News Article: Wings release roster for Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup (Prospect Tournament)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The goal is now:

4-2 Athanasiou (Saarijärvi, Stanton)

EDIT:

Saw a video clip from Red Wings Twitter... It was Athanasiou tip-in for Stanton shot, I could suspect Saarijärvi just assisted to Stanton before that (wasn't seen on video).

Last edited:

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Palat is a premier talent. If lil bert comes close to that level of play I'll be pleased.

I'd be ecstatic but it's extremely unlikely to happen. Palat is a better player than both Nyquist and Tatar. I don't see Bert having that kind of offensive capability at the NHL level.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Palat is the workhorse piece which compliments well with Johnson's and Kucherov's high skillsets.

Palat better than Nyquist and Tatar? Don't think so. So different skillset. But perfect role player, I think Bertuzzi will get near of that kind of complimenting piece. Don't think he would be better than Palat, but near.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Palat is the workhorse piece which compliments well with Johnson's and Kucherov's high skillsets.

Palat better than Nyquist and Tatar? Don't think so. So different skillset. But perfect role player, I think Bertuzzi will get near of that kind of complimenting piece. Don't think he would be better than Palat, but near.

Palat: 170 games played, .74 PPG. 19 points in 29 playoff games.
Nyquist: 179 games played, .64 PPG. 7 points in 30 playoff games.
Tatar: 182 games played, .57 PPG. 4 points in 12 playoff games.

Palat is also MUCH better defensively. In his two years in the league he's finished 11th and 9th in Selke voting. He's also the youngest of the three (4 months younger than Tatar and two years younger than Nyquist). Palat is clearly better.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Palat: 170 games played, .74 PPG. 19 points in 29 playoff games.
Nyquist: 179 games played, .64 PPG. 7 points in 30 playoff games.
Tatar: 182 games played, .57 PPG. 4 points in 12 playoff games.

Palat is also MUCH better defensively. In his two years in the league he's finished 11th and 9th in Selke voting. He's also the youngest of the three (4 months younger than Tatar and two years younger than Nyquist). Palat is clearly better.

I think it's debatable.

How about the fact that Nyquist and Tatar are both better goal scorers? We just gonna sweep that under the rug?

Tyler Johnson and Kucherov are clearly better than Nyquist and Tatar. I'll give you that all day. Palat's production comes mostly as a result of being the beneficiary of playing with those two, IMO. Nyquist and Tatar would also clean up alongside Johnson and Kucherov. Probably moreso.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I think it's debatable.

How about the fact that Nyquist and Tatar are both better goal scorers? We just gonna sweep that under the rug?

Tyler Johnson and Kucherov are clearly better than Nyquist and Tatar. I'll give you that all day. Palat's production comes mostly as a result of being the beneficiary of playing with those two, IMO. Nyquist and Tatar would also clean up alongside Johnson and Kucherov. Probably moreso.

Nyquist and Tatar are better goal scorers, although Palat did score more ES goals than Nyquist last year. Palat is a better playmaker, and much better defensively too.

In Palat's first year in which he scored 59 points (which would be a career high for Nyquist and Tatar) he didn't play on the TKO line cause it didn't exist. So, in a year in which he didn't play with Johnson or Kucherov he still put up better offensive numbers than Nyquist and Tatar ever have.

Last time I checked Nyquist plays with Zetterberg, and Tatar plays with Datsyuk. Nyquist and Tatar get PP time with Datsyuk, Z, and Kronwall. Let's not use the linemate excuse to justify why Palat has better numbers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nyquist and Tatar are better goal scorers, although Palat did score more ES goals than Nyquist last year. Palat is a better playmaker, and much better defensively too.

In Palat's first year in which he scored 59 points (which would be a career high for Nyquist and Tatar) he didn't play on the TKO line cause it didn't exist. So, in a year in which he didn't play with Johnson or Kucherov he still put up better offensive numbers than Nyquist and Tatar ever have.

Last time I checked Nyquist plays with Zetterberg, and Tatar plays with Datsyuk. Nyquist and Tatar get PP time with Datsyuk, Z, and Kronwall. Let's not use the linemate excuse to justify why Palat has better numbers.

True, Nyquist and Tatar don't play with scrubs.

But Tatar plays with Datsyuk and... Darren Helm.

Nyquist plays with Zetterberg and... Justin Abdelkader.

Palat gets two guys who are very talented and also in their prime. Nyquist and Tatar get one really talented guy in their mid 30's and a grinder.

But Palat did have a good year prior to the triplet line year, like you said. He only has eclipsed 20 goals once though, whereas Nyquist has put up 28 and 29 the last 2 years. Given they are just .10 ppg apart, that gap in goals can make up for the difference quite a bit IMO.

Honestly it will be interesting to see how the 3 of them compare statistically this year, I think it will be close.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
True, Nyquist and Tatar don't play with scrubs.

But Tatar plays with Datsyuk and... Darren Helm.

Nyquist plays with Zetterberg and... Justin Abdelkader.

Palat gets two guys who are very talented and also in their prime. Nyquist and Tatar get one really talented guy in their mid 30's and a grinder.

But Palat did have a good year prior to the triplet line year, like you said. He only has eclipsed 20 goals once though, whereas Nyquist has put up 28 and 29 the last 2 years. Given they are just .10 ppg apart, that gap in goals can make up for the difference quite a bit IMO.

Honestly it will be interesting to see how the 3 of them compare statistically this year, I think it will be close.

Fair enough on all of your points. Palat does play on an excellent line now and in the future. I'm looking forward to see how all 3 play this year also. I'm hoping Nyquist and Tatar play better than Palat, but I assume they should all be within 10 points of each other this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Fair enough on all of your points. Palat does play on an excellent line now and in the future. I'm looking forward to see how all 3 play this year also. I'm hoping Nyquist and Tatar play better than Palat, but I assume they should all be within 10 points of each other this year.

They already have freaking Johnson and Kucherov, I just didn't want to have to "give them" Palat too... know what I mean? :laugh:

Objectively though, you can make a really good case for him. Truthfully, I didn't know he had received Selke votes (already???). That's pretty crazy. Definitely a really good player.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

hey sean, speak of the devil...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Video from Stars game.

Collected from video:
Larkin, 1 goal, 2 assists, 4 scoring chances, 2 created chances, 1 takeaway = 10 good plays
Athanasiou, 2 goals, 1 assist, 4 scoring chances = 7 good plays
Bertuzzi, 1 scoring chance, 2 takeaways, 2 screens = 5 good plays
Mantha, 1 assist (was missing from real stats), 1 scoring chance, 1 created chance, 1 drawn penalty = 4 good plays
Russo, 1 goal, 1 scoring chance, 1 created chance = 3 good plays
Nosek, 2 assists, 1 created chance = 3 good plays
Svechnikov, 1 goal, 1 created chance = 2 good plays
Saarijärvi, 1 assist, 1 scoring chance = 2 good plays
Nastasiuk, 1 scoring chance = 1
Marsh, 1 scoring chance = 1
(these are very unofficial) :)

AA scored those goals, but it's still all Larkin... :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad