News Article: Wings release roster for Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup (Prospect Tournament)

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
The point stands, that a player who has had pro experience should do well in this tourney, and they usually do. Given AA's mediocre production in the CHL and now the AHL, which matches very well with Helm's, this isn't the harbinger of him being a top 6 center in the making. His development thus far has all the hallmarks of a guy who will be a bottom 6 center, or if he develops at all offensively, possible a middle 6 winger.

They don't really match up with Helm Though, AA's final year in junior was quite a bit better then Helm ever produced . You're also using only one year of AHL production in which AA actually outproduced Helm in 12 less games and he had to deal with a broken jaw/ 25 pounds of weight loss.

Using points is a pretty awful way to compare players anyway, if you actually watch him play it's actually pretty evident Athanasiou has more skill. I'm not even saying he's going to be a top 6 guy for sure but his potential is undoubtedly higher, and Helm isn't such a scrub you make him out to be.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Same here. Janmark lives from his offense and I don't know is he enough good to hit NHL TOP6 any day. And he is useless at Bottom6. Kind of a career European leaguer, imo. Like Damien Brunner.

But Nosek has multiple toolbox, big size, goes net-front, PKs, good passing, could play grinder role at TOP6 or defensive role at Bottom6, that raises tremedously his NHL chances.

1-dimensional guys will get unemployed (from NHL level) nowadays. You have to have something, being World-Class at some skill, or have multiple toolbox, if you don't have any World-Class skill.

Janmark took a huge step defensively last year, and was a regular penalty killer in the SHL. He's got great work ethics and puck retrieval skill, too. I think he can make it one day, even on a 3rd line. NHL top6/bottom6 isn't that black and white these days.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Same here. Janmark lives from his offense and I don't know is he enough good to hit NHL TOP6 any day. And he is useless at Bottom6. Kind of a career European leaguer, imo. Like Damien Brunner.

But Nosek has multiple toolbox, big size, goes net-front, PKs, good passing, could play grinder role at TOP6 or defensive role at Bottom6, that raises tremedously his NHL chances.

1-dimensional guys will get unemployed (from NHL level) nowadays. You have to have something, being World-Class at some skill, or have multiple toolbox, if you don't have any World-Class skill.
He's not one dimensional at all, and could easily play pretty much all those same roles as Nosek. Far from useless in the bottom-6. The main reason I like him more is his skating which is a lot better than Nosek's. I think skating is what will hold Nosek back in the NHL.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He's not one dimensional at all, and could easily play pretty much all those same roles as Nosek. Far from useless in the bottom-6. The main reason I like him more is his skating which is a lot better than Nosek's. I think skating is what will hold Nosek back in the NHL.

I think Janmark is a pretty rounded guy these days, but I actually like Nosek more as a skater. So interesting to see those differences, I view Nosek as the superior skater when comparing the two...

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think Janmark is a pretty rounded guy these days, but I actually like Nosek more as a skater. So interesting to see those differences, I view Nosek as the superior skater when comparing the two...

That may be, but in relation to NHL play, I think Nosek's feet are still a bit heavy and that skating is the one thing that could keep him out of the NHL.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Highlights coming also from two remaining (DET-DAL, DET-CBJ) games?

Idk, they weren't my vids, doesn't appear slapshotgoal has uploaded anything from last night as of yet.

Edit*
I think pointstreak is pretty awful on their assist keeping, I know Athanasiou got one phantom assist in the first game and Larkin got credit for one that Mantha should of had, and there's probably been quite a few other mistakes as well.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Imo, that Athanasiou assist from 1st game was ok. He shot wide, then Svechnikov had a chance from the board bounce and Nosek scored from a rebound. Assist or not, Athanasiou did a good and a right play on that shift. Shot from near sector, went just over the crossbar.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
I guess your right looking back, I thought the D played it but it seemed to just take a weird hop off the board right to Svechnikov.

But in general my point stands that they don't do a good job awarding assists,I'm pretty sure Saarijarvi got an assist that should have gone to Russo on Mantha's second goal, he wasn't even on the ice.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I guess your right looking back, I thought the D played it but it seemed to just take a weird hop off the board right to Svechnikov.

But in general my point stands that they don't do a good job awarding assists,I'm pretty sure Saarijarvi got an assist that should have gone to Russo on Mantha's second goal, he wasn't even on the ice.

The person running point streak is getting their goal assist information from the refs on the ice during the prospects tournament.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Another powerplay, no scoring.

Wings PP 0/4.
Jackets PP 1/1.

**** that.

EDIT:

Mantha has left the bench by Malik... hopefully not injury again. :(

EDIT2:

Björkstrand 3-1. :(

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Columbus scores again, 4-1 from their 2nd power-play.

100% PK
100% PP

Nice special teams mess... CBJ already almost had a short-handed goal, but it was disallowed.

Mantha back on the bench... good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad