Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Robby Fabbri for Jacob De La Rose

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
How Robby Fabbri reignited career after Detroit Red Wings stole him from Blues

Pretty cool article. Fabbri loves it here!

“I’ve stated multiple times I want to be in Detroit for as long as possible,” he said. “I don’t control that but I loved it there from the minute I came. Everything was great for myself, for my girlfriend and the dogs. They loved it there. I’m looking to stay there as long as I can.”

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
No kidding he wants to stay here , his career was basically dead . Find it hard to see him fitting here longterm with all the prospects coming up next 2-3 years

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
No kidding he wants to stay here , his career was basically dead . Find it hard to see him fitting here longterm with all the prospects coming up next 2-3 years

I don't see why Fabbri can't be a solid middle six forward on this team for the next 4-6 years while not blocking anyone else's development. His career got off to a solid start and then he ran into injuries and a lineup that was deep and clicking in St. Louis. He can be a good 3rd liner on a good team. He's only 24 years old.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I don't see why Fabbri can't be a solid middle six forward on this team for the next 4-6 years while not blocking anyone else's development. His career got off to a solid start and then he ran into injuries and a lineup that was deep and clicking in St. Louis. He can be a good 3rd liner on a good team. He's only 24 years old.

Well fingers crossed we add lafraniere or our top picks a forward ,hopefully we keep bertuzzi and mantha longterm , larkin and zadina thats 5 forwards . Add in veleno and rasmussen thats 7 and then you gotta hope whoever else we have now like berggren,mastrosimone etc... or whomever we draft this year/and next are all flops + free agency , odds are against him being here in 2-3 years

He had a solid year and we won the trade hands down but im not gonna get carried away on fabbri just yet and assume hes gonne be 29 and still here

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If we add lafraniere hes already the 3rd lw , it would be dumb at this point to break up the top line of bertuzzi larkin mantha
Imho, too many people put too much stock in top 10 picks & expect 1OA or even top 3-5 to dominate off the hop. Prime example, Hughes, Kaako this season. So I'd expect LaF to start on a 3rd line on most, if not all teams before putting him in the Top 6, even if for an adjustment period of 10-30gp. If he kills it in camp that doesn't mean a lot, considering, i.e., AA this season, good in camp, sucked most of the season. Just my 2 cents.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Imho, too many people put too much stock in top 10 picks & expect 1OA or even top 3-5 to dominate off the hop. Prime example, Hughes, Kaako this season. So I'd expect LaF to start on a 3rd line on most, if not all teams before putting him in the Top 6, even if for an adjustment period of 10-30gp. If he kills it in camp that doesn't mean a lot, considering, i.e., AA this season, good in camp, sucked most of the season. Just my 2 cents.
Lafraniere a 3rd lw to start the season? On this god awful team? Ya sorry i cant see that happening at all , dont forget he also just missed the draft last season by a bit so he’ll be 19

We’ll see what happens but if we do land him with the redwings hes a top 6 guy and ppl time right off the hop

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Lafreniere is ready for a top 6 role. He may not score a ton of points as a rookie, but he's the size and strength for the NHL right now (6'1 193). He's gonna have some learning to do though.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

I agree, I'm planning for Laf to probably slot in as the 3rd line wing next season if we get him. He may play above that quickly but I'd start him low and let him get some PP time and work in on the 3rd.

I'm totally pro resigning Fabbri to a 3 or 4 year deal. He can score and those guys on reasonable deals can usually grab at least a 2nd if Zads, Ras, Veleno, Laf (or other winger pic) outplay him. He is only 24. If the Wings were up against the cap it'd be different, but they've prob got 3 years before the cap really comes into play. Unlike Holland, Stevie is more willing to move players so I don't have an issue with a short term deal.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Also there is nothing to say you don't keep Fabbri and deal Mantha or Bert if they can land you the D you need at a later date if say Ras becomes more net front winger than 2 way center.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I agree, I'm planning for Laf to probably slot in as the 3rd line wing next season if we get him. He may play above that quickly but I'd start him low and let him get some PP time and work in on the 3rd.

I'm totally pro resigning Fabbri to a 3 or 4 year deal. He can score and those guys on reasonable deals can usually grab at least a 2nd if Zads, Ras, Veleno, Laf (or other winger pic) outplay him. He is only 24. If the Wings were up against the cap it'd be different, but they've prob got 3 years before the cap really comes into play. Unlike Holland, Stevie is more willing to move players so I don't have an issue with a short term deal.
agree 100%

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Lafreniere is ready for a top 6 role. He may not score a ton of points as a rookie, but he's the size and strength for the NHL right now (6'1 193). He's gonna have some learning to do though.

What does it matter?

Detroit currently has the 4th overall pick.

Even if Detroit moves up in the lottery, its still unlikely Detroit selects the guy.

Its like buying a lottery ticket and already writing cheques like the jackpot is already won, but the lottery hasn't happened yet.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Also there is nothing to say you don't keep Fabbri and deal Mantha or Bert if they can land you the D you need at a later date if say Ras becomes more net front winger than 2 way center.
I think we need to keep Mantha, barring drastic overpayment, he's got that unique combo of: size/skill/shot/skating/IQ/chemistry/age/snarl. I feel like our D prospects should be able to fill out our D corps in time, maybe with 1 UFA signing to boost it...just lacks a true #1. Eventually, I see Seider & Hronek's range as: #2a-#3b, DDK #3b if healthy, McIsaac #4a/b, Lindstrom #4a-#5b, Nemeth #4a-#5b. add Tuomisto, Johansson, Cholo, 1 UFA

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I think we need to keep Mantha, barring drastic overpayment, he's got that unique combo of: size/skill/shot/skating/IQ/chemistry/age/snarl.

That depends on what he gets, if he can stay healthy, and if he can ever break the 30 goal and 60 point barriers over a healthy season.

The scary thing is I see Evan Kane as a comparable for a contract. At least which I realistically expect his agent to demand.

Mantha's pace has been 49, 59, and 72 points over the past 3 years but he is constantly missing time due to stupid, self-inflicted injuries cause guy thinks he is a ju-jitsu black belt.

Keep in mind Kane has a 7x7 deal with 2 seasons hitting 50+ points!

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Why would Kane be comparable when he is 3 years older.

Arbitration hearings tend to use player comparables to try to 'set' a rate for the arbitrator. Naturally, the agent wants the best deal for his client.

Kane was heading to UFA in a couple months. But Kane was 26, while Mantha is currently 25. While he is currently RFA, teams generally pay a premium for those UFA years.

Kane is predominantly known for his goal scoring, Mantha is predominantly known for his goal scoring.

Kane is known for being a tough guy, Mantha wants to be known for being a tough guy.

Evander Kane never hit 60 points, and scored 30 once by time he signed the 7x7 deal. Granted he was close multiple times, and his pace would have put him over that mark multiple times.

Likewise Mantha never hit high points and goal total. He was well on pace for 30+ multiple times but never reached it due to injuries.

Injuries which were a result of his own stupid actions (Vitkovski, Nemeth, Muzzin). This would obviously be one of the counter-arguments from management in an arbitration hearing.

I could go deeper into it, but that's the jist of it.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Mantha will only get dealt at this point if his contract negotiations become a big headache, we wont sign him to a short deal and let him walk for nothing

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Mantha will only get dealt at this point if his contract negotiations become a big headache, we wont sign him to a short deal and let him walk for nothing

Agreed. I would not want to deal either Mantha or Bert. But say in 2 years we are a good dman away from competing and Zads is looking like that 40 goal guy, Ras looks like that 1st unit net front guy, and we draft Laf and he is ballin, then if you can get a premium for either and add what you need you do it. In the cap world you have to maximize your elite years, and our clock is already ticking with our forward group.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
The Athletic has an article about the 'best bang for their buck' production value. Fabbri is actually in the red even at $900K. Not sure how I feel about that.

Technically, Robby Fabbri graded out in the red despite a cap hit under $1 million. It’s just by a hair, but for the team’s fourth-leading scorer this season (and a player expected to be back in the top six next year on a new contract) it’s nonetheless concerning, especially since he was one of the franchise’s main success stories.
The explanation is likely related to Fabbri’s on-ice numbers at even strength. Detroit’s expected goals percentage was below 43 percent, and its shot share was below 45 percent, with Fabbri on the ice at 5-on-5, according to Natural Stat Trick. Both of those were below the team’s overall averages for the season.
It’s worth noting that Fabbri did still grade out with net-positive value by Evolving-Hockey‘s Goals Against Replacement metric, but even there, his even-strength defensive component was a dismal negative-4.7, the second-worst impact on the team.
Because of the offensive impact he made, especially in terms of goal-scoring, it’s probably still fair to count Fabbri among the team’s successes for this season. But defense looks like an area he’ll need to take some strides in. He’s up for his next contract this summer as well.

The Red Wings who provided the most bang for the buck this...

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Agreed. I would not want to deal either Mantha or Bert. But say in 2 years we are a good dman away from competing and Zads is looking like that 40 goal guy, Ras looks like that 1st unit net front guy, and we draft Laf and he is ballin, then if you can get a premium for either and add what you need you do it. In the cap world you have to maximize your elite years, and our clock is already ticking with our forward group.
Im not saying its not a possibility especially with contract disputes, players getting fed up of losing you just never know . This team needs some older players to lead the way and as of today for me its the trio of bertuzzi larkin mantha and maybe some veteran dman if we can sign one , dont see dekeyser as decent as he is being the main veteran dman to the lead the d kids to the future

Glendening ,helm and every other player with clearly no longterm future here is basically expendable

Again , mantha can be expendable but wouldnt be for me to get like jake sanderson in some draft deal it would have to be a big overpayment for us to even consider it atm

Reactions: SirloinUB

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Well fingers crossed we add lafraniere or our top picks a forward ,hopefully we keep bertuzzi and mantha longterm , larkin and zadina thats 5 forwards . Add in veleno and rasmussen thats 7 and then you gotta hope whoever else we have now like berggren,mastrosimone etc... or whomever we draft this year/and next are all flops + free agency , odds are against him being here in 2-3 years

He had a solid year and we won the trade hands down but im not gonna get carried away on fabbri just yet and assume hes gonne be 29 and still here
I wouldn't assume that all those players work out and still want to be in Detroit for that long. I'd sign Fabbri to a multi-year deal and then maybe he gets another one after, or maybe the Wings decide to part ways. I think there can be good team value on a 3 year deal with Fabbri.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What does it matter?

Detroit currently has the 4th overall pick.

Even if Detroit moves up in the lottery, its still unlikely Detroit selects the guy.

Its like buying a lottery ticket and already writing cheques like the jackpot is already won, but the lottery hasn't happened yet.

Why?
Because we're talking about it.
Maybe it's on Detroit. Maybe not.
But Lafreniere is ready for the top 6 virtually anywhere and ESPECIALLY on Detroit.
He and Stutzle would also be ready for a PP role.
I don't know if stutzle would be ready for the grind though.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think the biggest concern, if we have Lafreniere, is who centers him?
I don't see anyone out there worth signing. Ras and Veleno aren't ready for high level work.

Maybe you try Fabbri at C for a year?

Lafreniere-Larkin-Mantha
Bertuzzi-Fabbri-Zadina

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln