Wings Select Lucas Raymond 4th Overall

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just found out some data from the tournament and on Primary points/60 the tournament Top6 is:

Turcotte, 4.59
Cozens, 4.34
Raymond, 3.99
Hirvonen, 3.66
Zegras, 3.42
Lundell, 3.41

Think this is 5-on-5.

Reactions: Realgud

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Well this kid showed us the complete package this tournament. It would have been fun to watch him carry the team but Sweden was just way too bad for that to happen.

I was really impressed by all parts of his game, mainly his smarts. He was money when the puck was on his stick.

He needs to get faster and stronger. He also needs to continue to attack with his feet like he did in this tournament. I feel like in the SHL he does not attack the same way.

Losing their coach and Wallinder+Grewe is really tough. Alnfeldt really didn’t impress me either.

Reactions: Ezekial

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Losing their coach and Wallinder+Grewe is really tough. Alnfeldt really didn’t impress me either.

Alnefeldt is a future backup. They shit the bed by not playing the next Swedish Olympic goalie in Wallstedt.

Grewe would have given that forward group some fire. Their 4th line was so f***ing lazy and soft. Bjerselius and Kvist had me ready to shout at my computer with their lack of intensity on the puck.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Tableau Public
Final numbers from WJC.

Raymond ended up being the best player at ES expected Primary points per 60.

Being an advanced stats darling will probably follow him through his career, let's just hope he can amp up the actual production :)

Heh, I do feel bad for Raymond though, coaches don't make it easy on him. Holtz and Raymond haven't shown good chemistry for several years, yet they are still attached to the hip whenever they play for Team Sweden, and quite honestly that will probably follow them when they start playing for the mens team as well.
If that's not enough his coach in Frölunda is a very stubborn man who seems to be intent on making the Mursak + Raymond pairing last the entire season, even though that hasn't worked either.

According to reports he will most likely play on a line consisting of Henriksson - Mursak - Raymond in tomorrows game vs Luleå.
Hopefully the chemistry he has shown with Henriksson will make that line work better than when Hjalmarsson was there.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Does he play his off-wing (LW) in the SHL? I know Holtz has got a cannon but it was frustrating seeing them feed him at the point OVER AND OVER again. It was so telegraphed and not creative in the least. I know Raymond got his shots but I can't help but think he would've potted a couple more and added a couple assists playing his off-wing on the powerplay because he doesn't only look to shoot and he has a +shot IMO.

It's annoying because I'm sure he will be pigeon holed into playing RW I just hope the Wings brass is smart enough to place him on the LW side on the powerplays at least.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Does he play his off-wing (LW) in the SHL? I know Holtz has got a cannon but it was frustrating seeing them feed him at the point OVER AND OVER again. It was so telegraphed and not creative in the least. I know Raymond got his shots but I can't help but think he would've potted a couple more and added a couple assists playing his off-wing on the powerplay because he doesn't only look to shoot and he has a +shot IMO.

It's annoying because I'm sure he will be pigeon holed into playing RW I just hope the Wings brass is smart enough to place him on the LW side on the powerplays at least.

That Raymond plays PP on the right wall on Team Sweden is one of many stupid things the coaches of Team Sweden does, and is one of the main reason the PP looks bad. (Can't split Holtz and Raymond).

On Frölunda he has played either on the left wall or behind the net. IMO he has looked best when controlling the play from behind the net.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Theo Fleury was pretty good
Both Datsyuk and Zetterberg were 5'11"
Patrick Kane is under 6 feet.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman's forwards at Tampa Stanley Cup team:

Palat 5'11 - Point 5'10 - Kucherov 5'11
Killorn 6'1 - Cirelli 6'0 - Johnson 5'8
Goodrow 6'2 - Gourde 5'9 - Coleman 5'11
Maroon 6'2 - Paquette 6'1 - Stephens 5'11
(Verhaege 6'1)
Stamkos 6'1 (didn't play)

Average forward height on that Cup team was lightly less than 5'11. This was under NHL forward average.

Then when you look on that defence, everybody should understand, where the size will matter.

Hedman 6'6 - Shattenkirk 6'0
McDonagh 6'1 - Cernak 6'3
Sergachev 6'3 - Bogosian 6'2
Coburn 6'5 - Rutta 6'3

Vasilevskiy 6'3

Average height on back-end: 6'2½. These were over NHL defencemen/goalie averages.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad