wings defense

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
What's going on with Quincey? He was inconsistent in Colorado but definitely had his moments of being pretty effective on both sides of the puck (and bad at times). But certainly never this outright awful.

I can't answer that. I am baffled as well. We thought give Quincey a chance to get back into the system again and he'd be golden... But it's gotten so bad now... I think he's literally been on the ice for every goal, if not almost every goal against this season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I can't answer that. I am baffled as well. We thought give Quincey a chance to get back into the system again and he'd be golden... But it's gotten so bad now... I think he's literally been on the ice for every goal, if not almost every goal against this season.

His confidence is gone now. He is clearly thinking entirely too much out there.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

On the ice for 3 of the 6 GA against St Louis
On the ice for 1 of the 3 GA against Columbus
On the ice for 2 of the 2 GA against Dallas

So yeah: 6 of the 11 goals against. He's not a good defenseman.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

according to his stats, he should be an acceptable defenseman. I think the pairing of smith-quincey has made BOTH players worse. Maybe we need 3 solid puck moving offensive D-men. And 3 hard core safe Defensive D-men and pair them together.

P.S. I think Stuart was really good, and totally underappreciated (no points so no flashy resume, but he was great)
Lidstrom leaving is like Ottawa losing Erik Karlsson right now. Its more than a big deal.

Lidstrom was the best Defensive/Offensive mix. Stuart was a big Defensive D. Now we only have Ericsson, and trying to play on the team Lashoff and Huskins.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
according to his stats, he should be an acceptable defenseman. I think the pairing of smith-quincey has made BOTH players worse. Maybe we need 3 solid puck moving offensive D-men. And 3 hard core safe Defensive D-men and pair them together.

I think this is the key. Need a hard core stay at home D man to play with Smith and with Q. Those 2 playing together makes no sense to me.

HTT3*

On the ice for 3 of the 6 GA against St Louis
On the ice for 1 of the 3 GA against Columbus
On the ice for 2 of the 2 GA against Dallas

So yeah: 6 of the 11 goals against. He's not a good defenseman.

Except most of those goals were not a direct result of his doing. Aside from the Blues game (because the entire team sucked, including Howard, Datsyuk and Zetterberg...) Smith was a direct result of the CBJs goal and Smith was screening Howard on the Dallas goal.

Try watching a game sometime, you'll realize baseless stats are... well, baseless.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Except most of those goals were not a direct result of his doing. Aside from the Blues game (because the entire team sucked, including Howard, Datsyuk and Zetterberg...) Smith was a direct result of the CBJs goal and Smith was screening Howard on the Dallas goal.

Try watching a game sometime, you'll realize baseless stats are... well, baseless.

It seems to be more a case of Quincey "not doing" that is creating chances and goals for the opposition, as in not doing much in the way of playing defense. If the tenacity you've shown in your anti-Smith campaign could somehow be injected into Q as a d-man, he'd win 14 Norris trophies in a row (and probably a Hart or 2, as well).

Smith may have screened Howard somewhat on Ryder's first goal (I think he was just trying to get in the shooting lane to disrupt the shot), but it really shouldn't have mattered if Q hadn't let Ryder walk off the wall right past him thru the slot and get the shot off.

For the record, I think fabricoh knows the sport and his comments lead me to think that he does in fact watch Wings games... is it just a case where anyone not agreeing with you (the majority in the case of Q) must not be watching?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think this is the key. Need a hard core stay at home D man to play with Smith and with Q. Those 2 playing together makes no sense to me.

I agree 100%. They are too similar to play together. They both like to roam and pinch a ton. Babs should have figured this out by now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Smith may have screened Howard somewhat on Ryder's first goal (I think he was just trying to get in the shooting lane to disrupt the shot), but it really shouldn't have mattered if Q hadn't let Ryder walk off the wall right past him thru the slot and get the shot off.

He actually walks past Smith and not really walks past Smith forces him high into a hand off, but Ryder does a good job of fending off Smith. He does what he is supposed to do and forces him into the middle and his d-partner to close out. Quincey is there and does not disrupt the shot enough, Smith falls into recovery after making the hand off to a Quincey stepping out. He gets in Howards way a little but he needs to collapse back after Quincey steps back up. Lost in all this is the fact Ryder is a 30 goal scorer with a terrific release. He made very good play and it won't be his last of the season.

I have been upset with both Smith and Quinceys gap control and understanding but this particular play isn't one of them. Ryder made a nice play and was strong on the puck. He got the release just barely away from a reaching Quincey. These things will happen they just both didn't slide very well and understand each other a guy like Ryder only needs a split second.

The bigger problem I have is the inability to link up in their own end and make easy clearances. The lack of understanding on who should be where and what they are doing. These things do take time, but they don't communicate very well in my opinion. Quincey is not a leader of a pair and he certainly isn't going to listen to what Smith a rookie wants him to do. It puts them both in a very tough position, they need to talk more because they are embarrassing themselves. They both look bad because they cannot get on the same page.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
What will it take for Babs to move Q to the third pairing (healthy scratch would be even better)? Smith should be with Huskins.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Oh I've watched every single game. Check the game threads if you want to see my take on the action as it unfolds. Q has a team worst -4. Over an 82 game season that would be -109 for a full season. He has the most PIMs among our d-men. Same amount as Kronwall only Kronner has the difficult task of replacing Nick freaking Lidstrom.

So yeah...plenty of data to show Q is not good. Please offer up your in depth analysis that shows this is not so. Cause I totally want to you to convince me! :D

HTT3*

Q has a team worst -4. Over an 82 game season that would be -109 for a full season.

Oh great, stats!

Jimmy Howard is on pace to giving up over 300 goals over the course of 82 games. When was the last time an NHL goalie gave up 300 goals in one season?

Stats are fun and tell the entire story! :handclap:

Zetterberg is on pace to scoring 0 goals through the couse of 82 game season. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 6, 2012
Oh great, stats!

Jimmy Howard is on pace to giving up over 300 goals over the course of 82 games. When was the last time an NHL goalie gave up 300 goals in once season?

Zetterberg is on pace to scoring 0 goals through the couse of 82 game season. Lol

The funny thing is your right. The stats don't even begin to tell how awful Quincey has played.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Oh great, stats!

Jimmy Howard is on pace to giving up over 300 goals over the course of 82 games. When was the last time an NHL goalie gave up 300 goals in one season?

Please do a little better to convince me Kyle Quincey is a good defenseman. You are completely failing up to now.

Thanks!!!!! :D

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
On a positive note....

Kronwall has the best +/- on the team right now (+3) and has logged the most minutes on the team (about 25 per game). That's pretty darn good considering how bad we have been outplayed the first few games.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
On a positive note....

Kronwall has the best +/- on the team right now (+3) and has logged the most minutes on the team (about 25 per game). That's pretty darn good considering how bad we have been outplayed the first few games.

If we lose him to injury we are fugged. Seriously.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Oh great, stats!

Just for fun! Niklas Kronwall

On the ice for 2 GA out of 6 against the Blues. PK'ing on both goals.
On the ice for 2 GA out of 3 againt the BJs. PK'ing on both goals.
On the ice for 0 GA out of 2 against the Stars.

So he's been on the ice for 4 goals out of 11 but absolutely none at even strength. Will you admit Kronwall is a good EVS defenseman or do you have stats or personal experience that suggests otherwise? :shakehead

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Oh I've watched every single game. Check the game threads if you want to see my take on the action as it unfolds. Q has a team worst -4. Over an 82 game season that would be -109 for a full season.
You can't prorate plus/minus.

Aug 6, 2012
Kronwall is doing absolutely great considering his partner, but he needs to do better on the special teams.

Kronwall - White
Smith - Ericsson
Lashoff - Huskins

I'd love to see these pairings once White is back.

HTT3*

Please do a little better to convince me Kyle Quincey is a good defenseman. You are completely failing up to now.

Thanks!!!!! :D

Go ahead, it is easier blaming one guy for all the DRWs troubles. To start with, Wings can't score... 4 goals in 3 games?

And, to top it off, the other team's goalies are out playing our goalie. Especially in the Dallas game.

And to me Smith looks like he needs more time in the AHL, he's almost 24 and still can't hang in the NHL. Lashoff on the other hand and has outplayed Smith at the ripe young age of 22...

Quick, blame Quincey. Howard sucks, $15 million 1st line can't score, Babcock looks clueless, but lets blame the guy that was brought here while the rest of the team stinks up the ice...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad