Rumor: Wings going big after Markstrom?

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
The only reason I want Markstrom is to flip him at the trade deadline or in the next off season. But then I wake up because this isn't NHL 20 where you can just blindly trade players.

Do we really need him? Bernier will do just fine

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
gregors speculating for hits as NOTHING gets out from yzermans ' red council ' , theyre all 100% loyal to the captain
This has nothing to do loyalty - media "insiders" serve as mouthpieces that teams can use to disseminate information. Perhaps Detroit wants Markstrom not to re-sign in Vancouver. Telling Markstrom and his agent directly that they are planning to offer him a large deal if he gets to free agency? Tampering. Leaking it through the media? Legal.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This has nothing to do loyalty - media "insiders" serve as mouthpieces that teams can use to disseminate information. Perhaps Detroit wants Markstrom not to re-sign in Vancouver. Telling Markstrom and his agent directly that they are planning to offer him a large deal if he gets to free agency? Tampering. Leaking it through the media? Legal.

could also be coming from markstrom's side trying to push vancouver into a bigger offer or a third party just trying to gum up the works for the nucks. A lot of different possibilities.

Reactions: 14ari13

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You could argue that Bernier should be the #1 starter for the Wings and get the workhorse amount of starts (I won’t), or you could argue that Bernier shouldn’t be the #1 and we should look to find a better option and pay him what he’s worth (I will), knowing that in a few years, we probably have him signed under value without cap inflation for a beat.

Doing some leg work and looking at other contracts, he’s probably worth right around 6-7% of the cap, which equates to $4.9-5.7 million on the flat cap for next year. So $6 is a tad high for my taste, but I’m not going to shy away from getting people at market value if they have a clear role that they fill.

I don’t think Bernier is a 1A option, and I certainly don’t want to back him up with another guy clinging to their NHL career.

And let me make one thing abundantly clear. Signing garbage players at minimal cost is not considered a bargain, it’s just buying garbage. You are correct that there will be a lot of them, but that doesn’t mean we need to be a landfill. I know it’s not going to be well received, but I don’t have a great deal of interest in taking on large or long term cap dumps if it doesn’t come with a premium asset. If you want me to take marginally over paid players with a few years of term because it gets me a B list prospect or a third round pick...no thanks, you can keep it.

The goal is to do things that have a great chance of making the team decently better, or a decent chance of making the team much better. If we continue to operate as if we are in purgatory, we will never get out of it.

Markstrom doesn't take us anywhere near out of purgatory.
If he did, I'd understand it.

Last year Bernier improved with more play (his improvement started the season before as Howard faltered).
Bernier went .907.
That's not great. But
Markstrom was .909 for his career before going .918 in his UFA season. And considering what Bernier played behind? .907 is just fine.

By the way, last year:
QUick was .904
Anderson was .902
Bobrovsky was .900
Murray was .899
Jones was .896
Holtby was .897
Rinne was .895

Those are a few of the goalies behind Bernier.

Teams desperate to win are going to be need help. They might trade off that guy with 1 year left on his bad contract. And that's who we should target.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Last year Bernier improved with more play (his improvement started the season before as Howard faltered).
Bernier went .907.
That's not great. But
Markstrom was .909 for his career before going .918 in his UFA season. And considering what Bernier played behind? .907 is just fine.

By the way, last year:
QUick was .904
Anderson was .902
Bobrovsky was .900
Murray was .899
Jones was .896
Holtby was .897
Rinne was .895

Teams desperate to win are going to be need help. They might trade off that guy with 1 year left on his bad contract. And that's who we should target.

You pretend like Markstrom has been a flash in the pan this year. His career .909 includes some very bad performances in Florida. When he became a 1B and eventually 1A starter for Vancover, his stats improved markedly. You would be investing in the .915-ish Markstrom thinking that the .918 indicates what you can bank on if you layer in defense in front of him like a Seider, like a hypothetical Sanderson. Not the .873 from when he was 6 years younger playing for a horrible franchise.

We are entering the last year of Bernier's deal, he will be 33 shortly after it ends. You will not have a functional goalie in the entire organization. It's not exactly a crazy thought to bring in Markstrom, expect more from him than Bernier, and when the season is over, Bernier is allowed to walk.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
dont care what anybody thinks i dont believe yzerman's ''red council'' leaks ONE word out , its not the way yzerman thinks !
but concerning a big ufa signing , cap hit and term arent the biggest factors . the biggest factor is trade clause because if we can move a big ufa say near the end of his second year for a good pick it becomes a free way to add a good asset . so i dont care if we over pay as long as hes not given a ' kenny special ' full no trade clause .

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Bernier went .907.
That's not great. But

By the way, last year:
QUick was .904
Anderson was .902
Bobrovsky was .900
Murray was .899
Jones was .896
Holtby was .897
Rinne was .895

Last 5 years Markstrom has gone .915, .910, .912, .912, .918

What are you talking about?

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looking at the last 3 years combined (2017-2020), Markstrom is at a SV% of .914

If you remove goalies that have played less than 100 games, that is good for 16th best in the league. Ahead of guys like Greiss, Dubnyk, Price, Murray, Holtby, Mrazek.

If you bump it back and look at 5 years combined (2015-2020), he is still at a SV% of .914.

If you exclude guys with under 200 games played, he sits at 14th best in the league. He actually has the same save % as Carey Price over that stretch.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
dont care what anybody thinks i dont believe yzerman's ''red council'' leaks ONE word out , its not the way yzerman thinks !
but concerning a big ufa signing , cap hit and term arent the biggest factors . the biggest factor is trade clause because if we can move a big ufa say near the end of his second year for a good pick it becomes a free way to add a good asset . so i dont care if we over pay as long as hes not given a ' kenny special ' full no trade clause .

Kenny didn't give full NTCs for last years on the contract.

There was always modified years in the end.

Clear logic, if the team is bad, there's an option for a player to get traded to contender.

Yzerman has given more full NTCs for Tampa players than Holland did give for Detroit players.

Current Holland-made contracts in the team.

DeKeyser contract
1st year, no NTC (can't get that as RFA)
2nd year, NTC
3rd year, NTC
4th year, NTC
5th year (season 2020-21) modified NTC (can block 10 teams)
6th year, modified NTC

Abdelkader full NTC years are also gone, his modified clause won't even exist anymore, because of "missing the playoffs" - clause.

Helm was structured same way.
"Helm's No Trade Clause for the 2019-20 & 2020-21 season was voided as a result of the club not making the playoffs in the 2018-19 season."

Yzerman-given contracts
Filppula
1st year, NTC
2nd year, modified NTC (can block 8 teams)

Same model, that contract is just an asset built for a trade.

Last edited:

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Markstrom is out of the scuttlebutt but welcome Andy Greene, I guess?

Friedman reported on his podcast that Detroit likes Greene and Markstrom. There is another report saying Markstrom won’t go a rebuilding team. My hunch is Detroit gets a meeting with Markstrom should he hit the market, if only because we can pay him. Whether that’s enough remains to be seen.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just sharing some information I saw posted elsewhere but According TSN’s Mat Sekeres, Jacob Markstrom is not interested in participating in a rebuild.

Sekeres & Price: October 2, 2020 Hour 1

Yep.

Weird that:

Markström not signing with Edmonton or Detroit. Sekeres didnt really mention why but he said something along the lines of he doesnt want to sign with a rebuild or a "B" market team.

Sekeres then says Markstrom will have interest in signing in Calgary, Colorado and he has even heard Toronto.

Top priority is still to re-sign in Vancouver

What is this "B" market team, which Oilers is, but Flames aren't ?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Ottawa is alleged to be high on Askarov at 5. How much of a better position will the Wings be in with Markstrom? Is there a way to exploit Ottawa into taking Askarov at 3 if Yzerman rolls with Bernier? Doubt it but I want to believe.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You can always determine the person with the weak opinions. Just look for the person who resorts to distorting other people's views.

Your portrayal of my view is dishonest, to say the least.

All we need is Bernier-level goaltending at Bernier-level pricing.
Bernier-level goaltending gets us 66 points - without any other improvements to the team, without a healthy Dekeyser or maybe a full season of Mantha, or with the same amateur-hour coaching.

So a guy like Talbot or whoever gets us to 66-70 points instead of the garbage Howard killed us with last year.

A guy like Cam Talbot is a MASSIVE improvement on what Jimmy Howard provided last year.
Greiss is a MASSIVE improvement on what Jimmy Howard provided last year.
Dell is a MASSIVE improvement on what Jimmy Howard provided last year.

The difference in quality between Howard and ANY of the 3 guys i mentioned is MASSIVE compared to the difference in quality between Markstrom and the 3 guys I mentioned.

There are people here who'd probably love to go out and sign Krug and Markstrom. I can't imagine a worse strategy at this point.
Such futile, costly moves for no good reason.

Now is the time to AVOID stupid UFA contracts. Now is the time to AVOID the overpayments that will be required to bring quality players to Detroit.

Save cap space for cap-dump deals.

I'm glad that 66 points is our target for what we want. I'm not sure if you understand... but 66 points is still f***ing terrible... like that's not a goal you should be aiming at.

Are you sure those guys are a massive improvement given that they'll be playing behind a defense that has the following defensive stalwarts playing big roles?

Alex Biega
Filip Hronek (defensively, he's a wreck still)
Madison Bowey
Marc Staal

Also, no... now (COVID-19 offseason) is the time to go after the bigger FAs (not necessarily Krug and Markstrom). Because we have oodles of space and the teams that want to re-sign these guys or the common teams that would be going after them are hampered by the flat cap and we're not. If we signed Krug, I wouldn't want Markstrom. If we signed Markstrom, I wouldn't want Krug. The Wings should come in on a guy like Pietrangelo and drop a huge contract number. Instead of picking up another teams garbage for a pick, why don't we be aggressive and try to land actual good players.

I think it's a really misguided idea to just hold a bunch of money hoping we can take someone else's stupid contract for some kind of payment. Overall low cost move like the one for Staal? Sure. The Wings basically bought a second round pick. But I'd rather get a player who improves the overall level of talent on our roster for 20-21 than just keep bringing in garbage so we can extract mid round picks from teams.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Anyone here have an opinion on Vegas netminder MAF?

Since they signed Lehner to a new 5 yr deal - might they want to move Fleury and his 2 year $7 mill aav?

What might Vegas throw in the deal to sweeten it?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Anyone here have an opinion on Vegas netminder MAF?

Since they signed Lehner to a new 5 yr deal - might they want to move Fleury and his 2 year $7 mill aav?

What might Vegas throw in the deal to sweeten it?

I feel like you'd be disappointed. I don't think they're gonna go crazy as they could buy him out and have 2M left on their books for 4 years. Lehner, a 1.5-2M backup, and Fleury's 2M buyout gives them a 9M goalie room, which is completely workable. So they're not really up against it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad