Rumor: Wings going big after Markstrom?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This makes a lot of sense. Veteran goalie that won't break the bank completely.

I'd do $6 million at 3 years comfortably. More term than that I'd want lower average. I don't feel like he's established he can set a higher price like Lehner has, but Detroit might have to pay premium over other rosters.

He's the guy they should have taken all those years ago. Oh Thomas McCollum. Oof.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No thanks. Don't want Markstrom, and his contract.

6 is nothing for a starting goalie. Even if he gets something like 6.5 X 4 or 5 years that wouldn't be that big of a deal as long as he maintains his play. Who the heck else are we going to play? Bernier? His play drops when he plays too many games and we have no one else.

Reactions: Henkka

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Depending on the price/term I wouldnt hate it. Much rather have Lehner but im not sure what his price tag would end up being or if Vegas even lets him go.

Reactions: 14ari13

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
6 million over 3 years is fine. No one on Detroit is getting paid that much in that time frame that it will matter. But hes a good enough goalie to allow the oyung guys and young dmen coming up to feel like they have someone who can compete back there. He'll be 33 at the end of that contract so at that point they look for their goalie thats gonna be the one they compete with or sign him as another couple year stop gap.

Anymore than 3 years or so gets a little iffy to me but the 6 million mark I have no issues with given Detroits need for a goalie and the cap situation

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
My only concern is that he might be a little too good, and steal a few too many games for us, and cost us worst overall, and so cost us the best chance at first overall.

Oh wait, I'm a Red Wings fan. F*ck, I forgot -- we could finish 50 points behind the second-worst team and still get no better than 4th pick overall. Never mind. Sign anyone you want, Stevie.

Reactions: hkydave04

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Could we afford Markstrom + Krug? Would not mind adding those 2 going into next year. Might make getting f***ed by the lottery stint a little less.

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
don’t see the need. we’re gonna be trash for the duration of those 3 years anyways.
Draft Wallstedt next year in a late first.

The goal is to not be as trash as we were this year and be more competitive. Also, signing a 30 yo goalie will have no affect on drafting an 18 year old in 2021. They will never even be on the same team.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Ideally? 2-3yrs x $4.9M

Realistically quasi-acceptable, $5Mx4yrs....I'd rather do $5Mx3yrs & trade him the last 1yr.

Bidding war raises his value $500-750k+ & 1yr.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad