wings defense

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
We need to do something in the realm of offer sheeting a guy like Subban. It's only one game but I cant recall the defense looking so helpless.

I got slammed around here last year for saying this. But Quincey is painful to watch. Everybody looked bad last night, but man.. Maybe I just have something against him but I can't stand the guy.

I generally agree. Quincy is a nice guy, I suspect, but he would not be a top 4 defenseman on a contending team.

HTT3*

Pens fan coming in peace.

Can't speak for the other guys but Orpik is not likely to be available and it would cost more to get him than you might think. Legitimate 1st pairing D with his style of game don't grow on trees, and short of a prospect who has no experience yet, we don't have any other D who fit his mold. Anyway Penguins are going to be buyers all the way this year, not sellers. I doubt if you could get Scuds from LA either. Not much reason to trade a guy like that, in their situation.

Will be interested to see how Holland and Babcock react to yesterday. Only one game but was surprising the way it went. You guys know your team a lot better than I do but if you guys end up struggling / in rebuild mode I can't see Holland doing it the "build through young prospects" road. He's going to go out and be a big player on the FA market this summer. You guys always find a way to be competitive.

What's the status of Simon Despres? He's the guy I was hoping Holland was going to take in the first round... then we traded down to get Landon Ferraro and Andrej Nestrasil.

Still boggles my mind why he didn't take Despres. Pens have lots of good dmen.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Swap one of the umpteenth bottom 6ers for a defensive defenseman like Volchenkov or Tallinder and we'll be just fine. That slides everyone else down.

Kronwall-Ericsson
Smith-Tallinder/Volch
CC/Kindl/White/Q

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
We need to do something in the realm of offer sheeting a guy like Subban.

This was possible before the Gomez buyout. Montreal now has $11m in cap space for next season.

Had the Wings offer sheeted Subban for $5.25/5 (or anything more than $4.5m/2) before the Gomez buyout, Montreal would not have been able to match it due to tagging rules; it would have put them over the cap for next year's roster.

Now? Not possible. Montreal would simply match the offer. When you get over ~$6.7m, compensation increases to 2x1st+2nd+3rd. Montreal might be willing to take that package. After ~$8.4m, it's 4 1sts, which Montreal should take for two reasons. First, they get four extra first round choices to help build their young club. Second, they're not paying a good defenseman superstar-level wages just because someone else was having trouble finding a defenseman. Markov, Gorges, Kaberle, and Emelin can more than hold down the fort if they replace Subban were someone to offer that kind of money. And they have top defense prospects like Tinordi coming up.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
What's the status of Simon Despres? He's the guy I was hoping Holland was going to take in the first round... then we traded down to get Landon Ferraro and Andrej Nestrasil.

I heard he's being traded for Datsyuk. Jk, but I don't think we could get him for a fair value.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Or just take ROR.. I like hindsights.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I can't see Holland doing an offer sheet-for anybody-ever.

Unfortunately...this. It's not a criticism. That's their policy. Down the line it could happen to us (imagine someone screwing the Wings for Jarnkrok, Smith, Ouellet, etc.). It sets a precendent.

However, if a trade can be done...

Actual Thought*

I think the Wings are too far from having a competitive roster. Holland can't make enough moves this year to compete for the cup. I think we will be sellers in just a couple of weeks.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
I think the Wings are too far from having a competitive roster. Holland can't make enough moves this year to compete for the cup. I think we will be sellers in just a couple of weeks.

first step would be a trade at all. and i dont talk about expendable player. waiting for that for years now.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
we dont even hit the cap even when we aer signing 2 more player and kick two other out. but holland will never trade again. so salary cap is irrelevant now for the wings.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
we dont even hit the cap even when we aer signing 2 more player and kick two other out. but holland will never trade again. so salary cap is irrelevant now for the wings.

Yeah. But suppose we spend to the cap this year, and then the cap goes down. Will you blame Holland for the cap going down too?

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Pick up Vandermeer on waivers...

Kronwall-Ericsson
Smith-Lashoff
Vandermeer-White

I think it's inevitable at this point. Just switch Smith and Ericsson. I'm not comfortable with two rookies on the same pairing.

Or even Mike Commodore? Someone hit him up on Twitter and ask! :laugh:

Sheldon Keefe

Generational Handshaker
Dec 22, 2011
Do you guys actually watch Subban play or you just base yourself on his overrated reputation? No way in hell we should give a 1st for him. NO WAY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad