Rumor: Wings going big after Markstrom?

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Definitely not my first choice at 6 mil unless the term is 3 - 4 years max

Although I realize you have to pay a premium if you’re Detroit and have to use extra time Incentive to come to this tire fire

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
The goal is to not be as trash as we were this year and be more competitive. Also, signing a 30 yo goalie will have no affect on drafting an 18 year old in 2021. They will never even be on the same team.

We’re still going to be a trash team regardless. A starting goalie doesn’t completely solve our problems

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Makes no sense. So we sign him to a 3 year deal which means he’ll be a FA right when we might be competitive again? Makes no sense.

Stand pat (or sign 1 year deals for trade bait) and let us finish last the next few years and get as many picks as possible.

Reactions: 14ari13

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How is 6 million too much for Markstrom? His effect on the Canucks was massive.

It's not the $6 million, it would be the term that's most objectionable at that price. Markstrom has 3 seasons as a starter and only this recent one really represents $6 million dollar play long-term.

Reactions: Winger98

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Makes no sense. So we sign him to a 3 year deal which means he’ll be a FA right when we might be competitive again? Makes no sense.

Stand pat (or sign 1 year deals for trade bait) and let us finish last the next few years and get as many picks as possible.
That is a bridge you cross when you get there. Markstrom is a respectable goalie and an upgrade to Bernier. There is a few nice goalie prospects in the system. If Yzerman signs Markstrom it may be with the mindset one of them is ready for more than a cup of coffee in the big time.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We’re still going to be a trash team regardless. A starting goalie doesn’t completely solve our problems

A league average starting goalie in place of Howard makes this team a lot easier to watch. I've ran the numbers a few times in different posts/threads, but if Howard just played up to league average last year we lop something like 20 goals off our goals against. Howard's GAA drops from 4.2 to 3.3.

Does it make the Wings fighting for the playoffs? No, but they become a whole lot more respectable on most nights. There's a difference between being bad and being historically bad.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
A league average starting goalie in place of Howard makes this team a lot easier to watch. I've ran the numbers a few times in different posts/threads, but if Howard just played up to league average last year we lop something like 20 goals off our goals against. Howard's GAA drops from 4.2 to 3.3.

Does it make the Wings fighting for the playoffs? No, but they become a whole lot more respectable on most nights. There's a difference between being bad and being historically bad.

Goaltending that bad is psychological warfare against your team. It's hard for them to play comfortable and push the play when it feels like everything you turn over goes into the net.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Goaltending that bad is psychological warfare against your team. It's hard for them to play comfortable and push the play when it feels like everything you turn over goes into the net.

I could swear there were nights where the wings visibly shrunk when Howard gave up the first goal. They just knew they weren't going to be in it that night.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Expansion is going to keep shaking free goalies. We don't have to be too hungry for anything right away, either.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Doubt this is anything other than Stevie trying to manipulate the goalie markets across the league. Scare VAN/CAL/Vegas and others into ponying up and force deals at the draft.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I wouldn't mind a big contract for Markstrom.

We need stability back there to develop our young D and prospect goalies in the right way.

Cap space is not much of an issue for us either. I think a 5 year contract for Markstrom would be great. I would go above 6 million easy.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Given the $ on Howard’s last two contracts, I’d be okay if Yzerman spent $6-$6.5M on Markstrom. If we aren’t making big free agent splashes anyways, we might as well sign someone to make the team a little more palatable for the short term.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Just take a decent veteran happy to keep his career going.
Greiss. Talbot. Dell.

Yzerman states this is a rebuild that will require patience.
Red Wings begin 2019-20 with a horrible roster, with patch jobs at nearly every position.
MBH spends the season continuing to berate Blashill for not winning enough with an all time bad team.
MBH has stated that Yzerman's leash is starting to grow shorter as the team flounders, despite taking swings on buy low boom/bust trade candidates.
Rumor pops up about Yzerman planning on targeting one of the better UFA goalies on the market in the offseason.
MBH is bothered about said rumor, despite expecting the team to start winning.
MBH petitions for a backup caliber goalie who would be otherwise forced into ending his NHL career.

Surely we won't hear about how the bad performance in 2020-21 is the fault of Blashill underachieving and Yzerman not doing enough to improve the team with notable moves... that would be... hypocritical.

Reactions: Crunchy

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am not a big fan of UFA signings when the team has this many holes. UFA cause long term age and cap issues. But no matter how bad the roster is the players deserve stability in net. The only way bad goaltending can be mitigated is by an all star roster. You have bad goaltending on a bad roster and every season is a guaranteed dumpster fire and that must be excruciating for the players.

Plus goalies can still play good hockey well into their 30's unlike a lot of other positions. It's the one position I am okay spending on a 30 year old.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just take a decent veteran happy to keep his career going.
Greiss. Talbot. Dell.

Why are you looking at free agency like it's 2012?

We are an awful team and have some $$ to burn. We don't have to resort to free agent scraps like we did when we were contenders and had a million good players up for extensions. Not sure how you can be so passionate about this team getting better but then disregard guys like Markstrom and Krug.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yep. And at some point we need a fair evaluation of the players we have. Everybody likes to point out that a Krug or a Pietrangelo would see their production drop if placed on this roster. Well, I don't disagree, but a big reason why is the lousy goaltending. So maybe we make reasonable and prudent moves here and there to plug a couple holes - say in net and on the blue line - and then we can see what the kids can do when they're in an atmosphere at least marginally better than flaming garbage juice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad