GDT: Wings @ Hawks, preseason Gm 2, 8:30

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I don't I have said it all along his go to move of walking off the half wall was never going to work in the NHL, it is not now and has not worked and wont. He can't skate threw the d like he did before hes a one trick pony who's trick does not work in the biggs.
Sadly it’s looking more and more to be the case. The press says he’s fixed this and that, but today’s game he looked exactly the same as he did preseason game 1 last year.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I actually am starting to become mildly concerned with zadina. Seems like puljujarvi 2.0. Has the talent, not the brains. Im trying not to jump the gun though, hes only what, 19?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Seider, after a shaky couple of first shifts, was steady and very rangy, he has a pretty long reach. Him (and Zadina) playing against Toews and Kane shows that Blashill thinks they are getting to the point of playing against men, which is awesome for their development.

Blackhawks were basically icing a regular squad, while Detroit was playing their B squad.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Might as well give him the Norris and the Calder now :D

(In all seriousness, that is a very formidable number, we need a D man that can just eat minutes like that)

Top3 VO2max leader (at draft combine) pretty much can do that. He just has great physical talent or is better trained than any of our defencemen.

Seider, after a shaky couple of first shifts, was steady and very rangy, he has a pretty long reach.

Top3 Wingspan at draft combine of his class.

And Wingspan becomes a thing, when it's more than your height.

Like 6'7 wingspan for a 6'8 guy is nothing. But some extra inches to your wingspan vs. height makes miracles. Pavel Datsyuk had his monkey hands and that enabled his puck control area huge thanks to that. Much greater than a "normal" player of his size.

Normal human has about the same wingspan as height. I am exactly like that. I've never seen Datsyuk's real measurements, but I'm almost sure he was 5'10 tall and had 6'2 "monkey" hands.

Seider is 6'4 tall and wingspan was 6'7 + half inch at combine. That's perfect and makes possible to play with long stick etc. Bigger puck control area and bigger puck retrieval area.

Last edited:
Reactions: LucaBrasil

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think people need to dial it down on how "awful" Zadina has been. He didn't have an amazing game, but he had a number of nice plays, and looked better as towards the end of the game. Also, how about relax, not every kid is going to blow the doors off immediately or else they are a bust!

-Seider is really showing how good he is at reading the play, as he always seems to know offensively and defensively where he needs to be or what needs to be done. I will say, that he looks a little not suited to the NHL physically at this point. He does seem like he needs to skate just a bit quicker as well.

-Veleno didn't have a great game, but some nice rushes later in the game, especially the main chance he created. I don't think he is physically going to be ready for the NHL, as he looks too easy to push around.

-Rasmussen has really impressed me thus far, he is playing with a lot more confidence looks like, and honestly looks like he should make the team right now.

-Larsson had a terrible start and some more lucky moments later on, but was ok down the stretch. He is definitely not close to being NHL ready at this point in my opinion, which is fair as he is still very young.

-Puempel has looked good and has outplayed de la Rose by a good margin. Only problem for Puempel is de la Rose is the better defensive player and Puempel won't crack the top 6, so probably no spot for him. Based on his play, I think he deserves at least an opening season chance with the Wings.

-Agree with most that Ericsson and Daley look slow, especially Ericsson. Although I will say that veterans that have regular spots usually aren't playing at the hardest level, as it is more about getting back into playing again, versus playing super hard. If they are playing, hopefully this is just not giving full effort yet.

-Bernier and Howard: CAN WE PLEASE STOP PLAYING THE PUCK? They both suck at it, and it is a TRAINWRECK waiting to happen, just stay in net and let the other team get it, they do anyways.

All in all, considering the Hawks basically had all their good players playing and we were missing our big guys, we played pretty well, which was nice to see. I will say it was also not a great game to watch overall though, as there weren't a lot of exciting moments.

PS- Eddie Olczyk gets the award for highlighting the most basic hockey plays as some awesome play being made by the Hawks! Maatta cuts off a pass in front of their net and it is a really nice veteran reading the play moment. One of their defenders doesn't jump in on offence, but instead retreats as the play comes back their way, and it is a great read. All the stuff he was highlighting were plays that can and do get made by even AHL and ECHL level players at the NHL level.

Reactions: NotLeddy and Tetsuo

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
razz is not the same as homer . he is the same as , like said last nite by tze , anderchuk . the guy is huge -rugged-smart-decent handed . he is a nightmare for opponants below the circles where he man handles people . and the guys 100% commited / intense , people wont cheap shot him like they did homer . his issue now is growing into his body , he's still a little akward . has to improve his coordination with off ice body weight / balance / gymnastics stuff . once he becomes more coordinated he'll be super effective holding onto the puck and bulldozing .

ide put zadina on the 4 line with glenny and sick him on opponants best wingers . tell him if you score thats a bonus , the minutes your getting are for shutting down other teams big scorers . im changing you into a two way forward

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
80 percent Ozone starts.

Damn, what an team effort when the lowest Ozone percentage for defenceman was 60% (Lashoff).

You must hate that too. :)

The difference between highest Seider and lowest Lashoff was +4 more offensive zone faceoffs.

I wouldn't pull any conclusions from that, but if you really want to bash somebody, take Ericsson and his 60% Ozone percentage and being outshot 1-9 when on the ice.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Zadina still doesn't look ready. He looks good but still needs to go back in the oven to cook a little longer til he's tender enough. Veleno looks awesome. Been like that since prospect tourney.

I don't know where did he train or how did he train, but he really looks physically weak/slow.

And Adam Erne looks like he is the top forward already physically. Like a guy from another planet vs. guys from our Red Wings planet. And this guy can't fit at Tampa? That team really does something with another level with their developing program.

Put Zadina on this new Yzerman-built special training program and expect results later. Skill doesn't disappear anywhere, but he needs be more fit and that gives the confidence.

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Has the talent, not the brains.

I've been thinking the same thing. He comes across as kind of dumb — maybe just immature. Especially when you compare him to Seider, who mentally appears to be the exact opposite.

Besides that, my main issue with Zadina is that he is a turnover machine. You can't give him the puck without it quickly being squandered.

Actually, his "assist" last night was probably the most telling. He had the puck, in the circle, with some time and space. Really his "money-making" area and he shoots it into the defenceman – not even a shot of goal. Luckily there was a good bounce and we got a goal off it.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I didnt realize Zadina played half the game against Toews and Kanes line. He wasnt really playing with support that you would need to look good against them. I'm not saying Hirose isnt a good player, but theyre both offensive wingers that dont match up well against that line. I know people will go to each pole and either say he was amazing or that he looked horrible but I think he was somewhere in the middle.

A lot of his better shifts probably came when Toews and Kane werent out against him. I'm not making excuses for him but I would like to see him with a better line up before I start making judgements. If that game has Larkins line in there and playing against Toews and Kane, I dont think theres much to complain about. Seriously, those guys had the puck the entire time and part of that was because no one could win a faceoff against Toews. Hell even put Glendening on that line with Hirose/Zadina and I bet it looks a bit different.

I'm not sure Seider is completely NHL ready but he looks like he probably could play right now. The AHL might be a bit better for him to QB a powerplay and stuff like that for ~60 games this year and play ~20 with the wings. I dont see him playing any PP time in Detroit while Green and Hronek are around plus Kaski potentially. I would like to see him go down there and work on his one timer and actually play big PP minutes. A little bit of offensive touch/polishing is all it looks like hes missing right now

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't I have said it all along his go to move of walking off the half wall was never going to work in the NHL, it is not now and has not worked and wont. He can't skate threw the d like he did before hes a one trick pony who's trick does not work in the biggs.

That's not all he does, though. They set him up there on the man advantage because that's the best place to take advantage of his shot, but he showed the ability to generate offense all over the ice last year with GR. I agree, he can't stick through people like he had been able to in lower leagues. He learned that a bit in GR last year, he'll probably have to refine that learning when he makes the Wings. But I don't see him as a one trick pony.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Hard for Zadina to get time and space when he's matched up against Toews and Kane. He moved around well on the powerplay, and he created an assist, even if it was accidental.

Seider was awesome, get him into the lineup on opening day already. He smooooth.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm not sure Seider is completely NHL ready but he looks like he probably could play right now. The AHL might be a bit better for him to QB a powerplay and stuff like that for ~60 games this year and play ~20 with the wings.
If they can feed him huge, important minutes in GR, go ahead and do that. But I want to see him in some real NHL games this season. He looks good. I wanna see what he's like outside of preseason with 2 full NHL rosters. Well... one NHL roster and then our roster...

Reactions: RedMenace

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hard for Zadina to get time and space when he's matched up against Toews and Kane. He moved around well on the powerplay, and he created an assist, even if it was accidental.

Seider was awesome, get him into the lineup on opening day already. He smooooth.

Zadina's biggest problem is finding space. I actually think he is finding more of it this year so far. But that is also part of driving through the middle more frequently to open lanes. He needs more motion in his game for me. He also needs to realize the puck is faster than him at times when he attempts sweeping across ice. But he is a talented guy, I am not writing him off. It is why I didn't see superstar but I think he can be a 30 goal guy still at some point when he rounds out some of his game. There is still a really good player there and it could all click for a superstar but it is minor tweaks. He is progressing, been a lot better player across all 200 feet for me than he was a year ago.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I
I'm not sure Seider is completely NHL ready but he looks like he probably could play right now. The AHL might be a bit better for him to QB a powerplay and stuff like that for ~60 games this year and play ~20 with the wings. I dont see him playing any PP time in Detroit while Green and Hronek are around plus Kaski potentially.

I think we have 5 regular powerplay-slots in the organization. 2 at Detroit and 3 at Grand Rapids. At Detroit they like to go with only 1 defenceman on the both units and at Griffins it has been 1 man on first unit and 2 defenceman at 2nd unit.

Green
Hronek
Cholowski
Kaski
Seider

These should be guys slotted on those.

This would proably hurt Bowey at NHL level and Saarijärvi at AHL level, but that's life. Better guys will go past you. ECHL still and option for Saarijärvi.

Maybe 2-defenceman NHL 2nd unit, to give something for Bowey?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
He had the puck, in the circle, with some time and space. Really his "money-making" area and he shoots it into the defenceman – not even a shot of goal. Luckily there was a good bounce and we got a goal off it.
Come on, be realistic. He clearly saw Hirose and planned the bank pass.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
That's not all he does, though. They set him up there on the man advantage because that's the best place to take advantage of his shot, but he showed the ability to generate offense all over the ice last year with GR. I agree, he can't stick through people like he had been able to in lower leagues. He learned that a bit in GR last year, he'll probably have to refine that learning when he makes the Wings. But I don't see him as a one trick pony.
I hope to god I'm wrong, I'm hoping our system teaches him how to play a NHL type 200' game. I really want to see him and Joey V in GR this year.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

The problem is he had time and space and gave it away with poor shots, losing the hande, etc.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I don't know where did he train or how did he train, but he really looks physically weak/slow.

And Adam Erne looks like he is the top forward already physically. Like a guy from another planet vs. guys from our Red Wings planet. And this guy can't fit at Tampa? That team really does something with another level with their developing program.

Put Zadina on this new Yzerman-built special training program and expect results later. Skill doesn't disappear anywhere, but he needs be more fit and that gives the confidence.

I've actually wondered for a while if we have issues with our development/training program. Too many players not living up to expectations, or regressing or getting injured way too frequently. Can't be a coincidence. Hopefully Stevie corrects the ship here.

I've been thinking the same thing. He comes across as kind of dumb — maybe just immature. Especially when you compare him to Seider, who mentally appears to be the exact opposite.

Besides that, my main issue with Zadina is that he is a turnover machine. You can't give him the puck without it quickly being squandered.

Actually, his "assist" last night was probably the most telling. He had the puck, in the circle, with some time and space. Really his "money-making" area and he shoots it into the defenceman – not even a shot of goal. Luckily there was a good bounce and we got a goal off it.

Finally, thank you. I'm seeing so many people and the press talking about Zadina's "Great feed/assist" to Hirose when in fact it was a shit shot that was blocked that just happened to fall next to Hirose's feet. Talk about sugar coating.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Finally, thank you. I'm seeing so many people and the press talking about Zadina's "Great feed/assist" to Hirose when in fact it was a **** shot that was blocked that just happened to fall next to Hirose's feet. Talk about sugar coating.

Would love to see where you saw that because I think you just completely made that up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad