run Holland, but this is literally the way the system is designed. You want to run Blashill who co-designed the system threatening the most points in NHL history with his best friend in Cooper in Tampa... I just tire of some of the arguments, have them away. But most guys that make this level know more hockey than I will know in a lifetime, Blash and Holland included.

But even then I am fine turning the team over to Yzerman. Just FYI, he lists his biggest influence as Holland and openly admits using him to build his own philosophies and team. He hired a coach with the same system. We let him take Verbeek (our biggest mistake) and make his scouting systems the same. They are similar guys. Good with Yzerman having a fresh look, but if you guys/gals think he is radically different than Holland he isn't, heck the first guy to tell you that would be Steve Yzerman...

All GMs have terrible contracts. The only unforgivable ones on the books right now for me are Abdelkader and Helm. It stinks but it will happen. Oh well doubt this is really matters for those that have made up their minds.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The two contracts signed under a different agreement with ridiculous post-signing punishments isn't something I hold against Holland. Zetterberg and Franzen should have no penalty associated with them, that they do is a ridiculous NHL problem. They approved these contracts...!!!... Sorry he figured out the hole in their system with other NHL GMs in big markets. That they let Brian Burke whine his way to that was flooring.

Hey listen you guys will say we are making him excuses. Holland is Lou at the the end of New Jersey... He isn't an idiot. A system designed to sink him sunk him. I think he can lead us out because well you know he is a top 10 GM hands down. Like how Lou in good situations and even mediocre has done alright in Toronto and now Long Island. Because the deck is stacked. You guys want to run Holland, but this is literally the way the system is designed. You want to run Blashill who co-designed the system threatening the most points in NHL history with his best friend in Cooper in Tampa... I just tire of some of the arguments, have them away. But most guys that make this level now more hockey than I will know in a lifetime, Blash and Holland included.

All GMs have terrible contracts. The only unforgivable one on the books right now for me are Abdelkader and Helm. It stinks but it will happen. Oh well doubt this is really matters for those that have made up their minds.
Dekeyser contract is bad/horrible along with Nielsen as well...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Dekeyser contract is bad/horrible along with Nielsen as well...

Not huge on them but close to market value. DeKeyser has played a lot better with Jensen as his partner this year. Almost top 4 worthy.

Nielsen is a good 2nd and third line tweener. The cap figure for those guys isn't the same as it was in 2008 despite people ignoring where the cap has gone. With his back-diving contract Nielsen isn't even impossible to move. While I don't love them, that isn't why the team stinks. The system is setup for this to happen. Gee we didn't pull off a third miracle in terms of being the best team in the league for three decades instead of two. That is actually pretty hard to do.

I used to list DeKeyser and Abdelkader together here. I think we can carry DeKeyser as we come out of this. Still wish he would actually play physically.

Just team construction is a little harder than NHL 19 and I am getting a little tired of some of the things being said. Everyone is free to say them, but I am also allowed to basically point out this is getting exhausting. We are going to be pretty bad for a little bit, freaking Sam Pollock and Scotty Bowman aren't fixing that, eventually the system designed for parity and league balance gets you whether you like it or not. It is our turn now.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
"We're going to get younger."

Rasmussen is now the only rookie on the team and he's only there because he can't be sent down. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad