Claimed off Waivers: Wings claim de la Rose

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Great skater, big body, doesn’t use much of it, reliable defensively but his offensive didn’t translate. I think he was rushed into the NHL in a defensive environement, could of development more offensively in a lesser league. Hope he can turn it around with the wings m, he looks better at the end of last season!

In that case... Welcome to the team Scott Wilson 2.0!

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Maybe because plekanec is better

DLR is not so much worse that we should sit him in favour of a guy who is almost 15 years older. Not surprised in the slightest he got claimed, he's a good PK'ing 4th liner. Good for him too, he was never going to get a fair chance in MTL.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Well - he was pretty bad before last year - I would be interested to see that same analysis just for the end of last year - I think it would be a different result.

Well, the point is that you need a real sample to actually judge a player, but his numbers were still pretty terrible last season too.

His results were bad last year too.

I think DLR has utility as a defensive 4th liner, but he's never been good at the NHL level in any area beyond defending.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
revenge for the 7-3 loss

In any case Peca took DLR's spot, he's just another wasted pick. Add Scherbak and McCarron to that list soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habitant le colon

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
DLR is not so much worse that we should sit him in favour of a guy who is almost 15 years older. Not surprised in the slightest he got claimed, he's a good PK'ing 4th liner. Good for him too, he was never going to get a fair chance in MTL.

Even just last season, he was.

And Plekanec hasn't been an everyday player for Montreal this year either.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Exactly, that kind of player, Tom Pyatt is also a good comparable.

One of my coworkers who is a sens fan , this morning when i asked if he thought the Sens would take him called him Tom Pyatt without the offence

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
How can you say that drafting 5 x 1st round picks (Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, McCarron (cleared waiver), Possibly Scherbak) and 4 x 2nd round picks (DLR, Fucale, Collberg, Thrower) in the span of 6 years (2009 to 2014) and have nothing to show for it right now as being labelled successful assets management, I guess you must blind.

The habs asset management the past few years has been horrible and this is another proof of that.

Thats bad drafting/development.
Its not bad asset management

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Thats bad drafting/development.
Its not bad asset management
As far as I can remember these players that we drafted/developped were considered assets at some point they (the habs) basically kept them until they realized that there were no more hope. Call it whatever you want in the grand scheme it is bad asset management and if I told you right now what could you get for 5 x 1st round picks and 3 x 2nd round picks you should get a pretty decent player no? If drafting good players and developing them is abymissal and a constant failure you are better off trading these assets and have something nice to show for it.

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
As far as I can remember these players that we drafted/developped where considered assets at some point they (the habs) basically kept them until they realized that there were no more hope. Call it whatever you want in the grand scheme it is bad asset management and if I told you right now what could you get for 5 x 1st round picks and 3 x 2nd round picks you should get a pretty decent player no?

Its actually 3 × 1st round picks.
Beaulieu is an nhl defenseman and Scherbak is not a bust (at least not yet).

Also, It doesnt make sense that you call it bad asset management when the current GM has been here since 2012 and you are taking data from 2009 to 2013

Reactions: Steeler23

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Well, the point is that you need a real sample to actually judge a player, but his numbers were still pretty terrible last season too.

His results were bad last year too.

I think DLR has utility as a defensive 4th liner, but he's never been good at the NHL level in any area beyond defending.

Yeah he's a 4th line center - maybe can fill in on the 3rd line if injuries hit.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Its actually 3 × 1st round picks.
Beaulieu is an nhl defenseman and Scherbak is not a bust (at least not yet).

Also, It doesnt make sense that you call it bad asset management when the current GM has been here since 2012 and you are taking data from 2009 to 2013
well 2012 to 2014 look awful early on. 2015 not much better.

At which point you stop pointing finger at previous management and look at yourself in the mirror

If a new GM comes in tomorrow should he remove himself from all blames if the likes of Juulsen, Poehling, Kotkaniemi, Ikonen, Romanov, Ylonen, etc. all fail in the coming years and end up on waiver or released with nothing to show for it?

Development is important as well as trade you know. That's part of the asset management.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Last season, when we traded Plekanec, DLR was put on the right chair: centre position, on a 3rd line. He had 8 points in 20 games, +3 on a very bad team. I think he is a legit bottom six player honestly.
That's also what I think. He deserves to play in the NHL so good pick up by Detroit.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He played 119 games...

He was bounced around between the NHL and AHL his whole career in NA. Last season was the only one he saw regular ice time in the NHL and he did look ready. Too bad the management loves Plekanec way too much so he was practically in a dead end to start this year. Not that it's a huge loss, DLR doesn't exactly ooze offensive talent, but he could've become a good shutdown bottom six centre for us.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I'm a habs fan. De La Rose had a strong end of the year last season. Since we had tons of injuries, he ended playing up in the lineup. He was, at least to me, much better there then when he plays on the fourth line. He was able to take up rebounds and do basic plays, which got him a few more points than usual. He was also reliable defensively, hence why people where expecting a bit more during the pre-season. If I were the wings coach, I'd try him with some more offensive player who can drive up the play. Maybe he could build up from last season in that way. However, I expect that it could take a while until they try this because he really doesn't look like the type of guy you want to put on an offensive line.

On the more negative side of things, during the pre-season he showed absolutely no signs of having evolved as a player. Is biggest flaw is that he is definitely not going to drive offence. People don't call him black-hole for nothing. Being a center you'd expect that he would have some sort of playmaking abilities, but he seems to have none. People comparing him to Eller are far off. To me, Eller also had a very poor vision and offensive hockey IQ. However, he was very driven to be an offensive player and he had good hands. He just wanted it more than DLR.

Regarding my own speculation, I think he might not be as good defensively as people say he is. He takes so few chances offensively that I think he may somehow "cheat" defensively by always giving more effort on the back check and never being too high in the offensive zone. He's a very forgettable player though, I may be off on this one :p

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... What's this thing with the Wings saying they claimed D-Men Jacob de la Rose?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
DLR had a good WC for Sweden. He's an excellent skater and will work. Offensive skills are limited, but he showed some flashes towards the end of last year. He'll get a chance, presumably, to play every night with Detroit. Best of luck to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad