Rumor: Wings going big after Markstrom?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
6 is nothing for a starting goalie. Even if he gets something like 6.5 X 4 or 5 years that wouldn't be that big of a deal as long as he maintains his play. Who the heck else are we going to play? Bernier? His play drops when he plays too many games and we have no one else.

Exactly this.

Markström is free asset and in perfect age.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
6 million, 4 years and at 4 years that is right around the time that this team should be looking for a lock on their core so they can either keep him on at 34 or move on to the next core goalie.

Like was said before if we have actual talent in the net it will give us a real look at the roster and focus on where the problems are. If our net is a black hole there is too much suck to see the forest from the trees.

I wish we were talking Lehner but Markstrom is in the same tier.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yes signing a good free agent goalie is a right decision as it has so many widespread benefits to a rebuilding club

I would do this everyday of the week

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Sounds fishy to me, like they're just trying to drive up the market on Markstrom thinking that he probably wouldn't want to come here, but we'd take him because they think VAN is undervaluing him.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
don’t see the need. we’re gonna be trash for the duration of those 3 years anyways.
Draft Wallstedt next year in a late first.
I don't get this logic, are you going to be writing his check?
We're going to have like 15-20 mill in cap space after signing our RFAs. People on this forum, a gathering of people who LOVE hockey, find this team unwatchable. You think casual Wings fans want to watch this shitty team?
I don't get the adversity to signing a goalie or D man that can help this young team stay away from being demoralized every night.

Guess what? After next season Helm, Filppula and Bernier come off the books freeing up another 9.85 million.

Reactions: Oddbob and NotLeddy

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
4 years at $6 million would be great for him. I don't think he would sign in Detroit for that, but I am all in if he wants to.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I don’t get the people saying, “we’re just gonna suck anyway.”

Yeah. We all get that. But it isn’t going to like flipping a light switch. We aren’t going to be f’ing terrible and then suddenly we’re a cup threat. Markstrom would be a good place holder for the next few rough years and then a decent starter for our transition period where he can mentor our next true starter. Unless you’re drafting Askarov, no one currently in the system or that we’ll will draft this season will be ready to take over in the 4/5 years we can try to get Markstrom for while he’s still useful.

We don’t have to be last place bad every year in a rebuild. God forbid we try for a little progress.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think many people are concerned with the slippery slope of UFA-ing your way up the standings. The average marquee UFA is going to be 29-32 which is an entire hockey generation or two past our core. Too many marquee UFA tie up your cap with term and are declining while plugging a top roster spot when your core window opens while in the short term simultaneously moving you out of the lottery spots needed to get the top 5 talent that opens a window in the first place.

I don't put goalie into the same category though, a great goalie can be a huge development boost by giving the team a focal point where it counts the most. Competent goalies also usually have a pretty good longgevity into their 30's allowing a young core to compete with an older goalie. A goalie is not going to move you up the standings so much you screw your draft but it gives the locker room a platform to stand on making it less painful to be a loosing team.

My two cents on why I am usually against UFA but in favor of this one.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
We need starter for probably the next 5 years. Seems like there is a glut of goalies to patch that hole this offseason.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yzerman states this is a rebuild that will require patience.
Red Wings begin 2019-20 with a horrible roster, with patch jobs at nearly every position.
MBH spends the season continuing to berate Blashill for not winning enough with an all time bad team.
MBH has stated that Yzerman's leash is starting to grow shorter as the team flounders, despite taking swings on buy low boom/bust trade candidates.
Rumor pops up about Yzerman planning on targeting one of the better UFA goalies on the market in the offseason.
MBH is bothered about said rumor, despite expecting the team to start winning.
MBH petitions for a backup caliber goalie who would be otherwise forced into ending his NHL career.

Surely we won't hear about how the bad performance in 2020-21 is the fault of Blashill underachieving and Yzerman not doing enough to improve the team with notable moves... that would be... hypocritical.

You can always determine the person with the weak opinions. Just look for the person who resorts to distorting other people's views.

Your portrayal of my view is dishonest, to say the least.

All we need is Bernier-level goaltending at Bernier-level pricing.
Bernier-level goaltending gets us 66 points - without any other improvements to the team, without a healthy Dekeyser or maybe a full season of Mantha, or with the same amateur-hour coaching.

So a guy like Talbot or whoever gets us to 66-70 points instead of the garbage Howard killed us with last year.

A guy like Cam Talbot is a MASSIVE improvement on what Jimmy Howard provided last year.
Greiss is a MASSIVE improvement on what Jimmy Howard provided last year.
Dell is a MASSIVE improvement on what Jimmy Howard provided last year.

The difference in quality between Howard and ANY of the 3 guys i mentioned is MASSIVE compared to the difference in quality between Markstrom and the 3 guys I mentioned.

There are people here who'd probably love to go out and sign Krug and Markstrom. I can't imagine a worse strategy at this point.
Such futile, costly moves for no good reason.

Now is the time to AVOID stupid UFA contracts. Now is the time to AVOID the overpayments that will be required to bring quality players to Detroit.

Save cap space for cap-dump deals.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
A guy like Cam Talbot is a MASSIVE improvement on what Jimmy Howard provided last year.

None of those guys look MASSIVELY better on last year's Wings. All three played on teams with dramatically better blueline help. One of them played in on one of the best defensive systems in the NHL.

I expect Yzerman to add another blueliner this off-season to make sure it's not so awful. But don't expect miracles from mid-30s journeyman goalies. You'll get a bump, but not MASSIVE.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You can always determine the person with the weak opinions. Just look for the person who resorts to distorting other people's views.

Bernier-level goaltending gets us 66 points - without any other improvements to the team, without a healthy Dekeyser or maybe a full season of Mantha, or with the same amateur-hour coaching.

So a guy like Talbot or whoever gets us to 66-70 points instead of the garbage Howard killed us with last year.

The difference in quality between Howard and ANY of the 3 guys i mentioned is MASSIVE compared to the difference in quality between Markstrom and the 3 guys I mentioned.

There are people here who'd probably love to go out and sign Krug and Markstrom. I can't imagine a worse strategy at this point.

Now is the time to AVOID stupid UFA contracts. Now is the time to AVOID the overpayments that will be required to bring quality players to Detroit.

You have the easiest job on the forum. Take contradicting stances on the team/coaching/management/plan, own none of them, and then spin it as if everyone else is in the wrong for pointing it out.

A Markstrom deal doesn't impact our flexibility to take on cap dumps, we were never going to turn into the land of misfit toys. Now is the time to add UFAs if they can be signed at or below value and try to kick things into gear a little bit; you should know all about that opinion considering you talked all season long about how this team shouldn't accept losing as much as they did.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I don't like this rumor. Feels like Markstrom is going to use it to leverage more money from Vancouver, or another good team. We will just get strung along, and fed the story of how we were in the running right up until the end.

Reactions: 14ari13

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Would Markstrom take less to come here? No. Would Vancouver make it work at 6 million? Yes. He was there MVP... So we are either going to need to offer above market term/salary, if he even considered coming to Detroit... Which to an elite UFA goalie could seem like career suicide. Im fine with another Bernier-ish signing until other parts of our team come together. Our defense is so bad at the moment, it is not an attractive option for any goalie... Of course things change, and who knows how the market will be this off season with teams cutting salary, and who can spend in the open market.

Reactions: Red Stanley and MBH

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
It depends on what the term of the contract would be, and on clauses. If it's three years, no clauses, then I'm fine. However, I'm also tempted to think that Bernier earned a heavier workload of games. So, to me, they could save money right now and sign a backup for Bernier instead. If they did that move, it would still improve the team immensely because Howard was so bad last season. I'm not proposing that we should be serious about Bernier as a starter, but during these transnational rebuild years, it would get us through.

Reactions: MBH and waltdetroit

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You have the easiest job on the forum. Take contradicting stances on the team/coaching/management/plan, own none of them, and then spin it as if everyone else is in the wrong for pointing it out.

A Markstrom deal doesn't impact our flexibility to take on cap dumps, we were never going to turn into the land of misfit toys. Now is the time to add UFAs if they can be signed at or below value and try to kick things into gear a little bit; you should know all about that opinion considering you talked all season long about how this team shouldn't accept losing as much as they did.

More "ad hominem" nonsense.

This has NOTHING to do with the TEAM's PLAN is.
Gregor is a pretty low-level radio host floating a rumor.
He says he's hearing the wings are looking to make a pitch. As far as I know he's got no connections in Detroit and he's more of an Edmonton guy than a Vancouver guy.

So to act like Yzerman and Co have revealed their plan and I'm opposing it? Please.

Frankly, I don't think Yzerman is foolish enough to waste money overpriced UFAs - even if the prices are down a little bit.

I could see him spending the money on real bargains... and there will be LOTS of those ...veterans squeezed out because teams can't afford them.

I was pretty happy with Yzerman's UFA signings last year, even if Filppula didn't really help much. I'm guessing we'll see more of the same, but with an upgrade on Howard in goal.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

He says he's hearing the wings are looking to make a pitch. As far as I know he's got no connections in Detroit and he's more of an Edmonton guy than a Vancouver guy.

So to act like Yzerman and Co have revealed their plan and I'm opposing it? Please.

Frankly, I don't think Yzerman is foolish enough to waste money overpriced UFAs - even if the prices are down a little bit.

I could see him spending the money on real bargains... and there will be LOTS of those ...veterans squeezed out because teams can't afford them.

I was pretty happy with Yzerman's UFA signings last year, even if Filppula didn't really help much. I'm guessing we'll see more of the same, but with an upgrade on Howard in goal.

Are you thenewguysone or something like that? I believe that was the name you used before.

You have not changed much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Konnan511

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

You could argue that Bernier should be the #1 starter for the Wings and get the workhorse amount of starts (I won’t), or you could argue that Bernier shouldn’t be the #1 and we should look to find a better option and pay him what he’s worth (I will), knowing that in a few years, we probably have him signed under value without cap inflation for a beat.

Doing some leg work and looking at other contracts, he’s probably worth right around 6-7% of the cap, which equates to $4.9-5.7 million on the flat cap for next year. So $6 is a tad high for my taste, but I’m not going to shy away from getting people at market value if they have a clear role that they fill.

I don’t think Bernier is a 1A option, and I certainly don’t want to back him up with another guy clinging to their NHL career.

And let me make one thing abundantly clear. Signing garbage players at minimal cost is not considered a bargain, it’s just buying garbage. You are correct that there will be a lot of them, but that doesn’t mean we need to be a landfill. I know it’s not going to be well received, but I don’t have a great deal of interest in taking on large or long term cap dumps if it doesn’t come with a premium asset. If you want me to take marginally over paid players with a few years of term because it gets me a B list prospect or a third round pick...no thanks, you can keep it.

The goal is to do things that have a great chance of making the team decently better, or a decent chance of making the team much better. If we continue to operate as if we are in purgatory, we will never get out of it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

When we are equally atrocious next year because we settled for these free agent scraps instead of guys who could actually make us better (Markstrom/Krug), please don’t make a thread about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad