Confirmed with Link: Wings re-sign Abdelkader for 7 years 4.25m/yr full NTC in first 4 yrs, partial after

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No reason to give a player of Abdelkader's caliber a 7 year contract.

Of course there's a reason.

You won't get him for 4.25M for 4 years, because, with shorther contract, Abdelkader's caphit would have been 5M.

Holland bought lower caphit by extending the contract with extra years (just like he did with Zetterberg and Franzen but now under stricter rules), because cap is gonna drop or stand pat at near future.

Economy has impact in here and the idea of contract is ideal in these circumstances because of the weak Canadian dollar and cap will probably rise at the near of the end of Abdelkader's contgract, when the relative caphit goes smaller and matches with his dropping productions. So it's perfect. You can build it any better.

Short contract would have caused a salary cap problem especially for next season. Long contract took the caphit down and it hurts less after 4-5 years with a higher cap.

Kenny just knows these contract value things in long-term planning so much better than you others. That's why he is the GM.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

You won't get him for 4.25M for 4 years, because, with shorther contract, Abdelkader's caphit would have been 5M.

Holland bought lower caphit by extending the contract with extra years (just like he did with Zetterberg and Franzen but now under stricter rules), because cap is gonna drop or stand pat at near future.

Economy has impact in here and the idea of contract is ideal in these circumstances because of the weak Canadian dollar and cap will probably rise at the near of the end of Abdelkader's contgract, when the relative caphit goes smaller and matches with his dropping productions. So it's perfect. You can build it any better.

Short contract would have caused a salary cap problem especially for next season. Long contract took the caphit down and it hurts less after 4-5 years with a higher cap.

Kenny just knows these contract value things in long-term planning so much better than you others. That's why he is the GM.

Or he was overly generous and loyal to a Michigan kid.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

i would much rather have him at 4x5mil than this contract. i'd take the former every day and twice on sundays,

or the canadian dollar might start bumping up as soon as after next season.

there is no salary cap problem for next season. they have plenty of room to sign their few RFAs. it's pretty unlikely they get one of the star UFAs (if there even will be ones) and that 0.75 mil difference in cap wouldn't have hurt it that much that it was worth it to get those 3 extra years on it.

if the next wave is the future, larkins, manthas, mrazek's and etc, it would've been better to not have abdelkader's contract on the books at all in order to build better team then.

it made sense with franzen and zett because they were much better players at the time and wings were going for it. now they have little to no chance at the cup in the next few seasons barring major changes.

we'll see how good this and few other contracts look like in the future.

part of his planning also involved to have stephan robidas or dan boyle's contract on the books next season..

. Akader is a market value.

show me the players who got 7 years at or around 4 mil/6% of the cap at 29 and one 20+goal season on their career.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I can name a comparable contract, David Clarkson. He scored 30 goals though, something Abby has not even approached

How is Clarkson comparable? There's 1M difference in caphit

Abdelkader with 5.25M offer would be able for critics. But what makes Clarkson a comparable, if the salary ain't same even near.

Clarkson was signed contract starting for 2013-14 season (64.3M cap) for 5.25M.

Abdelakder is signed for 4.25M for 2016-17 season (cap estimate 71.4M, standing pat).

Clarkson was 8.16% of cap on that time.

Abdelkader is 5.95% of estimated cap. Even less if cap goes a bit up.

THERE'S HUGE RELATIVE DIFFERENCE, CLARKSON WAS PAID 37% MORE than Abdelkader was with this contract. That Clarkson was a ****ing mistake. Akader is a market value.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar

Abdelkader with 5.25M offer would be able for critics. But what makes Clarkson a comparable, if the salary ain't same even near.

Abdelakder is signed for 4.25M for 2016-17 season (cap estimate 71.4M, standing pat).

THERE'S HUGE RELATIVE DIFFERENCE, CLARKSON WAS PAID 37% MORE than Abdelkader was with this contract. That Clarkson was a ****ing mistake. Akader is a market value.

It's the combination of term AND AVV that bothers people. It's a market price (debatable though considering Abby has only one season where his production matches his future contract), but the term makes the contract borderline horrible.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
I still somehow have the impression that this contract is to Abdelkader what the current contract was to Clarkson - i.e. something that should have come from the UFA market.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It really makes me wonder if it was Abdelkader or Holland pushing for extra years. If Holland didn't want all those years, what did he start with... 8? Then talked him down to 7? That's the maximum UFA number anyway.

To be a fly on the wall, ya know?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It really makes me wonder if it was Abdelkader or Holland pushing for extra years. If Holland didn't want all those years, what did he start with... 8? Then talked him down to 7? That's the maximum UFA number anyway.

To be a fly on the wall, ya know?

I've always imagined contract negotiations to be something similar to what we see in Pawn Stars.

Holland: So what do you got for us?

Agent: I have this Justin Abdelkader right here, up for a contract extension.

Holland: Wow, interesting. Listen, I like this Abdelkader, but let me call a buddy of mine who is an expert on guys like Abdelkader.

*phone rings*

Cleary: Hello?

:sarcasm:

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
I've always imagined contract negotiations to be something similar to what we see in Pawn Stars.

Holland: So what do you got for us?

Agent: I have this Justin Abdelkader right here, up for a contract extension.

Holland: Wow, interesting. Listen, I like this Abdelkader, but let me call a buddy of mine who is an expert on guys like Abdelkader.

*phone rings*

Cleary: Hello?

:sarcasm:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::handclap:

Not exactly related, but where is that Flashy gif with Holland and veterans? :laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

The structure of Clarkson's contract is also one for the ages and often overlooked...

Clarkson and Abdelkader aren't that similar. Undersized power forwards breakdown earlier. Abdelkader is actually incredibly more solid than Clarkson ever was in terms of physical build on top of being ridiculously better as a skater. He is a poor comparison, one that I have incredible trouble wrapping my head around as the doomsday scenario....

You want the doomsday scenario here is a name. RJ Umberger.... That one I will at least listen too.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
The structure of Clarkson's contract is also one for the ages and often overlooked...

Clarkson and Abdelkader aren't that similar. Undersized power forwards breakdown earlier. Abdelkader is actually incredibly more solid than Clarkson ever was in terms of physical build on top of being ridiculously better as a skater. He is a poor comparison, one that I have incredible trouble wrapping my head around as the doomsday scenario....

You want the doomsday scenario here is a name. RJ Umberger.... That one I will at least listen too.

I watched RJ Umberger play for years. He never resembled Abby. I think Clarkson is a perfect comparison.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I watched RJ Umberger play for years. He never resembled Abby. I think Clarkson is a perfect comparison.

RJ Umberger played in the Top 6 for those better numbers though, since being elevated that is a lot what Abelkader plays like. Abdelkader has always had better offensive instincts than Clarkson. Abdelkader passes the puck better than him, is better in the corners, has more speed, is better defensively and can play in all situations.

Clarkson is also a 6'0" 207 lbs player. One that plays a bigger game than his body truly allows. Clarkson doesn't represent Gator hardly at all, other than fears over a large term contract.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

So it's one of the episodes where Big Hoss takes a gamble without consulting the expert and finds out his authentic power forward is actually a knock off? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I don't think this contract is a huge detriment for the Wings. I just don't understand it at all and continue to believe it shows poor judgement. The timing and term have yet to be explained to me in a way that makes sense and the only relative com parables are contracts that look pretty rough.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
My guess is Holland plans to retire in 4 years so he decided the extra cap hit on the end is someone else's problem.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
My guess is Holland plans to retire in 4 years so he decided the extra cap hit on the end is someone else's problem.

He will buy him out, Or maybe Abby can be traded by then. Dats and Z will probably be gone. So it's not like theres anybody that will be considered "wing for life" unless its martin maybe.

I dont want Martin. He just seems like he wouldnt be a good GM

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
RJ Umberger played in the Top 6 for those better numbers though, since being elevated that is a lot what Abelkader plays like. Abdelkader has always had better offensive instincts than Clarkson. Abdelkader passes the puck better than him, is better in the corners, has more speed, is better defensively and can play in all situations.

Clarkson is also a 6'0" 207 lbs player. One that plays a bigger game than his body truly allows. Clarkson doesn't represent Gator hardly at all, other than fears over a large term contract.

Clarkson's shot was much better, which is pretty important considering both guys are getting paid to score.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Gator in no way has better offensive instincts compared to a guy who has had better offensive seasons without the benefit of Datsyuk.

Actual Thought*

Gator in no way has better offensive instincts compared to a guy who has had better offensive seasons without the benefit of Datsyuk.

So far this year Abby has a pretty good pace and he hasn't had the benefit of Datsyuk. Some of his goals have been dandy's! The other night he scored a beauty! His hands have gotten much, much better to go along with his physical play and net front presence. His hands are much more important than "offensive instinct" in his role. Get the puck to line mates and get in front of the net doesn't require elite instincts. I would rather enjoy watching what he is actually doing than to hypothesize on what he might not do someday.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What a terrifically short sighted opinion

maybe, but at the same time, Abdelkader's play the past couple of years does get shoved under the table a bit. The guy has gotten better at his job, and he has been productive. He doesn't go out and put X points up every Y number of games, but a lot of players put points up in spurts and start. I don't really like the contract, but at least for now and the next few seasons, it could at least be fair value.

Last edited by a moderator:

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
maybe, but at the same time, Abdelkader's play the past couple of years does get shoved under the table a bit. The guy has gotten better at his job, and he has been productive. He doesn't go out and put X points up every Y number of games, but a lot of players put points up in spurts and start. I don't really like the contract, but at least for now and the next few seasons, it could at least be fair value.
I agree, it is the future seasons that I dislike about this contract. If it was 4 years I would be very happy with it.
The guy is playing well. Tons of players play well into their mid 30s. I expect Abby will be one of those players.

Much better to recognize the future impacts of this contract rather than completely ignoring them, however I am skeptical that he will be an effective player in 8 years. We can hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille