Claimed off Waivers: Wings claim de la Rose

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
He was on a 50+ game goalless streak last year when he threw up 3 points in a game against the wings where the Habs scored 10. I think Detroit will be pretty disappointed when they realize he doesn't score like that against anyone else.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
How can you say that drafting 5 x 1st round picks (Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, McCarron (cleared waiver), Possibly Scherbak) and 4 x 2nd round picks (DLR, Fucale, Collberg, Thrower) in the span of 6 years (2009 to 2014) and have nothing to show for it right now as being labelled successful assets management, I guess you must blind.

The habs asset management the past few years has been horrible and this is another proof of that.
How can you clIAm that letting DLR go was Horrible asset management by the Habs . I think there was some Horrible assetment but it wasn't by the Habs.:headache:

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
As far as I can remember these players that we drafted/developped were considered assets at some point they (the habs) basically kept them until they realized that there were no more hope. Call it whatever you want in the grand scheme it is bad asset management and if I told you right now what could you get for 5 x 1st round picks and 3 x 2nd round picks you should get a pretty decent player no? If drafting good players and developing them is abymissal and a constant failure you are better off trading these assets and have something nice to show for it.

from 2012-2016... lets say the last two years dont count cu z we need time to assess and give the last two season drafts time...

2012- Alex Galchenyuk 3rd OA traded for MAx Domi (good asset management)
Charles Hudon 5th round... current roster player looks solid.

2013- MCcaron looks like bust but its 25th overall. hard to be precise.
- of the 3 second rounders selected in 13, JDLR and LEhkonen are the ones with the most games played from 2nd rounders in the league.

2014- 26th overall Scherbak. looks meh but tore it up in AHL needs to work harder. not a bust
no 2nd rounder
3rd rounder LErnout loos to be first callup from AHL on D.
7th rounder Jake Evans one of the player of the year last year in NCAA. signed two year deal this summer. LAval ROcket

2015 Juulsen 1st rounder 25th OA. toip 4 dman on habs so far at 21. looks to be the real deal.
no 2nd rounder again.
3rd roundeer Vejdemo and 7th rounder Jeremiah addison on laval rocket for now.
6th rounder simon bourque(who) was traded for joel armia, a 4th and a 7th round pick as long as we took back the contract of steve mason. Awesome management.

2016 Sergachev 9OA, great pick traded for Drouin,. we shall see. but Drouin looking real good lately.
4th rounder Victor Mete made the habs at 19 years old and again this year. looks solid but needs time.

player to keep an eye out for from 2017 and 2018.

Kotkaniemi obviously. Poehling looks decent and may surprise. Josh Brook is like my new favorite obsession from camp. loved him in junior. HM to Ylonen, Ikonen, Romanov, Cam hillis, Tyszka

id say asset managment was fine.

not to mention trading pacioretty a pending ufa for a 20-25 goal scorer, a top prospect and a 2nd.

and JDLR has his chances played over 100 NHL gamnes and otherthen being a solid looking defensive forward, he didnt impress at all.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Reminds me a bit of what happened with Kyle Chipchura and I foresee a smilar career path. (KHL down the road).
This right here looks about right to me. Minus the fistacuffs that Kyle would get into a couple times per season.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
How on earth did you miss seeing Galchenyuk, and Lehkonen and Gallagher? Name a 2nd round pick in 2013 when DLR was drafted that was better? There is one and his name is Lehkonen.
I was mentioning dead assets. (As released or lost for nothing) I was also pointing out 1st and 2nd round pick only if you want I could add the other picks but it would not help the story.

Okay let's talk Galchenyuk.. 3rd overall highest pick in over 3 decades for the habs. Traded away for Max Domi. Mitigated results at best.

Lehkonen drafted in the 2nd round currently a good 3rd liner might push for 2nd line down the road. Still with the habs.

Gallagher by far the best draft pick in that era. Best point producer last season still with the habs.

Better 2nd round pick than DLR? How about JT Compher, Hagg and Bertuzzi? As for DLR I think he has a future and that it was very poor to let him go on waiver.

The habs have handled poorly the prospect from these period and the resultd are lukewarm at best.

Reactions: Runner77

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I was mentioning dead assets. (As released or lost for nothing) I was also pointing out 1st and 2nd round pick only if you want I could add the other picks but it would not help the story.

Okay let's talk Galchenyuk.. 3rd overall highest pick in over 3 decades for the habs. Traded away for Max Domi. Mitigated results at best.

Lehkonen drafted in the 2nd round currently a good 3rd liner might push for 2nd line down the road. Still with the habs.

Gallagher by far the best draft pick in that era. Best point producer last season still with the habs.

Better 2nd round pick than DLR? How about JT Compher, Hagg and Bertuzzi? As for DLR I think he has a future and that it was very poor to let him go on waiver.

The habs have handled poorly the prospect from these period and the resultd are lukewarm at best.

You realize that from 2012-2016 there were 3 seasons with no 2nd round picks.

The 2012 second round pick was traded at The deadline for vanek and took us deep in the playoffs.

You are nitpicking one season of 2nd round picks where the habs had 3.. of which one is the most successful of all
2nd round picks lehkonen.. I don’t understand what your beef is or if you’re just anti management

Look at the prospect pool
The habs has in 2012 when mb room over and look at it now. You could even included galchenyuk to previous management.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Does this mean we can end the abysmal AA as a center experiment/ship Nielsen to Siberia?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Of course not, he belong on a 4th line in the NHL. He's pretty solid defensively and on the PK and could produce from 10-20 points.

Good claim by Detroit. MTL wasn't going to put Scherbak on waivers so it was between DLR/Plekanec/Peca. Peca have been pretty solid in the preseason and got 2 assists last game while been dangerous all game long.

MTL will need to make another move pretty soon since Deslauriers is coming back. Again Peca/Plekanec/Deslauriers might go on waivers. We all hope its Plekanec but God knows what Bergevin will do.....

They are pretty open about why they are keeping Plek on the roster and it makes a ton of sense. Plek at this stage is essentially a player coach. He works a lot with Kotk and is around giving pointers.

As far as 13th forwards go, Plek makes more sense than anyone on a rebuilding team.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
De La Rose is a decent player it's just his offensive never seem to come through in the NHL. If it does then he's a solid bottom 6 player.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
... What's this thing with the Wings saying they claimed D-Men Jacob de la Rose?
Might not be a bad idea to give him a try at D. Could be one of those old school guys the Wings (Bowman...) used to play at both ends! He is really good at positioning himself at the right place, backchecking and covering a lot of ice but lacks any offensive IQ. Victim of the Lefebvre/Therrien "system".

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Last year DLR was actually quite good for us in an elevated role up our lineup. If given greater opportunity, I could see him performing really well as a player for Detroit. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up performing much better for his new team than he did for us, kind of like Mike Reilly plays right now as opposed to how he played for the Wild.

As for those thinking DLR could never end up becoming a good player for Detroit because he didn't realize his potential with Montreal, remember that Muzzin was actually picked off waivers by LA back in the day and that many people thought he would only be an NHL journeyman at best.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I was going to make a comment that JDL is a very solid pk'er, and Montreal last year had the 2nd worst pk, but then I saw that in the ~50 minutes of pk time JDL had last year, he was on the ice for 10 powerplay goals against which is a rather large number. From the eye test because of his speed he looks like a very good PK'er, and an asset to any team, it'll be interesting to see how Detroit utilizes him. If he excels on the PK there, it's proof that MTL's PK strategy is garbage and it's not the players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not very surprising, although he's not a great player

Do you expect to pick up a "great" player on waivers? DLR is a big body that skates very well. A good piece in the bottom 6 but he lacks offense. The rest of his game is very solid and he played a key role for Sweden at the last Worlds.

A decent pick-up for the Wings if they give him more opportunity than he had in Montreal and he is able to take the next step

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
One of those players that you wonder what could've been. Rushed to the NHL because Therrien wanted to mindf*** with Eller. I remember him gurgling to the media about how DLR was his new Jordan Staal.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Assuming he gets cleared to actually play games and gets his visa in order asap, he's just a warm body with another year under contract. Nothing more, nothing less. His ice time ain't jumping any noticable amount in Detroit, assuming he even gets into the lineup on anything close to a regualar basis.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Last year DLR was actually quite good for us in an elevated role up our lineup. If given greater opportunity, I could see him performing really well as a player for Detroit. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up performing much better for his new team than he did for us, kind of like Mike Reilly plays right now as opposed to how he played for the Wild.

As for those thinking DLR could never end up becoming a good player for Detroit because he didn't realize his potential with Montreal, remember that Muzzin was actually picked off waivers by LA back in the day and that many people thought he would only be an NHL journeyman at best.
Nope.

Drafted in the 5th round by the Pens in 2007, went unsigned, went back to the draft in 2009, went undrafted, and was signed as a FA by the Kings in 2010.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad