GDT: Wings @ Hawks, preseason Gm 2, 8:30

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
He had 0 giveaways through 2 periods according to the stats... so shut it lol
Turnover and giveaway are two very different things.

Turnover = sending the puck to opposition

ex. a defenceman sending the puck up the middle intercepted by opposition is a turnover

Giveaway = someone taking the puck off your stuck and holding onto possession

ex. Datsyuk coming from behind stealing the puck from someone is a giveaway

THIS IS NOT BASKETALL, TURNOVERS is NOT an NHL stat.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Makes sense, but I'm definitely not a fan of trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. I wouldn't be surprised if Zadina is moved at some point in the next couple of seasons if he doesn't start toeing the line.

I think Zadina will get it. I'm not sure why, but that's just the feeling I get. If he doesn't, like you said, he'll be dealt. The kid works hard, though. He's not always effective, but he works hard in all three zones, he doesn't seem to cherry pick, and he's not afraid to at least try to take the body. I'll be surprised if he doesn't find his pro game in the near future.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Very apparent that there should be 0 place on this D-core for Daley and E. Also MO is really really good

I can see an argument for keeping Daley this season, but Ericsson is donezo from the looks of it. Hopefully he'll be rotated quite a bit during the season, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think Zadina will get it. I'm not sure why, but that's just the feeling I get. If he doesn't, like you said, he'll be dealt. The kid works hard, though. He's not always effective, but he works hard in all three zones, he doesn't seem to cherry pick, and he's not afraid to at least try to take the body. I'll be surprised if he doesn't find his pro game in the near future.

I agree completely, and I hope he does find his game soonish; he'll definitely be a powerful offensive weapon if/when he does.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
How so? He's gotten some good looks, but hasn't really stood out any other way. He's the same player he's the same player he was last year, and has always been.

Why I think Puempel has been the best Wing so far?

- created much of the Wings offensive chances in both games
- solid work on the boards winning many of the 50/50 battles
- doing great job coming back defensively, few times his backcheck on Kane/Toews caused turnovers
- has been doing a good job keeping the cycle going in game 2, something Detroit has been struggling with much of the game

I don't mean he's the most skilled player on the squad by anymeans, but his play overall has been the best through the 2 preseason games.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Z didn’t impress me tonight. He seemed a bit lost and threw pucks out when he didn’t need too. His game could be a bit tighter.

As for the D, Big Rig looked bad. Mo looked alright. Nobody else stood out to me. Larsson seemed decent in goal, but I think he got rattled and his game dropped from there. Not that it helps he’s playing Toews and Kane.

Reactions: ShanahanMan

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I thought Seider looked like he mightve been the wings second best D tonight all said and done. I thought Green mightve played better but Green is just really smooth offensively. Seider looks like he has some offensive potential though and really holds the line well, he does need to work on a clapper though. His huge frame teeing up one timers could be deadly.

Smith had a great third, had Toews kinda going after him at one point, had a good fight right before that sticking up for Erne on a borderline hit. Seemed like the Hawks were thinking about him more than they should've been considering hes a 2nd round pick with one pro year and those guys have a few cups and olympic medals between them.

One thing I'll say about Zadina, I think he had a decent game. Definitely no worse than most of the other young guys but even with people not liking his game he finds a way onto the score sheet again which he has done all preseason so far.

I want to see all these younger guys playing with Larkin Mantha Bertuzzi and AA in the line up where they dont have to be out against Toews half the game. I dont think Ras or Veleno one a single face off against him all night

Reactions: Larkin2AA

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
I thought Seider looked like he mightve been the wings second best D tonight all said and done. I thought Green mightve played better but Green is just really smooth offensively. Seider looks like he has some offensive potential though and really holds the line well, he does need to work on a clapper though. His huge frame teeing up one timers could be deadly.

Smith had a great third, had Toews kinda going after him at one point, had a good fight right before that sticking up for Erne on a borderline hit. Seemed like the Hawks were thinking about him more than they should've been considering hes a 2nd round pick with one pro year and those guys have a few cups and olympic medals between them.

One thing I'll say about Zadina, I think he had a decent game. Definitely no worse than most of the other young guys but even with people not liking his game he finds a way onto the score sheet again which he has done all preseason so far.

I want to see all these younger guys playing with Larkin Mantha Bertuzzi and AA in the line up where they dont have to be out against Toews half the game. I dont think Ras or Veleno one a single face off against him all night

No, Seider was Detroit's best defenseman tonight. He played more minutes than any other skater at 5v5 and still dominated the relative possession metrics/expected goals in comparison to the rest of the team.

Very promising stuff- Detroit Red Wings @ Chicago Blackhawks, 2019-09-18

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Zadina still doesn't look ready. He looks good but still needs to go back in the oven to cook a little longer til he's tender enough. Veleno looks awesome. Been like that since prospect tourney.

Reactions: golffuul

Christien

May 1, 2010
Seider leading the team in ice time and not looking out of place whatsoever against a pretty stacked Chicago team in his preseason debut. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot more of that to come for him.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I really think Seider is ready to at least get looks this season with the team to fill in for injuries etc.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Some thoughts on the Wings youngsters.
Zadina - Not good thought. Poor shot selection. Lost the handle probably more than anyone on either team. Trying too hard? I don't know. This what we see virtually all the time.
Rasmussen - Looked like a kid with some NHL experience. Here's the test for Rasmussen - especially now that everyone thinks he can be a center one day. When he skates against NHL opponents, moving forward, with the puck on his stick. And you can count 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi, before he shoots, passes or dumps - then maybe he's ready for the NHL. Still, it's easy to see where this kid has some NHL ability. Whether a winger or C, I think GR is probably the best place for him this year.
Hirose - Scored. Had a couple late centering passes for shots that could have tied it. He is a playmaker. Reminds me of a less dynamic Nyquist - in that he's probably a pass-first winger. Undersized. Nyquist seemed to have more "shoot" in his game and was a better skater.
Veleno - Quiet at times. Seemed to get benched early in the third. Had a highlight reel deke (backhand-forehand Zetterberg style) to get out front for a chance. Won a faceoff against Toews. Had some trouble at times against that Toews line.
Seider- Looked solid. Also looked unspectacular. Defensively, he only got beat once or twice. Smart. Skates well. Knows how to use speed and size defensively and to keep pucks in the zone. Aggressive. I loved his pinch late in the second. Whiffed on the shot, but that was a gutsy play.
Lindstrom - Didn't notice him out there. That might be a good thing after going -4 in the prospect tournament.
Smith - After a strong rookie tournament, he's still playing well. I'm banking on 15-25 goals in GR this year. Loved how he challenged Seabrook and others, and then came to Erne's defense.
Kuffner - Looked how I thought he'd look. A step too slow.
Larsson - Didn't look hot after giving up the Keith slapper and then having the post rung 2-3 times. But settled in and was solid. Looks like he needs work on his angles. Seems to show a lot of net.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Thru 2 gp

RankNAMETEAMGPTOIGAPTS+/-PTS/GSOGGWGFWFLFW%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
38 Taro Hirose, LW DET 2 18:34 1 1 2 -1 1.0 4 0 0 1 0.00
38 Filip Zadina, RW DET 1 22:19 0 1 1 0 1.0 0 0 0 1 0.00
38 Patrik Nemeth, D DET 1 20:23 0 1 1 0 1.0 2 0 0 0 0.00
38 Dennis Cholowski, D DET 1 17:01 0 1 1 1 1.0 2 0 0 0 0.00
38 Evgeny Svechnikov, RW DET 1 12:30 0 1 1 0 1.0 3 0 0 1 0.00
38 Christoffer Ehn, C DET 2 15:45 0 1 1 1 0.5 3 0 0 2 0.00
38 Matthew Ford, RW DET 1 8:53 1 0 1 2 1.0 3 0 0 0 0.00
38 Luke Glendening, C DET 1 18:09 1 0 1 1 1.0 2 0 4 5 44.44
38 Joseph Veleno, C DET 1 16:39 0 1 1 -1 1.0 3 0 6 6 50.00
38 Joe Hicketts, D DET 1 20:23 0 1 1 1 1.0 1 0 0 0 0.00
38 Chase Pearson, C DET 1 15:57 0 1 1 0 1.0 2 0 5 4 55.56
38 Dominic Turgeon, C DET 1 13:38 0 1 1 0 1.0 4 0 1 5 16.67
38 Chris Terry, LW DET 2 10:42 1 0 1 -1 0.5 5 0 0 0 0.00
38 Matt Puempel, LW DET 2 13:02 1 0 1 0 0.5 7 0 0 0 0.00
38 Turner Elson, C DET 1 14:18 0 1 1 2 1.0 1 0 0 1 0.00
38 Michael Rasmussen, C DET 2 17:12 1 0 1 -1 0.5 3 1 7 10 41.18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Christien

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Why I think Puempel has been the best Wing so far?

- created much of the Wings offensive chances in both games
- solid work on the boards winning many of the 50/50 battles
- doing great job coming back defensively, few times his backcheck on Kane/Toews caused turnovers
- has been doing a good job keeping the cycle going in game 2, something Detroit has been struggling with much of the game

I don't mean he's the most skilled player on the squad by anymeans, but his play overall has been the best through the 2 preseason games.

Almost every time I see Puempel in the winged wheel, he's doing good things. It's weird this guy can't catch a job in the NHL.

Reactions: decaguard

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Thought Veleno, Hirose, and Seider looked good out of all of the young kids. Puempel, Terry and Smith definitely have the work ethic to play in the NHL...for Smith, it's just a matter of finding what his pro game is going to be, other than an enforcer. He needs to bring a bit more value, like Bertuzzi. Will be interesting to see how he develops.

Zadina looked like he was forcing his game a lot. Same with Rasmussen. The competition they were facing was much higher, tonight, and that could have been an issue...also back to back games for some of them.

Honestly, I'm not sure how they are going to handle Seider, with them carrying 8 D for the first part of the season. Makes me think they want to rotate a few guys around and give Ericsson (and maybe Daley) 50-ish games to keep them from being injured so often. So maybe Mo gets a few games to start the season and then moves down to GR to develop more, or until someone gets injured/traded. If he continues with his play or even gets better, I think he can really be a difference maker as a 4/5 defenceman, this year.

I'd like to see Veleno stay up, too...but I'm not sure we have room with Hirose for sure being on the starting roster, unless both Svech and Ras get sent down.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Honestly, I'm not sure how they are going to handle Seider, with them carrying 8 D for the first part of the season. Makes me think they want to rotate a few guys around and give Ericsson (and maybe Daley) 50-ish games to keep them from being injured so often. So maybe Mo gets a few games to start the season and then moves down to GR to develop more, or until someone gets injured/traded. If he continues with his play or even gets better, I think he can really be a difference maker as a 4/5 defenceman, this year.
Green and Hronek are locks, so it all depends on how Bowey is playing, None of them will wind up playing the left side.

Green will get traded in February, so Seider and/or Kaski will get games this season. BigE can play the right side, but at this point the team would have to be pretty desperate for that to happen (injuries on a road trip or something along those lines).

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I'm 100% sure if Kane ever writes a book of his career, he'll mention that taxi driver and Lidström as the toughest opponents ever met.

I'm only buying the book if he opens up about the rape charges and the random beatings handed out to cab drivers

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Bernier - What an absolute cheap goal to concede. This should really be his last season with us.
Larsson - Big ol' gulp and then got right into the game after that, I like seeing young players bouncing back like that. Particularly goaltenders.

Seider - Ate up the minutes, showed flashes of awareness and a good first step, particularly on his pinch late in the 2nd. Pleasantly surprised, now lets just get him an actual partner, would love to see him alongside DD or Nemeth.

Lindstrom - Quiet in how he went about his business, which as a D-man is fine by me.

Daley - It's only one more season eh ?

Ericsson - See Daley with an added, WTF were YOU doing on the first goal as well?

Green - Good to see him back out there, we know what we get from him, as long as he plays like that, contributes some points then he should be a shoe in for a good return at the deadline.

Lashoff - Fell over

-------

Zadina - The truth exists somewhere in the middle of all the polemic, he wasn't a stand out, but he did enough to be positive overall. We mustn't forget that this is basically where we would be looking at him for the first time had we not managed to circumvent the Juniors/AHL issue. I am treating him now as being at Year 1.

Big Rig Rass - Looks much improved. Much stronger. I still think that his best place this year is in Grand Rapids but I am massively encouraged by what he is doing.

Veleno - More like Vele-YES, amirite ?? But seriously, slow start, grew into the game as it went on. Encouraging but I think he needed a big start and to play well in games 1-8 (or however many he ended up playing) in order to have a chance of making the roster, I think a season in GR awaits now. Which won't be a bad thing.

Hirose - Quiet game but came up with a score and on another day may have had an assist. Needs to be more visible in the bits between his production.

de La Rose - He is great in the face-off circle, had a massive game in that respect on opening night. Will be a useful PK player this year.

Kufner - I really wish he was quicker. I don't see him staying beyond his contract, there is something there but by the time he finds it, then he will be late 20's.

Puempel - I like his moxie. He's almost Draper-esque in how he goes about his business can mix it up but has that little bit about him that can create offensively as well. Intriguing.

------

There were obviously more forwards but those are the ones that gave most cause to say something.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I don't I have said it all along his go to move of walking off the half wall was never going to work in the NHL, it is not now and has not worked and wont. He can't skate threw the d like he did before hes a one trick pony who's trick does not work in the biggs.

Reactions: ShanahanMan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad