wings defense

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your opinion on a trade proposal I was thinking about. Since you guys are having trouble on D and the Devils needing one or two more forwards I was thinking about something like this.

Tallinder for Filppula

Both have similar cap hits with Tallinder having an extra year so maybe a draft pick or a prospect can be tacked on with Filppula. Or maybe we can tack on another player or draft pick since Valteri hit 66 points last year.

How much stock do you guys think Valteri has? Is he untouchable on your team? I havent watched a lot of Red Wings games last season to answers these questions.

Thanks. :)

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Though I don't think Flip has a ton of trade value as a UFA rental, I think Tallinder has even less trade value.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your opinion on a trade proposal I was thinking about. Since you guys are having trouble on D and the Devils needing one or two more forwards I was thinking about something like this.

Tallinder for Filppula

Both have similar cap hits with Tallinder having an extra year so maybe a draft pick or a prospect can be tacked on with Filppula. Or maybe we can tack on another player or draft pick since Valteri hit 66 points last year.

How much stock do you guys think Valteri brings? Is he untouchable on your team? I havent watched a lot of Red Wings games last season to answers those questions.

We need defensemen, and desperately. But that would be a BAD trade for us.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Tallinder isnt anything special but he brings a solid consistent game to the table and he is a good mentor for young defenseman. All of the Devils 8 defensemen are really good and consistent but not anything special. That is the problem we have, we cannot keep sitting down two starters every night although it is good to have that depth. Its an interesting situation especially when we can use a forward.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
A lot of us would love to trade Volch but Lou gave him a NTC so he will be hard to move. I honestly would love to keep Tallinder instead, I like his game. He is a great transitional defenseman, very strong skater, and makes a lot of good stretch passes. But IMO he is the odd man out and Lou is showcasing him right now. Larsson is being healthy scratched and I cannot see that lasting long.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Hey guys,

Tallinder for Filppula

How much stock do you guys think Valteri has? Is he untouchable on your team? I havent watched a lot of Red Wings games last season to answers these questions.

honestly we like Valteri Filppula, likely not going to trade him. (we value him at the 66 pts for a good 2nd liner, as opposed to his previous 40 pts worth 3rd to 2nd liner)

But if you have 8 "NHL" defensemen, none that are really any good. We would honestly trade for any one of them. Because we just played an AHL guy 18 minutes tonight, and he was our 2nd best D man on the team. Our board is losing it on the regular guys, and we adding up injuries FAST!

We would likely be willing to move Miller/Eaves/Bertuzzi/Cleary/Samuelson/Emmerton/Mursak/ to try and get your "least" valuable d-man

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
honestly we like Valteri Filppula, likely not going to trade him. (we value him at the 66 pts for a good 2nd liner, as opposed to his previous 40 pts worth 3rd to 2nd liner)

But if you have 8 "NHL" defensemen, none that are really any good. We would honestly trade for any one of them. Because we just played an AHL guy 18 minutes tonight, and he was our 2nd best D man on the team. Our board is losing it on the regular guys, and we adding up injuries FAST!

We would likely be willing to move Miller/Eaves/Bertuzzi/Cleary/Samuelson/Emmerton/Mursak/ to try and get your "least" valuable d-man
Our defense is funny, we really have no big names but they all work great together. They managed to be 8th best last year in GA and were huge in the cup run. If you guys are being bogged down in your own zone too much and need better transitional play, Tallinder and Harrold are the guys you want. Harrold has almost no trade value so I cant see that happening. Greene would also help you out in that department but I dont think Lou would move him unless some good pieces are going his way. If you need a stay at home guy than Volch is your man but once again that NTC will make it tough. Salvador Larsson Zidlicky and Fayne are untouchable IMO. Helm was another guy mentioned on our boards a lot but I think you guys would want to keep him.

Thanks for the feedback guys, just wanted to get some opinions.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Lashoff being good isn't a surprice, because the guy is in full game shape.

It's not fair to compare him to the other guys just adjusting to the start of new season. Give some time for the others.

Of course, there's nothing bad we have Lashoff there. It's just good that we have a possibility to use guys in game shape.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
quincey is garbage

he was garbage when we let him walk years ago
he was garbage when colorado and then tampa said "eww yuck he is disgusting, no thanks"
he was garbage for us after the deadline and through the playoffs
and he has been garbage for us this year

he isnt very good, never has been, never will be

buy him out just like redden and gomez, sign vandermeer, keep lashoff up for a while and trade for someone to play in our top 4

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
quincey is garbage

he was garbage when we let him walk years ago

He really wasn't garbage them.

he was garbage when colorado and then tampa said "eww yuck he is disgusting, no thanks"

I think you mean Kings and Colorado? he had nothing to with the Lightning.

he was garbage for us after the deadline and through the playoffs
and he has been garbage for us this year

Yeah, seems like that.

he isnt very good, never has been, never will be

He has never had a good chance to adjust. You just have to give some time to him. He doesn't understand yet his new role as a defensive D, that leads to misunderstanding with Smith, when both are pinching up. That takes time, maybe it's better to split that pair up, and put him with White and use that AHL-chemistry between Lashoff and Smith on other pair.

buy him out just like redden and gomez, sign vandermeer, keep lashoff up for a while and trade for someone to play in our top 4

The buyout period for this season is gone. That had to happen before the season start. Let's look again at next summer, if he sucks the all season.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
He really wasn't garbage them.

I think you mean Kings and Colorado? he had nothing to with the Lightning.

Yeah, seems like that.

He has never had a good chance to adjust. You just have to give some time to him. He doesn't understand yet his new role as a defensive D, that leads to misunderstanding with Smith, when both are pinching up. That takes time, maybe it's better to split that pair up, and put him with White and use that AHL-chemistry between Lashoff and Smith on other pair.

The buyout period for this season is gone. That had to happen before the season start. Let's look again at next summer, if he sucks the all season.

please dont use logic like this when I simply dislike a player and feel the move to acquire him was backwards and feel vindicated each and every time he steps on the ice since we brought him back...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Now I've seen the first comments from Minnesota fans about Ryan Suter, that it was a total mistake to acquire him with a 7.5 million caphit.

Maybe they should also give some time to him to adjust, but looks like he has the potential to be the next "Bouwmeester". Good defenceman doing his important job in the shadows, but just too pricey.

No flashy guy and ot's very probable that people at Minnesota will start hating his cap-figure for sure. If not now, I guarantee that happens at next summer, when the cap goes down and if he isn't even near worth of his money.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'd put up with a terrible season if in a couple years our defense looked like this:

Kronwall-Jones
Ouellet-Sproul
Smith-Ericsson
Jensen
Backman

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Now I've seen the first comments from Minnesota fans about Ryan Suter, that it was a total mistake to acquire him with a 7.5 million caphit.

Maybe they should also give some time to him to adjust, but looks like he has the potential to be the next "Bouwmeester". Good defenceman doing his important job in the shadows, but just too pricey.

No flashy guy and ot's very probable that people at Minnesota will start hating his cap-figure for sure. If not now, I guarantee that happens at next summer, when the cap goes down and if he isn't even near worth of his money.

It's been three games. He had long offseason enjoying his money.

But compared to the rest of the Wild, he hasn't shined that's for sure. He's been steady anyway.

Parise looks awesome though but imo he's play is more likely to drop over time.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
You know, we are only a couple of injuries on the blueline away from 2 momentous things happening:

1. Kindl goes from healthy scratch to undisputed #1 defenseman on the roster... makes you wonder if he's not somehow behind this rash of freak injuries.

2. Babcock pulls a Bowman and tabs Sammy to pull off a much slower, significantly less gifted offensively AND defensively, RH version of Fedorov moving back to the blueline. We can all see that happening, right? One of his all-time favorite guys, RH to boot, and a severe lack of depth on defense? Sammy getting injured is the only reason it hasn't happened yet. ;)

Not sure which of those things I'm more excited about, but either or both goes down and I'm ordering a Seth Jones jersey.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
What's going on with Quincey? He was inconsistent in Colorado but definitely had his moments of being pretty effective on both sides of the puck (and bad at times). But certainly never this outright awful.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Quincey even looks like he's down and out. Looks like a lost soul out there. Somethings gotta change and quick. This guy is a disaster so far.

VampOfVegas

Jun 8, 2009
So out of all the D.. KQ is the only one who doesnt get hurt? Im waiting for KQ to high stick Brunner and have him out for the rest of the year.. just something over the top stupid. At this points we cant jinx our team. We've already been hexed.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
i know that its only one game and ite really early to panic but in my opinion we need a top defense for help brandan smith , smith have a very good future but need to be with a top defense

what is the solution :

offer to pk subban ??
trade for bogosian ??

kronwall--ericsson
smith-- ???
quincey-- white
cola

Why not just let this whateveryouwanttocallit season slip and get a high pick finally?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
This D will have problems against Minnesota.. Howard must be great for us to win, I think.

Granlund's vision and creativity is going to cause trouble as well as Parise's forecheck. He just killed Philadelphia at last years playoffs with that.. Common theme was that Flyers had no RH D on their roster except Kubina who was out iirc. Pressure them on the off wing, cause a giveaway and profit.

They haven't scored too much the last two games, but especially the first line has been dynamic and they have been getting their chances.

Well, we'll see.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This D will have problems against Minnesota.. Howard must be great for us to win, I think.

Granlund's vision and creativity is going to cause trouble as well as Parise's forecheck. He just killed Philadelphia at last years playoffs with that.. Common theme was that Flyers had no RH D on their roster except Kubina who was out iirc. Pressure them on the off wing, cause a giveaway and profit.

They haven't scored too much the last two games, but especially the first line has been dynamic and they have been getting their chances.

Well, we'll see.

Imo, Dallas was clearly better team when I watched their game against Minnesota (even thoug they lost 0-1, Harding was just as phenomenal). Our defeat wasn't a surprice for me, but I think we have better chanches to win the Wild than we had against the Stars.

Granlund isn't showing anything special there, so they are still basicly a 1-line team. Also Suter has started getting critic.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Granlund isn't showing anything special there, so they are still basicly a 1-line team. Also Suter has started getting critic.

I have to agree. Minnesota hasn't impressed me as much as I thought they would this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad