wings defense

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And to me Smith looks like he needs more time in the AHL, he's almost 24 and still can't hang in the NHL. ..

Quincey is 27, makes 3x as much money, and looks even worse than Smith.

HTT3*

and looks even worse than Smith.

That's a stretch. Smith has done nothing other than screen Howard and take bad penalties. That's all he contributes.

And Smith looked like garbage in the AHL this year. Too early to call him a bust, but he's def not the "savior" everyone is hoping for. If Holland can trade him for a proven young top 4 dman, I suggest he DO IT!!

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Go ahead, it is easier blaming one guy for all the DRWs troubles. To start with, Wings can't score... 4 goals in 3 games?

And, to top it off, the other team's goalies are out playing our goalie. Especially in the Dallas game.

And to me Smith looks like he needs more time in the AHL, he's almost 24 and still can't hang in the NHL. Lashoff on the other hand and has outplayed Smith at the ripe young age of 22...

Quick, blame Quincey. Howard sucks, $15 million 1st line can't score, Babcock looks clueless, but lets blame the guy that was brought here while the rest of the team stinks up the ice...

Still not convinced. Look at Kronwall's stats and then try to make a case for your boy Quincey. Good luck!

Thrace

Feb 21, 2012
The bigger problem I have is the inability to link up in their own end and make easy clearances. The lack of understanding on who should be where and what they are doing. These things do take time, but they don't communicate very well in my opinion. Quincey is not a leader of a pair and he certainly isn't going to listen to what Smith a rookie wants him to do. It puts them both in a very tough position, they need to talk more because they are embarrassing themselves. They both look bad because they cannot get on the same page.

That's spot-on analysis IMO. I'd like to see Smith paired with White. I still don't get how White went from our top pair to the third unit over the offseason. He's better than Q at both ends of the ice and might add a healthy dose of veteran leadership to that pairing. The only downside I can see is that it would leave us with a potentially brutal 3rd pairing unless Lashoff keeps playing well, or one of CC / Kindl step up when they return.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's a stretch. Smith has done nothing other than screen Howard and take bad penalties. That's all he contributes.

Hahaha. Kyle Quincey has done nothing more than get dangled and fail to intercept rink-wide breakout passes.

Also

Kyle Quincey- 6 pim
Brendan Smith- 2 pim

good try lol.

HTT3*

Hahaha. Kyle Quincey has done nothing more than get dangled and fail to intercept rink-wide breakout passes.

That was Smith, he couldn't even handle his man. Quincey had his man in the CBJs game.

HTT3*

Was that Smith who got walked by a rookie in the first game too?

Can you tell me one positive about game 1? Just one positive, that's all.... :laugh:

Boy, if Lidstrom AND Suter played in that game we would have won :handclap:

Don't kid yourself, that loss was on Babcock for not having his team prepared.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Can you tell me one positive about game 1? Just one positive, that's all.... :laugh:

Boy, if Lidstrom AND Suter played in that game we would have won :handclap:

Don't kid yourself, that loss was on Babcock for not having his team prepared.

Oh by the way Kronwall has been playing alongside Brian Lashoff. A guy who wasn't even drafted. Good luck guy!!!! :laugh:

HTT3*

Oh by the way Kronwall has been playing alongside Brian Lashoff. A guy who wasn't even drafted. Good luck guy!!!! :laugh:

Good, keep him up when the team gets healthy and send Smith back down. He's not ready for the NHL. Even the AHL seems too challenging for him at times.

Aug 6, 2012
Quincey has been autrocious. Smith has been decent but can't play to his strengths while being paired with Quincey.

HTT3 has a huge hatred for Smith and thats fine, but I don't get why you're defending Quincey. He's been terrible and to top it off KH gave up a 1st to Tampa, used to pick Vasilevsky, for Quincey. I don't get how you can or want to defend the guy.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Good, keep him up when the team gets healthy and send Smith back down. He's not ready for the NHL. Even the AHL seems too challenging for him at times.

Awww, how do you explain the fact Smith hasn't been nearly as bad as Quincey despite this being Smith's first season the NHL? Smith's plus/minus is -2 while Q's been -4. Why is that? ;)

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Only one person is making Smith out to be the bad guy.

Smith hasn't been as bad as Q but a couple of the goals that Q is getting blamed for were either mostly or partially Smith's fault.

Smith has not played well thus far.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
wasn't entirely sure where to put this but felt like sharing

I think I may be spending too much time reading posts here lately

I actually had a dream last night where Ken Holland was murdered and "2/21/12 never forget" was found written on his wall in blood :laugh:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I wonder if Ken Holland facepalms when he remembers he gave up a first round draft pick to acquire Kyle Quincey. After the Colorado Avalanche refused to trade Q to him. :amazed:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
OK, Ericsson has been in for only a couple of games but I'm willing to bestow the title of "Best Wings Defender" on him.

Quincey and Kronwall have been awful, the kids are doing the best they can, Huskins is solid I guess....

I mean really, Ericsson? sigh....

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
OK, Ericsson has been in for only a couple of games but I'm willing to bestow the title of "Best Wings Defender" on him.

Quincey and Kronwall have been awful, the kids are doing the best they can, Huskins is solid I guess....

I mean really, Ericsson? sigh....

I've been one of the bigger Ericsson fans here so it's nice to see him start getting his due. I think we can stick a fork in the idea Kindl is going to be a super awesome force on the power play. Let's put Lashoff back into the lineup. I'd like to see as much of E, Lashoff and Huskins in the lineup as possible seeing as we have no real offensive defenseman. Kronner is mediocre and Smith has upside. White can take the other token "offensive d-man" spot. We can keep Q as our 7th.

Kronner-E
Smith-Lashoff
Huskins-White
Quincey

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Kindl and Ericsson have both been better than Kronwall so far IMO.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Kindl and Ericsson have both been better than Kronwall so far IMO.

Kindl has been much better after that first game where he was awful. Big E is rock solid. Our best d-man by far. Mostly everyone not named Quincey has been more reliable than Kronwall. Big disappointment. I loved that the one time he tried to "Kronwall" someone during this game, he got rocked. Who needs Sammy shooting from the point missing the net when you got Kronner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad