News Article: Wings release roster for Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup (Prospect Tournament)

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I edited to make the point that Janmark is in the same boat, an overager dominating a tourney full of kids. It's nice to see, but people even jokingly comparing him to Feds is a bit much.

Agreed but what can you do right :dunno:

All top prospects and overagers are expected to dominate these types of tournaments. Especially players that already have pro experience.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Still very impressive to see a 2-goal effort when we had to score 2 goals in 15 minutes to reach the final. This was a pressure situation and not just some easy 7-1 blowout goals. Most impressive thing in whole case. AA stood out with Larkin when it really mattered.

This kind of attitude we need in the future.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Good job by the kids, leaders stepped up when they were needed.

Still bummed we sent Janmark to Dallas. I would've rather given them Nosek if possible.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Larkin's goal:
09.14.15_Larkin_G_Prospect_Tournament.0.gif

Russo's goal:
09.14.15_Russo_G_Prospect_Tournament.0.gif

AA from Mantha:
09.14.15_Athanasiou_G_Prospect_Tournament.0.gif

AA's game winner:
09.14.15_Athanasiou_G__2_Prospect_Tournament.0.gif

Credit to: http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/20...o-move-on-to-prospect-tournament-championship

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Regarding Athanasiou's "lack of finish"...

Yeah, I don't think that's a thing.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yes, you would expect our best, older players to out perform unsigned junior guys, but it is nonetheless good to see them perform as expected when they are expected to perform. This is a big part of being a professional. Is it sufficient to establish future NHL success? Of course not. But again, it is certainly a positive sign.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Good job by the kids, leaders stepped up when they were needed.

Still bummed we sent Janmark to Dallas. I would've rather given them Nosek if possible.
I don't think Janmark is worth being bummed out over. And I definitely don't see anything in him that makes him better than Nosek.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's a professional playing against mostly kids. If he didn't finish in this tourney it would have been an issue, but, like Janmark, he's not shown anything to this point to make anyone believe he's more than a plug.

Athanasiou has never shown anything to you to believe he's more than a plug?

I've seen a bunch of GR highlights that say otherwise. Nelson and front office seem to think otherwise, too.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Athanasiou has never shown anything to you to believe he's more than a plug?

I've seen a bunch of GR highlights that say otherwise. Nelson and front office seem to think otherwise, too.

You do realize that his current AHL and past CHL production just is a hair above Helm's right? He's got a few nice highlight reel plays, but like Helm he's going to be a career bottom liner, and a plug unless he becomes more defensively sound. Most of the people playing in prospect tourneys are kids who haven't played a professional game in their lives, and if they have they did it on European ice. AA has a year of professional play against men, and while his 5 points is nice, but not even that great compared to others in the tourney.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
You do realize that his current AHL and past CHL production just is a hair above Helm's right? He's got a few nice highlight reel plays, but like Helm he's going to be a career bottom liner, and a plug unless he becomes more defensively sound. Most of the people playing in prospect tourneys are kids who haven't played a professional game in their lives, and if they have they did it on European ice. AA has a year of professional play against men, and while his 5 points is nice, but not even that great compared to others in the tourney.

I guess Larkin must really suck if he can't even outproduce Anthansiou in this tournament. The Wings have a bleak future ahead.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

You realize he's the same age as Mantha right?

When you watch Athanasiou, you also see that he has noticeably more skill than Helm did. I expect his production to go up a decent amount this year, looks like he is slated for the first line and will be playing with Larkin or Mantha.

Last edited:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
If Helm had even a smidge more offensive game, he'd be a top 6 winger. The new NHL is all about skating, and both Helm and AA have it in loads. AA maybe top out as a 3rd liner but I think he has better hands than Helm. Again though if Helm finished even a 5th of his breakaways he would be a consistent 20 goal guy. I don't view either player as a plug. At his worst Helm is one of the best 3rd liners in the league and when he gets hot he is a top 6 player. Those guys win you games, and can be incredibly valuable.

Thanks,

Megan

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
You realize he's the same age as Mantha right?

When you watch Athanasiou, you also see that he has noticeably more skill than Helm did. I expect his production to go up a decent amount this year, looks like he is slated for the first line and will be playing with Larkin or Mantha.

in 2/3 he starts helping the wings.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
He's a professional playing against mostly kids. If he didn't finish in this tourney it would have been an issue, but, like Janmark, he's not shown anything to this point to make anyone believe he's more than a plug.

MOD

Plenty of the players in this tourney are just as old if not older than Athansiou and plenty have played pro, and most of the 18-19 year olds who aren't top draft picks are playing minor roles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
MOD

Plenty of the players in this tourney are just as old if not older than Athansiou and plenty have played pro, and most of the 18-19 year olds who aren't top draft picks are playing minor roles.

The point stands, that a player who has had pro experience should do well in this tourney, and they usually do. Given AA's mediocre production in the CHL and now the AHL, which matches very well with Helm's, this isn't the harbinger of him being a top 6 center in the making. His development thus far has all the hallmarks of a guy who will be a bottom 6 center, or if he develops at all offensively, possible a middle 6 winger.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think Janmark is worth being bummed out over. And I definitely don't see anything in him that makes him better than Nosek.

Same here. Janmark lives from his offense and I don't know is he enough good to hit NHL TOP6 any day. And he is useless at Bottom6. Kind of a career European leaguer, imo. Like Damien Brunner.

But Nosek has multiple toolbox, big size, goes net-front, PKs, good passing, could play grinder role at TOP6 or defensive role at Bottom6, that raises tremedously his NHL chances.

1-dimensional guys will get unemployed (from NHL level) nowadays. You have to have something, being World-Class at some skill, or have multiple toolbox, if you don't have any World-Class skill.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The point stands, that a player who has had pro experience should do well in this tourney, and they usually do. Given AA's mediocre production in the CHL and now the AHL, which matches very well with Helm's, this isn't the harbinger of him being a top 6 center in the making. His development thus far has all the hallmarks of a guy who will be a bottom 6 center, or if he develops at all offensively, possible a middle 6 winger.

Keep in mind he got pushed down the depth chart in London, which severely hurt the numbers you are using.

After he moved to Barrie he put up 1.22 ppg over his last 2 seasons, including his last year where he produced better than Helm ever did by a decent amount.

I think he has a really productive year this year in the AHL, so I hope you are willing to give him a little credit if he does. His playoff run last year in GR was better than Pulkkinen's at the same age, so he at least ended on a pretty good note. (I know it's a small sample size, but hey it's encouraging)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad