GDT: Wings @ Hawks 6pm Nbcsn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Love the offensive output but still don’t love this many sog and the faltering pk. That won’t bode well against Tampa. Gotta clean that up

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Do you honestly think that JC would look at stats after a game and change his opinion of what he just lived through?

Sure, it's a tool, though a sketchy one to be taken with a grain of salt and mainly for folks who were unable to watch a game or games live.

I don’t know what Colliton looks at and neither do you, so no point in saying for sure until he tells us.

I’m not a fan of straight shot stats for the exact reason for what we saw tonight. But as I mentioned, the expected goal (which actually tracks shit vs good attempts) stats actually did a decent job or tracking the eye test.

I do think it’s a bit goofy/flawed to not watch the game and just look at the advanced stats though and draw full conclusions about a single game.

Either way, it’s just a data point and not a full conclusion. Most people who look at them know that.

Reactions: d rake

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Kane is on a 121 point pace. Cat is at 107. I think I said it earlier in the year but I feel like among Hawk fans he’s underrated. He’s really f***ing good.

underrated by those who heavily value two-way and physical play. I know I undervalued Kane during the cup era because I was always so excited over Toews and Hossa.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don’t know what Colliton looks at and neither do you, so no point in saying for sure until he tells us.

I’m not a fan of straight shot stats for the exact reason for what we saw tonight. But as I mentioned, the expected goal stats actually did a decent job or tracking the eye test.

I do think it’s a bit goofy/flawed to not watch the game and just look at the advanced stats though and draw full conclusions about a single game.

Either way, it’s just a data point and not a full conclusion. Most people who look at them know that.
The issue is some people absolutely do believe that Corsi is a true indication of possession. We didn’t win despite getting caved in 5v5 tonight. They flipped pucks at Lankinen. We picked spots, hit spots and had some puck luck. Outside of Carpenters first goal I wouldn’t consider any goal soft or lucky.

Reactions: bwana63

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The issue is some people absolutely do believe that Corsi is a true indication of possession. We didn’t win despite getting caved in 5v5 tonight. They flipped pucks at Lankinen. We picked spots, hit spots and had some puck luck. Outside of Carpenters first goal I wouldn’t consider any goal soft or lucky.

Ya, and they’re wrong IMO. It’s dumb to treat Corsi as gospel for anything when it doesn’t even weight shot quality. At least xGF does that, but it’s still not perfect.

I remember arguing with JD over this a few years ago.

Reactions: Pez68 and bwana63

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Ya, and they’re wrong IMO. It’s dumb to treat Corsi as gospel for anything when it doesn’t even weight shot quality. At least xGF does that, but it’s still not perfect.
Agreed. Advanced analytics are a useful tool. They’re still a far ways away from being perfected. We’ve gone from hammers to screw drivers. Some folks think we’ve gone from blunt instruments to power tools.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Few interesting tidbits:

• Hawks' biggest competitor for that 4th seed right now is Dallas, who is at exactly .500 point percentage. The Hawks have 28pts in 23 games. They could lose the next 5 games all in regulation and they'd be tied in point percentage with Dallas, so long as Dallas doesn't start improving.
  • Out of the top 6 forwards in scoring in the NHL, only one is playing on a US team. #88 is currently tied for 2nd in the league with Leon Draisaitl.
  • The forward who has the most points who isn't playing in Canada and isn't Patrick Kane? That'd be some dude named Alex DeBrincat.
  • Both guys fair a little worse when looking at PPG. Kane is 5th (minimum 5 games played), and DeBrincat edges out some Bread person for the 12th best in the league.
  • Kubalik has played 3 more games, but he's tied with some bitch named Sidney in points.
  • Lankinen is 9th in save percentage for goalies (minimum 5 games played). 5th in save percentage with a minimum of 10 games played.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
After watching replays of the Kane goal for 400, there absolutely should have been a penalty after the goal. Cat gets steamrolled out of nowhere, for no reason other than a Detroit player was pissed off about getting lit up.

Yeah. That should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Last thought of the night but Kubalik looked really dangerous twice outside of his tap in goal. Play him wherever in the lineup, but guys should be looking to feed him in space. He can absolutely rip it.

Maybe put him on the first pp unit over carpenter....but I forgot he retrieves pucks. Keep him there. Lol. bUt RiGhT hAnD sHoT! I know one team who deploys a 4th liner on the pp1 and it’s us.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Maybe put him on the first pp unit over carpenter....but I forgot he retrieves pucks. Keep him there. Lol. bUt RiGhT hAnD sHoT! I know one team who deploys a 4th liner on the pp1 and it’s us.
100%. I love Soda. He’d lie down in traffic for the team. I’m probably his biggest supporter on these boards.

He shouldn’t be on the PP. He definitely shouldn’t be on the PP with Carpenter. No idea what Colliton is doing. I’ve been the guy out for PP minutes because the coach wants that dog on a bone mentality. There’s merit to that. But it’s not sustainable.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
While Boqvist needs to clean up his defensive net front game I will say that he is more than willing to engage physically and he is blocks more shots than expected. This is easy to fix if he is willing (so far he has shown that he is).

I know people hate this term but he has a good stick and this is important going forward.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
100%. I love Soda. He’d lie down in traffic for the team. I’m probably his biggest supporter on these boards.

He shouldn’t be on the PP. He definitely shouldn’t be on the PP with Carpenter. No idea what Colliton is doing. I’ve been the guy out for PP minutes because the coach wants that dog on a bone mentality. There’s merit to that. But it’s not sustainable.

Soda has been a good pick up for the Hawks.

Reactions: DesperateBeliever

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Just let go of the hate.

Why you think i'm hating???

People really should smell the coffee when it comes to Nylander, there simply just isn't room for him.

Besides he injured and all + his contract ends after this season, i don't see a single reason why Hawks
should bring him back for the next season, Hawks have better players what him.

Reactions: Blackhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad