Post-Game Talk: Wings def. Canucks - 5-2 (Beauvillier, Pettersson)

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
..and I said that he made maybe 5 saves that were straightforward and without drama. The rest either resulted in mad scrambles at his feet or gigantic uncontrolled rebounds. Since the definition of a "key save" can mean a save that prevented a goal from going in I guess you are right because not every shot on goal went in. I still think Delia is 10 times the goalie Martin is.
Neither of them are good at the moment. I don't see the huge difference in talent that you seem to see.

Despite being close in size, Delia somehow plays even smaller than Martin.

Delia is a better skater overall, but Martin has better reflexes. However, Martin can't track a beachball at the moment and he is riddled with a lot of bad habits that are clearly being exploited.

Reactions: Vector

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Our goaltending has gone from really bad to generationally awful.

Martin's first 10 or so games he looked like an OK backup which was better than Demko struggling mightily. Since then it's tracked further and further downhill to the point where this guy's save % is in the .820s over his last 9 or 10 appearances.
You forgot to add "...all of which have been losses."

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Neither of them are good at the moment. I don't see the huge difference in talent that you seem to see.
For me the key differences are that Delia handles the puck with far more confidence, allows far fewer uncontrolled rebounds, has better side to side movement and has a far better ability to shake off goals and get back to playing well which means that the team seems to play better with him in the net. His last start consisted of nothing but great shots off posts and in or to the top corner that he might well have saved if he were just a bit bigger, his size being his primary detriment. Made a couple of highlight reel saves as well. Nobody is saying he's fantastic but from where I sit he would make a perfectly adequate backup for Demko or whoever ends up being our #1 if Demko is irreparably damaged. Martin would have trouble in the ECHL right now.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
But "not goaltending" crowd trying to hold the stupid stance that goaltending is not a huge issue

lol some laughable flavours of Coke out there. Personally i prefer Rum and Coke
It’s not really a big issue though because the only reason it’s bad is injury.

Like our defence isn’t getting better without major personnel changes. Our goaltending should get better when Demko gets back to health and form.

The only difference is bad goaltending will give us a better draft pick this year. This team was never making the post season with better goaltending this year. Past years should be proof enough of that.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
It’s not really a big issue though because the only reason it’s bad is injury.

Like our defence isn’t getting better without major personnel changes. Our goaltending should get better when Demko gets back to health and form.

The only difference is bad goaltending will give us a better draft pick this year. This team was never making the post season with better goaltending this year. Past years should be proof enough of that.
But lists and negative fans @M2Beezy

• Love
Reactions: M2Beezy

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The thing about the team’s goaltending is they only have the third worst SV% at even strength and aren’t far off from a half dozen other teams. The goalies have been bad but within a normal range.

It’s the penalty kill that’s driving the historically bad results: the team is running a .761 SV%, when the next worst team is at .813. I’ve never seen anything like this.
The gap between first and 29th in the league is almost as big as the gap between the Canucks and second worst.

I’d love to see an analysis of how much of that is bad PK by the skaters, bad goaltending during PKs, and just bad luck.

I'm not sure it's possible to be this bad without all 3. There is a lot of correlation between goaltending and penalty killing: Boston, Dallas, islanders and Winnipeg are the top 4 PK teams this year. Good goalies in there.

When you look at the Canucks, last year Demko and Martin were playing well and the PK was still 74.9%, equal 2nd worst. Worst was 74.8%. The awfulness of the PK existed before this year's bad goaltending. What we see this year is the same terrible PK now with with terrible goaltending.

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm not sure it's possible to be this bad without all 3. Their is a lot of correlation between goaltending and penalty killing: Boston, Dallas, islanders and Winnipeg are the top 4 PK teams this year. Good goalies in there.

When you look at the Canucks, last year Demko and Martin were playing well and the PK was still 74.9%, equal 2nd worst. Worst was 74.8%. The awfulness of the PK was existed before this year's bad goaltending. What we see this year is the same terrible PK now with with terrible goaltending.
Our ok has been shit ever since Edler and Tanev left.
I think the problem we have on the PK is that OEL and Myers can’t f***ing PK.

Reactions: racerjoe

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I'm not sure it's possible to be this bad without all 3. There is a lot of correlation between goaltending and penalty killing: Boston, Dallas, islanders and Winnipeg are the top 4 PK teams this year. Good goalies in there.

When you look at the Canucks, last year Demko and Martin were playing well and the PK was still 74.9%, equal 2nd worst. Worst was 74.8%. The awfulness of the PK existed before this year's bad goaltending. What we see this year is the same terrible PK now with with terrible goaltending.

The team made no sense last year. We had the best 5 on 5 save percentage, Demko leading the league in that regard for MOST of the year, think he ended 2nd. Yet the moment a PK started... total gongshow. But yeah the PK was our singular biggest issue, but our goaltending masked how bad our team played 5 on 5 in our own end.

To some degree its just unmasked now that we dont have a goalie outperforming what can reasonably be expected of em (not that Martin is playing well...he is not).

Reactions: me2

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Our arguments here use to be so one sided. The entire forum arguing for Benning to fall with one or two sticking up for that failed project

Now we are arguing over how lousy our bottom of the barrel goaltending is vs our bottom of the barrel defense. Both suck, epicly suck

Our backup goalie was forced to become an emergency starter for half the season and is in way over his head while the third string is playing better. If we had any kind of decent defense some of those goaltending problems wouldnt be so bad but this teams defense is so overpaid, so poorly planned, so poorly put together that this was a perfect recipe for the results we see

Im not sure how necessary it is to bicker about these details, but it is hilarious when the well known Benning supporter(s) so easily blame the goaltending for this disasterously run franchise

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
People are incredibly invested in this being the WORST TEAM EVER, WORST DEFENSIVE TEAM EVER, NO HOPE, HAVE TO TANK and really don't want to have a discussion about how much the shockingly terrible goaltending has played into the record.

Again, you have to go back 30 years to find a team that was statistically this much worse than league average goaltending.
Stop it...

This is getting out of hand.

The sooner the handful of retool apologists just man up and admit they got it wrong. That they thought the team was closer than it actually is, the sooner we get to actual normal hockey discussion.

No. We are not a team worth retooling even if Demko was healthy this year. Sorry.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Stop it...

This is getting out of hand.

The sooner the handful of retool apologists just man up and admit they got it wrong. That they thought the team was closer than it actually is, the sooner we get to actual normal hockey discussion.

No. We are not a team worth retooling even if Demko was healthy this year. Sorry.
Man up is such a suppressive patriarchal term… Im super offended

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Finally saw the highlites, woof those were some bad Starship Troopers highschool football uniforms the Red Wings were rocking

Reactions: Zippgunn

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don’t know, I have to ask twitter and get back to you.
I still don't know what your point is.

I hardly use social media at all.

Can we go back to you just outright denying Doerrie is treated different by hockey fans than a old man would be in her position, instead of these cryptic jabs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad