Confirmed with Link: Wings re-sign Abdelkader for 7 years 4.25m/yr full NTC in first 4 yrs, partial after

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
It's a smaller probability. Higher proability is that he produces well and is amlost the best FA on the market and someone will throw Leino money and he's gone.

Now he is signed. With reasonable price. Cut by 1 million if he still overachieves.

Then let him walk, hes not a core player that we need locked up for 7 years

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Patrick Kane only put up 64 points. That's the new NHL. 44 points is substantial. When you contrast Kane's output with Abby's it looks like Gator's contract is a steal of epic proportion. Just because the Blackhawks fan base thought Richards was terrible doesn't mean he was. Most fans are incapable of judging reality. Richards put up 91 in the past so fans hold him to that standard. He did help them win a Stanley Cup while putting up 14 pts in 23 games so.... I would say he was an asset.

Patrick Kane played 61 games.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Patrick Kane only put up 64 points. That's the new NHL. 44 points is substantial. When you contrast Kane's output with Abby's it looks like Gator's contract is a steal of epic proportion. Just because the Blackhawks fan base thought Richards was terrible doesn't mean he was. Most fans are incapable of judging reality. Richards put up 91 in the past so fans hold him to that standard. He did help them win a Stanley Cup while putting up 14 pts in 23 games so.... I would say he was an asset.

kane scored 20 more points than abby in 10 less games. patrick kane can be expected to create offense like one of the best for most of his contract. as he's doing now. abby's deal is still bad when compared to kane contract.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That wasn't what I asked. The question at hand was if they produce offense without good/great/elite teammates and top-6 icetime+PP. If they are the catalyst to the offense instead of complementary players that require help from others to get their production.

Btw Gallagher has one 20 goal season and Simmonds had the same when he signed his deal. Younger yes but not completely different.

Actually younger makes it completely different. A lot of players will score 20 goals for 1 or 2 seasons before coming back to earth, they tend to do it in their late 20s after showing very little offensive ability preceding. Then there are the players who come into the league and score 20+ from a young age. These players tend not to come back to earth so quickly, and are even more likely as they adjust to the NHL physically and mentally to produce more. Abdelkader had a couple really good months in his late 20s. Now he's getting paid like he's done it for years.

It's a huge risk and ties the hands of a team that already has more than it's fair share of **** contracts.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I would MUCH rather take the risk of signing a player to a 3-4 year deal, and either losing him when the deal is up or having to pay more for a second contract, than to risk multiple bad years on the end of a seven year contract.

Abdelkader could score 20 per year for the next 3 years, and I STILL wouldn't want to be on the hook for 4 more years. It's simply awful risk management.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Holland simply refuses to give up a roster player. I like Abby and think he has value to this team. His agent demanded 7 years and Kenny caved in. I would have been happy with 3-4 yrs at $4.25 but 7 yrs is nuts. I would move on and trade him at that point. He's a solid player but not irreplaceable as Holland wants you to believe.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
He has 5 goals, 4 assists, 9 points in 18 games. That is .5 points per game. In comparison, Anže Kopitar has 7 points and is paid $7.7 million this year.

Someone else is performing worse than Abby years after signing their deal! Let's rejoice if that is the low bar we are setting for our team

Actual Thought*

Patrick Kane played 61 games.

kane scored 20 more points than abby in 10 less games. patrick kane can be expected to create offense like one of the best for most of his contract. as he's doing now. abby's deal is still bad when compared to kane contract.

Kane makes $10 mil a year. HUGE difference in money relative to production. Abby is a character guy. Kane not so much. One off ice issue from Kane could derail Chicago's franchise for a decade. Abby? Not so much.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
One off ice issue from Kane could derail Chicago's franchise for a decade.

First off, they already got 3 Stanley Cups out of him in 6 years. So even if he somehow derails an entire franchise in the off-season, mission accomplished, they've achieved salary cap dynasty already. What a tragedy that could befall that franchise.

Second, if he truly does something bad enough to warrant "derailing", they could get out of the contract the same way LA did with Mike Richards. Although considering Kane has evaded charges up to this point, you have to assume the worst is over for him regarding that.

Third, Kane currently leads the NHL in scoring. Goals and points. The guy is incredible and I hate it. Comparing the contract of a guy who has helped win 3 Cups and is one of the most prolific NHL scorers, particularly in the playoffs, with Justin "20 goal" Abdelkader is a reach even Shaq couldn't help you with. And quite frankly, I don't understand why it would even be brought up. One is a franchise player who has consistently dominated competition on the way to championships and 114 playoff points at age 26. The other is a banger who found some chemistry with Pavel Datsyuk for a season and has 12 playoff points.

So even if I subscribe to the notion that Kane is overpaid (which I don't), the fact remains it's payment for a legitimate superstar with a track record of winning and production over his entire career. Basically all the things Abdelkader doesn't have.

OK, I feel dirty defending Kane now. I need a shower.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Feel like I'm taking crazy pills seeing people compare Kane and Abdelkader.

Kane is arguably the best player in the league, Abby is arguably a top 5 player at best on this team.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
You know there's a huge bias involved when someone argues that Abby's contract has the better ROI/value than Patrick Kane's :laugh :laugh:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Feel like I'm taking crazy pills seeing people compare Kane and Abdelkader.

Kane is arguably the best player in the league, Abby is arguably a top 5 player at best on this team.

Abby isn't close to top 5.

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, DeKeyser....

Actual Thought*

First off, they already got 3 Stanley Cups out of him in 6 years. So even if he somehow derails an entire franchise in the off-season, mission accomplished, they've achieved salary cap dynasty already. What a tragedy that could befall that franchise.

Second, if he truly does something bad enough to warrant "derailing", they could get out of the contract the same way LA did with Mike Richards. Although considering Kane has evaded charges up to this point, you have to assume the worst is over for him regarding that.

Third, Kane currently leads the NHL in scoring. Goals and points. The guy is incredible and I hate it. Comparing the contract of a guy who has helped win 3 Cups and is one of the most prolific NHL scorers, particularly in the playoffs, with Justin "20 goal" Abdelkader is a reach even Shaq couldn't help you with. And quite frankly, I don't understand why it would even be brought up. One is a franchise player who has consistently dominated competition on the way to championships and 114 playoff points at age 26. The other is a banger who found some chemistry with Pavel Datsyuk for a season and has 12 playoff points.

So even if I subscribe to the notion that Kane is overpaid (which I don't), the fact remains it's payment for a legitimate superstar with a track record of winning and production over his entire career. Basically all the things Abdelkader doesn't have.

OK, I feel dirty defending Kane now. I need a shower.

That's all well and good. He is talented. Great. However you missed the point which is a 10 milion a year contract can cause major problems for a franchise. Abby's little deal is a tiny risk in comparison. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That's all well and good. He is talented. Great. However you missed the point which is a 10 milion a year contract can cause major problems for a franchise. Abby's little deal is a tiny risk in comparison. [MOD]

Stop. Patrick Kane at $10M is much more valuable than Justin Abdelkader at 4.25M. The two are not remotely comparable.

Teams plan for Kane. Teams shadow Kane with their best defensive players. They don't do that for Justin Abdelkader.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
With 3-year data, Abdelkader has scored 38+43 = 81 points in 159 games.

On average ~19+22 = 41 point player. 0.5ppg is not bad nowadays, when the scoring is regressing every year.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
With 3-year data, Abdelkader has scored 38+43 = 81 points in 159 games.

On average ~19+22 = 41 point player. 0.5ppg is not bad nowadays, when the scoring is regressing every year.

You realize that taking the last 3 years and then saying this is good because scoring is regressing is contradictory, right? If scoring is regressing then he can be expected to score less than his previous years. Scoring is nearly identical to the last few years, low.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You realize that taking the last 3 years and then saying this is good because scoring is regressing is contradictory, right? If scoring is regressing then he can be expected to score less than his previous years. Scoring is nearly identical to the last few years, low.

It's just a point that people will still think there's 100 point scorers on the game, and there isn't. Top players are only 80-point scorers. So former (early cap) 50 point scorer is nowadays a 40 point scorer. And Abdelkader's relative caphit is in line of that kind of production history-vise.

And he brings in more than just that production. That matches with his inflated production.

So his contract is... just right. Not a bargain, and not overpaid. Just right.

Time to get pissed of about some other things than this future thing, where is nothing weird to see. More about enjoy of this current bargain 1.8M contract from this season when he is playing for peanuts vs. his great effort for the team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's just a point that people will still think there's 100 point scorers on the game, and there isn't. Top players are only 80-point scorers. So former (early cap) 50 point scorer is nowadays a 40 point scorer. And Abdelkader's relative caphit is in line of that kind of production history-vise.

And he brings in more than just that production. That matches with his inflated production.

Time to get pissed of about some other things than this future thing, where is nothing weird to see. More about enjoy of this current bargain 1.8M contract from this season when he is playing for peanuts vs. his great effort for the team.

4.25 x 4 would have been ok, but not great.

4.25 x 7 is just dumb.

No reason to give a player of Abdelkader's caliber a 7 year contract.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
4.25 x 4 would have been ok, but not great.

4.25 x 7 is just dumb.

No reason to give a player of Abdelkader's caliber a 7 year contract.

Agreed. His price is fine, not excessive not cheap. His term is awful and that should have been a much better bargaining chip for his salary.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

cao hit is fine. the term is not. 40 point scoring UFAs don't get 7 year deals and if they do, it's probably a bad contract. can you name comparable forwards to abdelkader in terms of his style of play, production (career and recent), situation (linemates etc) and age who also produced well in their mid-30s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad