Wings Select Lucas Raymond 4th Overall

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
When is he coming to N/A? Do the Wings give him a look? Or will he remain oversea for another year?

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
When is he coming to N/A? Do the Wings give him a look? Or will he remain oversea for another year?

A sports-journalist covering Frölunda recently (Yesterday) posted an interview with Raymond ( it's in Swedish https://rakapuckar.com/blog/olPrqjPpvOjYGza ).

There's nothing official, but the Journalist strong feeling when talking to Raymond is that he will play in NA (be it AHL or NHL) next season.

It's a good article, well worth the read if you are interested in Raymond.

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
A sports-journalist covering Frölunda recently (Yesterday) posted an interview with Raymond ( it's in Swedish https://rakapuckar.com/blog/olPrqjPpvOjYGza ).

There's nothing official, but the Journalist strong feeling when talking to Raymond is that he will play in NA (be it AHL or NHL) next season.

It's a good article, well worth the read if you are interested in Raymond.
Any other take-aways?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It'll be good to get him over to Grand Rapids next season. He certainly has the talent to challenge for a spot with the Red Wings, but I think his injury makes it more difficult to make the team out of camp. Presumably, he'll get much ice time in Grand Rapids than he's been getting in Frolunda.

Slim

Nov 2, 2014
Up north
Did a google translate on the article and thought I would try to correct obvious translation errors. Was too much work, gave up after a line or two (makes me feel like a keyboard Mantha atm). But here follows the uncorrected translation:

THE SWEDISH ex defender Niklas Kronwall is now an adviser to Detroit's GM Steve Yzerman, has an eagle eye on all the club's drafted talents.
Lucas Raymond was chosen as number 4 overall in the autumn. Thought as a key part of Detroit's future team building.
The hopes in Michigan's largest city are that players like Raymond and Moritz Seider (Rögle) will contribute to Detroit being counted on in the same way as when Yzerman himself was active.
Motown will be Hockeytown again.

Contact between Detroit and Raymond has been regular since the draft.
Raymond said:
- I talk a lot with Kronwall, he has been cruel (I guess more in the sense of wicked) this season. Even with Shawn Horcoff and Dan Cleary, we run zoom calls. Watching videos, talking and so on, it has been cruelly (really) helpful too. Horcoff and Cleary, two old big players, work with player development, they get clips on all Raymond's matches, go through them together with Kronwall and the main character himself:
- It is important to find the balance, support there while you are here (in Frölunda) as well. But I think it has been terribly helpful, just to be able to get this direct feedback and be able to check small details. It will be a lot considering how developed it is here in Frölunda, we watch a lot of video, so you get double up.

Can't it be too much?
- I do not think so, because I love to look at small details, try to adjust things. But I think it is from individual to individual.
Right now there is silence on the video front, it has been so for a while, Raymond injured his elbow a month ago, has had surgery with successful results, but let's be honest:
It takes a lot for the 18-year-old not to have made his last Frölunda match, at least this time.
- It is important to hurry slowly, you must not be arrogant. It's going to be tough for me to get back this season, but I think the opportunity is there, that's what I'm aiming for, I think I have to aim for it to push myself; it would not have been fun if you knew "Nothing more, pang bom, so", then I think it was difficult to motivate yourself in the gym.
Of course, the dream lives on with Raymond, who does not complain when the season is postponed more and more due to the corona outbreaks. His chance to play grows a little each time.
- I will do everything in my power. Then something else comes into play. You have to be wise too. That's probably why I have people around me, not always so easy to be that…

** Frölunda has to go far?
- That's it, absolutely. And then I have to feel fresh to be able to play. Many ifs and buts. But Frölunda is always a "contender."
Raymond (pictured) got rid of the cast some time ago, the second time surgery was required in the elbow, but the reports are positive. Everything seems to have gone well, which means that even if Raymond does not have time to return and play more hockey for Frölunda, he will be able to fully train spring and summer and prepare for the move to North America and Detroit (the one he is not yet allowed to speak publicly about, the one that could involve starting games in the AHL because Raymond is drafted in the first round).
- I met the doctors last yesterday and they were very positive. Then also afterwards, that it was quick to regain mobility. I have not had any pain either, which I had prepared for, so I have been able to sleep well.
Rehab for the elbow. Tough training for the rest of the body. But Raymond does not complain. On the contrary. Worse right after the operation when he could barely do anything and saw very little of his teammates.
- Nice now with full days. Even though it's really hard when Pärra (Edlund, the fitness trainer) drives with you, it's still nice to feel that you're on your way somewhere.
Towards a play-off with Frölunda? Maybe, if a lot of pucks bounce right.
But it takes a lot. I thought Raymond - who turns 19 next Sunday - reasoned wisely here, take one day at a time, see if it is really possible, if Frölunda goes far, if he himself feels so good enough to contribute, then… maybe.

Hope is the last thing that abandons one. The carrot is there to make visits to the gym easier.
He's a wise guy, this Gothenburger. I got that feeling already the first time we saw each other a few years ago and I nodded approvingly this Thursday when we talked about the danger that young people today mostly watch short youtube clips on cheeky tricks, cheeky goals, they risk
not really understanding what it takes to do what the sport is all about:Win. With the team.

Unsurprisingly, it is not Connor McDavid who is Raymond's favorite, but:
- Sidney Crosby. The leader. The winner. He who absolutely scores great goals (the backhand shot is better than many perform on the forehand) but who would never miss a back check, would never touch half-heartedly in a melee, would never do anything other
than what is required for Pittsburgh (or Canada) to win. Someone says that when a teenager has that kind of insight. With that in mind, given that the sun pumped us full of vitamin D and good mood when we found a bench where the wind did not find, just between
Frölundaborg and Friidrotten's house, I chose to say straight and honestly what I thought about this winter:

* The feeling I often get is "The phase, you know more, Lucas." Some matches, then you have had that confidence, won fights, the body language has said "Give me the puck and I will do something with it." But sometimes, then, like nothing happened at all, the puck and
you have not been close to each other. 18 points in 34 matches (half in PP) is not bad at all, maybe it is my demands that have been too high, but sometimes I have felt: "Let go, boy - take for yourself." You talked about getting a "mindset" to take more shots, but I
do not really know what happened to it to be honest.
- I understand what you mean. I think I have taken great strides in many areas this year, and then there are things where I want to continue to develop. Just this with taking more shots, it's something I want to do more and more consistently. Some matches I have been sky high, and
then others when it dropped a bit. But I also think that I learned to have a very high minimum level, that some days when it does not sit… with the puck and all that, that you always have this job that you understand the importance of the further you go.

** You can not get away with it in Frölunda?
- That's what I like. I have never played in any other club, but you talk, and it has been (in Frölunda) ever since you were little that var even if you are skilled and all that, "Yes, yes, but today maybe in it works ”, but here, even if it does not work, it does not matter, or even if
it works - that job should always be there. It places extremely high demands on oneself, on the whole team as well. That is probably what made Frölunda so heavenly successful.

** You like, but could it be that Ryan Lasch and Raymond types should sometimes get a little more freedom so they retain the sharpness of the offensive?
- Eh… it's hard. In my situation, I'm still so young, I think it helps my development a lot… then there are players in the league who… not everyone can play a Frölunda game, that's it. It's tough. Hard to explain, but
that is what makes Frölunda such a huge unit. Many teams, where there may be players who get to cheat a little, then it can be a peak while if you can play our game it will be a huge team that is difficult to stop.

** But then the tips must also be there in that collective, at least sharp points?
- Absolutely. You have to have everything in one team. Tip, width, depth, a lot that has to work for it to go well.

** You and Jan Mursak, two good players, two who want and should have the puck a lot. I often felt that you were suffocating each other.
- I never experienced it that way. Then I do not know what it looked like from the side… haha. Jan is a very skilled player, a workhorse, I really liked playing with him. He creates a lot of surfaces, is tough
to face. Then, of course, you always want to push a line.

** Precis. You should have a lot of puck, feel the confidence to lead, create, dare to be creative.
Can't you get jealous when you see the youth chain today? What if you got to play with Karl Henriksson and maybe Linus Nässén.
- I think it's more… I play best when I have a lot of puck. If you are a skilled, challenging player, no
one in the world will succeed with their things every time. But it is still important to have a fairly high percentage
of what you do, and some matches… you get into the match right, you get a good start and you build from there. You get a
lot of puck. But I think it's a lot about… you can see some matches that "I did not have much puck" or "I did not get much puck" but I
think it comes back to oneself, that if you want the puck you have to request it and put yourself in positions where you can get it. That's what
I looked at a lot, how I can put myself in positions to get more puck. There I am extremely self-critical, I always want to develop
in that way. But it's hard, if I had the answer I would have done it.

This is probably where my main objection is. I think Lucas Raymond had it easier to "ask for a puck" from Karl Henriksson
than from Jan Mursak, I think it is human, I think Frölunda felt better from such a solution, but… water under the bridges today.

Who knows, now that Kalle is centering a chain, Raymond's elbow rehab would go extremely fast, Frölunda would go far, it
might be something that can stimulate during the tough gym sessions in any case.

Finally, we talked a lot about the NHL because that's where Raymond's future lies, I think he's even more right on 26-foot-wide rinks (rather than 30-yards), and I felt compelled to raise the issue anyway. The answer:

- I actually enjoy playing on smaller rinks. It will be a more fast-paced hockey, it will bounce, it will not be so controlled, it is almost impossible because it goes so damn fast. In the attack zone, you can score goals
everywhere, it's so tight. I like it.

** Fits your game, huh? One, two good maneuvers and you are close to the goal?
- Undoubtedly. Sometimes you do not have to do anything, you are almost there (at the finish) immediately. Huge difference in how tight it is. As a European player, you have to change your mind a bit, it is
a triple A-chance as long as you get inside the points. Then there is always a change. Like before JVM when we did training, and you bowed out and noticed…

** "Oh, where did the rim come from?"
- Haha, exactly, there came the rim.

Fewer arches in North America. More straight to the point. See there another reason to shrink the rinks here at home as well. But we'll take it another time.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
THE SWEDISH ex defender Niklas Kronwall is now an adviser to Detroit's GM Steve Yzerman, has an eagle eye on all the club's drafted talents.
Lucas Raymond was chosen as number 4 overall in the autumn. Thought as a key part of Detroit's future team building.
The hopes in Michigan's largest city are that players like Raymond and Moritz Seider (Rögle) will contribute to Detroit being counted on in the same way as when Yzerman himself was active.

Contact between Detroit and Raymond has been regular since the draft. Raymond said:
- I talk a lot with Kronwall, he has been cruel (I guess more in the sense of wicked) this season. Even with Shawn Horcoff and Dan Cleary, we run zoom calls. Watching videos, talking and so on, it has been cruelly (really) helpful too. Horcoff and Cleary, two old big players, work with player development, they get clips on all Raymond's matches, go through them together with Kronwall and the main character himself:

- It is important to find the balance, support there while you are here (in Frölunda) as well. But I think it has been terribly helpful, just to be able to get this direct feedback and be able to check small details. It will be a lot considering how developed it is here in Frölunda, we watch a lot of video, so you get double up.

Key thing here is how important ex-players are in guiding and helping our youngsters develop. Really pleased with this.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I get a vibe that top line minutes won't happen for him in Frolunda.
My guess is that Frolunda views players that have potential to leave for NA, in a way that makes them part of the organization but not in such a way that it can really mess with their future teams.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I also wonder if Hakan’s comments on Eklund are cautionary or complimentary. Does he think Eklund is a rising star or just having a really good stretch but might not translate that at a higher level.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
"Everything seems to have gone well, which means that even if Raymond does not have time to return and play more hockey for Frölunda, he will be able to fully train spring and summer and prepare for the move to North America and Detroit (the one he is not yet allowed to speak publicly about, the one that could involve starting games in the AHL because Raymond is drafted in the first round)."

Uhhh did anyone else catch this? That's some breaking news...

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Did a google translate on the article and thought I would try to correct obvious translation errors. Was too much work, gave up after a line or two (makes me feel like a keyboard Mantha atm). But here follows the uncorrected translation:

Contact between Detroit and Raymond has been regular since the draft.
Raymond said:

Can't it be too much?
- I do not think so, because I love to look at small details, try to adjust things. But I think it is from individual to individual.
Right now there is silence on the video front, it has been so for a while, Raymond injured his elbow a month ago, has had surgery with successful results, but let's be honest:
It takes a lot for the 18-year-old not to have made his last Frölunda match, at least this time.
- It is important to hurry slowly, you must not be arrogant. It's going to be tough for me to get back this season, but I think the opportunity is there, that's what I'm aiming for, I think I have to aim for it to push myself; it would not have been fun if you knew "Nothing more, pang bom, so", then I think it was difficult to motivate yourself in the gym.
Of course, the dream lives on with Raymond, who does not complain when the season is postponed more and more due to the corona outbreaks. His chance to play grows a little each time.
- I will do everything in my power. Then something else comes into play. You have to be wise too. That's probably why I have people around me, not always so easy to be that…

** Frölunda has to go far?
- That's it, absolutely. And then I have to feel fresh to be able to play. Many ifs and buts. But Frölunda is always a "contender."
Raymond (pictured) got rid of the cast some time ago, the second time surgery was required in the elbow, but the reports are positive. Everything seems to have gone well, which means that even if Raymond does not have time to return and play more hockey for Frölunda, he will be able to fully train spring and summer and prepare for the move to North America and Detroit (the one he is not yet allowed to speak publicly about, the one that could involve starting games in the AHL because Raymond is drafted in the first round).
- I met the doctors last yesterday and they were very positive. Then also afterwards, that it was quick to regain mobility. I have not had any pain either, which I had prepared for, so I have been able to sleep well.
Rehab for the elbow. Tough training for the rest of the body. But Raymond does not complain. On the contrary. Worse right after the operation when he could barely do anything and saw very little of his teammates.
- Nice now with full days. Even though it's really hard when Pärra (Edlund, the fitness trainer) drives with you, it's still nice to feel that you're on your way somewhere.
Towards a play-off with Frölunda? Maybe, if a lot of pucks bounce right.
But it takes a lot. I thought Raymond - who turns 19 next Sunday - reasoned wisely here, take one day at a time, see if it is really possible, if Frölunda goes far, if he himself feels so good enough to contribute, then… maybe.

Hope is the last thing that abandons one. The carrot is there to make visits to the gym easier.
He's a wise guy, this Gothenburger. I got that feeling already the first time we saw each other a few years ago and I nodded approvingly this Thursday when we talked about the danger that young people today mostly watch short youtube clips on cheeky tricks, cheeky goals, they risk
not really understanding what it takes to do what the sport is all about:Win. With the team.

Unsurprisingly, it is not Connor McDavid who is Raymond's favorite, but:
- Sidney Crosby. The leader. The winner. He who absolutely scores great goals (the backhand shot is better than many perform on the forehand) but who would never miss a back check, would never touch half-heartedly in a melee, would never do anything other
than what is required for Pittsburgh (or Canada) to win. Someone says that when a teenager has that kind of insight. With that in mind, given that the sun pumped us full of vitamin D and good mood when we found a bench where the wind did not find, just between
Frölundaborg and Friidrotten's house, I chose to say straight and honestly what I thought about this winter:

* The feeling I often get is "The phase, you know more, Lucas." Some matches, then you have had that confidence, won fights, the body language has said "Give me the puck and I will do something with it." But sometimes, then, like nothing happened at all, the puck and
you have not been close to each other. 18 points in 34 matches (half in PP) is not bad at all, maybe it is my demands that have been too high, but sometimes I have felt: "Let go, boy - take for yourself." You talked about getting a "mindset" to take more shots, but I
do not really know what happened to it to be honest.
- I understand what you mean. I think I have taken great strides in many areas this year, and then there are things where I want to continue to develop. Just this with taking more shots, it's something I want to do more and more consistently. Some matches I have been sky high, and
then others when it dropped a bit. But I also think that I learned to have a very high minimum level, that some days when it does not sit… with the puck and all that, that you always have this job that you understand the importance of the further you go.

** You can not get away with it in Frölunda?
- That's what I like. I have never played in any other club, but you talk, and it has been (in Frölunda) ever since you were little that var even if you are skilled and all that, "Yes, yes, but today maybe in it works ”, but here, even if it does not work, it does not matter, or even if
it works - that job should always be there. It places extremely high demands on oneself, on the whole team as well. That is probably what made Frölunda so heavenly successful.

** You like, but could it be that Ryan Lasch and Raymond types should sometimes get a little more freedom so they retain the sharpness of the offensive?
- Eh… it's hard. In my situation, I'm still so young, I think it helps my development a lot… then there are players in the league who… not everyone can play a Frölunda game, that's it. It's tough. Hard to explain, but
that is what makes Frölunda such a huge unit. Many teams, where there may be players who get to cheat a little, then it can be a peak while if you can play our game it will be a huge team that is difficult to stop.

** But then the tips must also be there in that collective, at least sharp points?
- Absolutely. You have to have everything in one team. Tip, width, depth, a lot that has to work for it to go well.

** You and Jan Mursak, two good players, two who want and should have the puck a lot. I often felt that you were suffocating each other.
- I never experienced it that way. Then I do not know what it looked like from the side… haha. Jan is a very skilled player, a workhorse, I really liked playing with him. He creates a lot of surfaces, is tough
to face. Then, of course, you always want to push a line.

** Precis. You should have a lot of puck, feel the confidence to lead, create, dare to be creative.
Can't you get jealous when you see the youth chain today? What if you got to play with Karl Henriksson and maybe Linus Nässén.
- I think it's more… I play best when I have a lot of puck. If you are a skilled, challenging player, no
one in the world will succeed with their things every time. But it is still important to have a fairly high percentage
of what you do, and some matches… you get into the match right, you get a good start and you build from there. You get a
lot of puck. But I think it's a lot about… you can see some matches that "I did not have much puck" or "I did not get much puck" but I
think it comes back to oneself, that if you want the puck you have to request it and put yourself in positions where you can get it. That's what
I looked at a lot, how I can put myself in positions to get more puck. There I am extremely self-critical, I always want to develop
in that way. But it's hard, if I had the answer I would have done it.

This is probably where my main objection is. I think Lucas Raymond had it easier to "ask for a puck" from Karl Henriksson
than from Jan Mursak, I think it is human, I think Frölunda felt better from such a solution, but… water under the bridges today.

Who knows, now that Kalle is centering a chain, Raymond's elbow rehab would go extremely fast, Frölunda would go far, it
might be something that can stimulate during the tough gym sessions in any case.

Finally, we talked a lot about the NHL because that's where Raymond's future lies, I think he's even more right on 26-foot-wide rinks (rather than 30-yards), and I felt compelled to raise the issue anyway. The answer:

- I actually enjoy playing on smaller rinks. It will be a more fast-paced hockey, it will bounce, it will not be so controlled, it is almost impossible because it goes so damn fast. In the attack zone, you can score goals
everywhere, it's so tight. I like it.

** Fits your game, huh? One, two good maneuvers and you are close to the goal?
- Undoubtedly. Sometimes you do not have to do anything, you are almost there (at the finish) immediately. Huge difference in how tight it is. As a European player, you have to change your mind a bit, it is
a triple A-chance as long as you get inside the points. Then there is always a change. Like before JVM when we did training, and you bowed out and noticed…

** "Oh, where did the rim come from?"
- Haha, exactly, there came the rim.

Fewer arches in North America. More straight to the point. See there another reason to shrink the rinks here at home as well. But we'll take it another time.

"Keyboard Mantha" legit chuckled :laugh:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
That makes it sound like it’s for certain. That’s the first time I’ve seen anything “official” about it but maybe I’ve missed some stuff
Probably because he's not allowed to publicly say anything while he's under contract, which is what Hakan was intimating.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
That makes it sound like it’s for certain. That’s the first time I’ve seen anything “official” about it but maybe I’ve missed some stuff
I Gotchya. I honestly don’t think hakan knows much about that if I were to guess. I assumed he was speculating

I doubt yzerman even knows for certain what he’s going to do with him.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Probably because he's not allowed to publicly say anything while he's under contract, which is what Hakan was intimating.
I Gotchya. I honestly don’t think hakan knows much about that if I were to guess. I assumed he was speculating

I doubt yzerman even knows for certain what he’s going to do with him.

That quote has nothing to do with Hakan. It was an article interviewing Lucas Raymond.

This has been hinted at previously in other Swedish outlets. The general feeling from the Swedish sources is that Lucas Raymond is done in Frolunda after this season, and he will be headed to Michigan when the season is officially completed.

At this point, he can’t comment because he hasn’t signed an entry level deal, and he’s not free to make the jump until Frolunda’s season is completed. It’s part respect, part business. But the news outlets aren’t restricted from floating the murmurs that they have heard.

Reactions: Winger98

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
That quote has nothing to do with Hakan. It was an article interviewing Lucas Raymond.

This has been hinted at previously in other Swedish outlets. The general feeling from the Swedish sources is that Lucas Raymond is done in Frolunda after this season, and he will be headed to Michigan when the season is officially completed.

At this point, he can’t comment because he hasn’t signed an entry level deal, and he’s not free to make the jump until Frolunda’s season is completed. It’s part respect, part business. But the news outlets aren’t restricted from floating the murmurs that they have heard.
Nice, I thought that was a hakan interview. So that was Raymond commenting on seider??

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Nice, I thought that was a hakan interview. So that was Raymond commenting on seider??

there are two different articles floating around. Considering I don’t remember anything about Seider in the Raymond one, it was probably Hakan

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It would be pretty stunning for a winger, picked fourth overall, to spend his D+2 season in Sweden.
Tkachuk - NHL debut in D+1
Puljujarvi - NHL debut in D+1
Marner - NHL debut in D+2
Kane - NHL debut in D+1
Pouliot - NHL debut in D+2
Ladd - NHL debut in D+2
Zherdev - NHL debut in D+2

How about Steve Yzerman's history of top 10 pick wingers.
Connolly, 6th - NHL debut in D+2
Drouin, 3rd, - NHL debut in D+2

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It would be pretty stunning for a winger, picked fourth overall, to spend his D+2 season in Sweden.
Tkachuk - NHL debut in D+1
Puljujarvi - NHL debut in D+1
Marner - NHL debut in D+2
Kane - NHL debut in D+1
Pouliot - NHL debut in D+2
Ladd - NHL debut in D+2
Zherdev - NHL debut in D+2

How about Steve Yzerman's history of top 10 pick wingers.
Connolly, 6th - NHL debut in D+2
Drouin, 3rd, - NHL debut in D+2
Which is meaningless, all that matters is what's best for his development.

He turns 19 in a week, he'll still play next season mainly as a 19 year old. 19 year olds almost never make a serious impact in the NHL. He's not Patrick Kane, he's not built like Tkachuk, Puljujärvi never should have been in the NHL that early. Etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad