Confirmed with Link: Wings re-sign Abdelkader for 7 years 4.25m/yr full NTC in first 4 yrs, partial after

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I hope everyone has had the fact that this is David Clarkson 2.0 illuminated to them. This will be a top 10 worst contract in the league especially when Lecavalier and Macdonald come off the books.

We just started getting rid of bad contracts, we have a few more? Why add even more?

Also, fire Ken Holland.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
That contract...

image2-300x225.jpg

8.5M tied up with him and Ericsson for 4+ years.

Quality contracts and signings Kenny :sarcasm:

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

How could these negotiations possibly have played out?

"Justin, look, I can either sign you to one-year deals every year when your game starts to go downhill or we can save ourselves some time and get a 7-year deal done now."

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
oh god

why tie yourself to Justin Abdelkader for such a ridiculous length of time?

and I still don't get why now instead of later in the season or the offseason for less money after he puts up like a 10 goal season

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The only thing that could be worse for the team is if we learned Larkin got hit by a train and died

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
next up Quincey getting a 7 year 5 per deal. Does Holland have problems letting players go? Just horrible. And for 7 years you would think it would be under 4 not over

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
oh god

why tie yourself to Justin Abdelkader for such a ridiculous length of time?

and I still don't get why now instead of later in the season or the offseason for less money after he puts up like a 10 goal season

Yeah. Guess Abbys agent called Kenny up after the Toronto hattrick. "Hey bud, I know we're on pace for 246 goals this year but I'm willing to offer you a sweet hometown discount, let's chat"

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
The only thing that could be worse for the team is if we learned Larkin got hit by a train and died

I legitimately LOL'ed at this.

What I don't understand is why the **** this deal needed to be done now. Abdelkader has returned to the mean for the past month. Why the hell wouldn't you wait a few more months and see if Abdelkader isn't sitting there with 12 points in 30 games or something? Does Holland really think Abdelkader is all of a sudden going to bust open and look poised for a 50 point season? What the hell was the rush?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I legitimately LOL'ed at this.

What I don't understand is why the **** this deal needed to be done now. Abdelkader has returned to the mean for the past month. Why the hell wouldn't you wait a few more months and see if Abdelkader isn't sitting there with 12 points in 30 games or something? Does Holland really think Abdelkader is all of a sudden going to bust open and look poised for a 50 point season? What the hell was the rush?

Maybe I over exaggerated a bit. I would be a little happier if Abby wasn't already almost 29 years old. But he's close to 30, so last season is probably the best we will ever see from him

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Nothing about Abdelkader's play really indicates that he has regressed from last season. He looks exactly the same. He may not score 23 goals this year but he'll 99% be at 15+. If he plays the top line with Z and Dats his production may shoot up even more. There's little reason to think this year will lower his value.

A 50 point season would mean this is a steal. People have ridiculous expectations of what you get for 4 million in this league today.

7 years is the only downside to this deal. But keep in mind that 7 years is a long time, a lot can happen, not only to Abdelkader's play but to the league. Expansion, increase salary cap, lockouts etc. And with the contract we have coming off the books in that timeframe I see very little risk that a 4.25m cap hit becomes some huge anchor. Even the Weiss deal wasn't all that problematic to get rid of.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
giphy.gif

Mind boggling. Term that long and even the caphit is way too much (for such a long contract).

Thinking about hopping on the #fireholland bandwagon after this one. The timing, AAV with that term...everything about this contract just disgusts me.

Last edited:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Gross. Not sure why he got more then Beleskey got this summer as a FA.

I'd love to know what GM would've given Abdelkader this deal in free agency. What the **** did Holland think he was saving himself from with this deal? Is the entire front office that out of touch with who Justin Abdelkader is? Did he not get the memo that while the likes of Clarkson and Bickell are beloved when wearing the hardhat, they're ****ing useless when sapping the team of core money?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Nothing about Abdelkader's play really indicates that he has regressed from last season. He looks exactly the same. He may not score 23 goals this year but he'll 99% be at 15+. If he plays the top line with Z and Dats his production may shoot up even more. There's little reason to think this year will lower his value.

A 50 point season would mean this is a steal. People have ridiculous expectations of what you get for 4 million in this league today.

7 years is the only downside to this deal. But keep in mind that 7 years is a long time, a lot can happen, not only to Abdelkader's play but to the league. Expansion, increase salary cap, lockouts etc. And with the contract we have coming off the books in that timeframe I see very little risk that a 4.25m cap hit becomes some huge anchor. Even the Weiss deal wasn't all that problematic to get rid of.

This is the biggest rose-colored spin I've seen. You keep talking about the cap hit as though contracts in a salary capped league can be talked about without accounting for term. This deal is terrible. There is no getting around that. If you're signing anyone to a 7 year contract, it damn well better be at a discount. If you're signing a soon-to-be 29 year old to a 7 year contract, it damn well better be at a steep discount.

And then you want to talk about the contracts coming off the books? Well how about raises for Dekeyser, Tatar, Larkin, Mrazek, and anyone else who decides to elevate their game?

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
David Clarkson 2.0, I mean just awful in every way , to much money and way to much term for a third liner.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And then you want to talk about the contracts coming off the books? Well how about raises for Dekeyser, Tatar, Larkin, Mrazek, and anyone else who decides to elevate their game?
I just feel that Dekeyser can be paid for mostly by the money currently tied up in Quincey/Kindl. Tatar, Larkin and Mrazek should all be reasonably cost-controlled in the near-term. Howard could be traded if we can't afford to re-sign Mrazek without it. Datsyuk likely isn't around for long, that's a big chunk of money that we will not invest in a 1:1 replacement, it will be distributed around the lineup. Zetterberg is probably gone by the time Larkin is ready to make big money.

I don't really see a big problem cap wise for us in the near term. It could have happened if Jurco and Pulkkinen both elevated their game, but both look like they will be cheap if we even want to keep them.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

the thing is that last years production was a total fluke

before last year his career shooting percentage was 6.6 then last year he suddenly puts up a 14.9

if he had shot at his career shooting percentage last year he would have literally had 10 goals instead of 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad