Rumor: Wings going big after Markstrom?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I feel like you'd be disappointed. I don't think they're gonna go crazy as they could buy him out and have 2M left on their books for 4 years. Lehner, a 1.5-2M backup, and Fleury's 2M buyout gives them a 9M goalie room, which is completely workable. So they're not really up against it.
Lehner just signed a new 5 yr deal for $25 million...I’m not sure what you mean with regards to the 1.5-2M comment?

My impression is that Vegas will be having cap issues.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Lehner just signed a new 5 yr deal for $25 million...I’m not sure what you mean with regards to the 1.5-2M comment?

My impression is that Vegas will be having cap issues.

If they get rid of Fleury, they’d have to add a backup. That’s the 1.5-2 million. Or maybe they just promote up a guy for league minimum.

I was just showing how even if they’re in a crunch, it’s not a bad enough one that they’d HAVE to dump Fleury for little or even with a sweetner. They are going to get some value for Fleury.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
If they get rid of Fleury, they’d have to add a backup. That’s the 1.5-2 million. Or maybe they just promote up a guy for league minimum.

I was just showing how even if they’re in a crunch, it’s not a bad enough one that they’d HAVE to dump Fleury for little or even with a sweetner. They are going to get some value for Fleury.

Fleury is owed 6.5 mil in each of the next two seasons, and Vegas doesn’t want to retain salary per reports. There doesn’t appear to be many teams out there that are willing to add significant real dollar salary at this point, so unless Vegas changes its mind and retains a significant chunk of change, they aren’t getting anything for him.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm glad that 66 points is our target for what we want. I'm not sure if you understand... but 66 points is still f***ing terrible... like that's not a goal you should be aiming at.

Are you sure those guys are a massive improvement given that they'll be playing behind a defense that has the following defensive stalwarts playing big roles?

Alex Biega
Filip Hronek (defensively, he's a wreck still)
Madison Bowey
Marc Staal

Also, no... now (COVID-19 offseason) is the time to go after the bigger FAs (not necessarily Krug and Markstrom). Because we have oodles of space and the teams that want to re-sign these guys or the common teams that would be going after them are hampered by the flat cap and we're not. If we signed Krug, I wouldn't want Markstrom. If we signed Markstrom, I wouldn't want Krug. The Wings should come in on a guy like Pietrangelo and drop a huge contract number. Instead of picking up another teams garbage for a pick, why don't we be aggressive and try to land actual good players.

I think it's a really misguided idea to just hold a bunch of money hoping we can take someone else's stupid contract for some kind of payment. Overall low cost move like the one for Staal? Sure. The Wings basically bought a second round pick. But I'd rather get a player who improves the overall level of talent on our roster for 20-21 than just keep bringing in garbage so we can extract mid round picks from teams.

66 points... without
1) Dekeyser returning
2) A healthy Mantha
3) Growth from Zadina
4) A bit of a bounceback from Larkin
5) Improvement from Hronek and/or Cholowski.

There's another 6-8 points .

Do I expect us to suck? Yes.

Lehner just signed at 5x5.
He's gone .930 and .920 the last two years.
He's both younger and better than Markstrom.
I'd say Markstrom's ability to demand more than 4x4.5 is limited.
If you can get him around that, sure, I guess.
Just not sure why a 31 year old goalie decides to end his career with the Red Wings.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Anyone here have an opinion on Vegas netminder MAF?

Since they signed Lehner to a new 5 yr deal - might they want to move Fleury and his 2 year $7 mill aav?

What might Vegas throw in the deal to sweeten it?
I feel like you'd be disappointed. I don't think they're gonna go crazy as they could buy him out and have 2M left on their books for 4 years. Lehner, a 1.5-2M backup, and Fleury's 2M buyout gives them a 9M goalie room, which is completely workable. So they're not really up against it.
One thing to consider is that Vegas does not want to retain any amount of salary on Fleury whatsoever, so a buyout likely isn't coming. Fleury can still play at a 1B level but his salary makes it nigh impossible for any team to take on his salary. This is where Detroit can step in and eat a majority of his salary in a 3-team trade. He might not want to go to Detroit but I'm sure he'll acquiesce to having us pay him lol. In return Detroit could get assets from both teams as we are providing the crucial cap dump to Vegas and providing another team Fleury at a greatly discounted cap hit and salary. Two first round picks (one from each team) for $10M in of Fleury?

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
66 points... without
1) Dekeyser returning
2) A healthy Mantha
3) Growth from Zadina
4) A bit of a bounceback from Larkin
5) Improvement from Hronek and/or Cholowski.

There's another 6-8 points .

Do I expect us to suck? Yes.

Lehner just signed at 5x5.
He's gone .930 and .920 the last two years.
He's both younger and better than Markstrom.
I'd say Markstrom's ability to demand more than 4x4.5 is limited.
If you can get him around that, sure, I guess.
Just not sure why a 31 year old goalie decides to end his career with the Red Wings.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
There is no guarantee this NHL season will be able to get an 82 game schedule in. I believe depending on the draft and free agency as well as improvements offensively and especially on defence we will surprise some of our critics.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
One thing to consider is that Vegas does not want to retain any amount of salary on Fleury whatsoever, so a buyout likely isn't coming. Fleury can still play at a 1B level but his salary makes it nigh impossible for any team to take on his salary. This is where Detroit can step in and eat a majority of his salary in a 3-team trade. He might not want to go to Detroit but I'm sure he'll acquiesce to having us pay him lol. In return Detroit could get assets from both teams as we are providing the crucial cap dump to Vegas and providing another team Fleury at a greatly discounted cap hit and salary. Two first round picks (one from each team) for $10M in of Fleury?
I like where this is going....except that teams can only retain 50% max. Fleury is owed $12.5M salary/2 yrs ($14M cap/2). So the most we could retain is $6.25M/2yrs.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I like where this is going....except that teams can only retain 50% max. Fleury is owed $12.5M salary/2 yrs ($14M cap/2). So the most we could retain is $6.25M/2yrs.
Right, but if the Wings take on salary from the other team in the trade, then that is where assets from both team could be picked up. It would effectively discount Fleury almost entirely, because not many teams could take on that level of salary. Same story with the OEL to Vancouver deals, they need a 3rd team to take on salary because Arizona can't.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Right, but if the Wings take on salary from the other team in the trade, then that is where assets from both team could be picked up. It would effectively discount Fleury almost entirely, because not many teams could take on that level of salary. Same story with the OEL to Vancouver deals, they need a 3rd team to take on salary because Arizona can't.
I'm ready for us to get a piece of the pie now...Ready for Glass + 1st/2nd , then flip MAF (@50%) for cap dump for another 1st.

So Glass + 1st + 1st/2nd for $12.5M salary/$14M cap/2yrs. 2c problem potentially solved.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I'm ready for us to get a piece of the pie now...Ready for Glass + 1st/2nd , then flip MAF (@50%) for cap dump for another 1st.

So Glass + 1st + 1st/2nd for $12.5M salary/$14M cap/2yrs. 2c problem potentially solved.

Here is the pie you get for that offer. No way Vegas is giving up Glass, let alone Glass plus a 1st/2nd.

invisible pie.jpg

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Here is the pie you get for that offer. No way Vegas is giving up Glass, let alone Glass plus a 1st/2nd.

View attachment 370320
Thanks but I just ate a late lunch, maybe later.

You gotta believe, or else it'll never happen. (true about many things in life). It may still never happen, but it's also not out of the realm of possibilities. Krebs + 1st/2nd anymore "realisitic" ?

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020

If a team is willing to give up a 1st for Fleury at half salary, then you won't get a first to take him on. Vegas would instead just trade away Fleury at half salary for a first, then they could use that first for an underpaid goalie like Keumper. What you're essentially saying is that value-wise a team like Vegas would trade Fleury, Glass, and 2 firsts for Fleury at half salary. Fleury can't be both so valuable that he is worth a first at half salary, while also having huge negative value to cost a first and a high end prospect to get rid of.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
If a team is willing to give up a 1st for Fleury at half salary, then you won't get a first to take him on. Vegas would instead just trade away Fleury at half salary for a first, then they could use that first for an underpaid goalie like Keumper. What you're essentially saying is that value-wise a team like Vegas would trade Fleury, Glass, and 2 firsts for Fleury at half salary. Fleury can't be both so valuable that he is worth a first at half salary, while also having huge negative value to cost a first and a high end prospect to get rid of.
People seem to be conflating the value of cap space relief by trading a good player and cap space relief by trading terrible players with massive contracts. These two thing are not the same.

Reactions: Gniwder

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I do agree with this. I don’t think we can play both sides of it. Either way, if we’re taking on Fleury or just some cap as a 3rd party I’d need at least a 1st. Maybe more depending on the specifics.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Fleury's contract is certainly at least a first round pick because its huge and more than 1 year unless they retain part of it.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'll bet the Markstrom camp is just using the Wings the same way Stamkos did 4 years ago. Has absolutely zero interest in coming here, but just wants to make sure he gets as much as possible from the Canucks or whatever other team he actually wants to play for.

Otherwise it makes little sense. I mean we're talking about a goalie who up until this past season barely had better numbers than Jimmy Howard..... Giving him $6M or more for longer than three years is something I'd expect out of a desperate to keep the streak alive Ken Holland.

At this point Yzerman should just do what he did with goalies in Tampa. Carousel some low risk 1B types or cheap vet starters on short term deals until he can find another bargain like he did with Bishop or develop a home grown starter like they did with Vasilevskiy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad