Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Nick Leddy (mod warning post #224)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yzerman drafted pretty well in Tampa. Lots of steals throughout his drafts. I would have kept the 2nd rounder.
But you don't trust Yzerman to identify good players with "only" 10 picks in the first 5 rounds? That 11th pick was the make-or-break one?

Also has everyone forgotten this draft is chaos? You can likely get players in the 6th round that would normally go in the 2nd or 3rd. It's not the year to get hung up on a 2nd.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yzerman drafted pretty well in Tampa. Lots of steals throughout his drafts. I would have kept the 2nd rounder.

Hey, don’t they still have two 2nds? They’ve got 11 picks still after this. Getting Leddy and one other competent D will actually let some of the young players they have actually play closer to even ground with other teams.

Reactions: rangersblues

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I really like this. He could probably get us a 2nd at the deadline anyway and moving Panik clears a roster spot on forward for guys like Smith or Pearson. We'll have the LD that can qb our power play finally.

Reactions: golffuul

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I really like this. He could probably get us a 2nd at the deadline anyway and moving Panik clears a roster spot on forward for guys like Smith or Pearson. We'll have the LD that can qb our power play finally. If he doesn't pan out oh well, you win some you lose some, and it was only a late 2nd in a weak draft

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
I'll say it:

Do we *want* to be better next year? I thought next year was like the one year where being bad would actually make strategic sense.
Here comes Mr. Tanker... Tanking or being bad on purpose hasn't worked in the lottery... Yes I know the 2022 Draft is supposedly fantastic, but there is no guarantee we get some Pistons luck... I'm sick of it, I want to see the team take another step.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
It makes me sad that next year is going to be another "acquire vets and flip at the deadline" kind of year, but it is what it is.

Given that information, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bert actually traded this summer or at the deadline. Yzerman really doesn't want anyone from the Holland era on the roster.

Yzerman will be able to trade Leddy for either a first (if he retains) or a second and a third. If he gets a first, the Mantha trade basically becomes Mantha for Vrana and two firsts.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'll say it:

Do we *want* to be better next year? I thought next year was like the one year where being bad would actually make strategic sense.

Yes we do. Because we probably have some young players who are better and more talented than they seem but they’re not able to play as well because our back end has been a dumpster fire. With this, we can pair Leddy and Seider and not just hope to god that Moritz Seider is the savior we think he is… but actually give him some support to grow towards that.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Here comes Mr. Tanker... Tanking or being bad on purpose hasn't worked in the lottery... Yes I know the 2022 Draft is supposedly fantastic, but there is no guarantee we get some Pistons luck... I'm sick of it, I want to see the team take another step.

Relying on the bingo balls hasn't worked out for the teams lucky enough to hit them. Look at Buffalo and Edmonton. Yeah, you can blame it on piss poor team management, but getting franchise level talent doesn't mean that you're automatically set up for success. This isn't the NBA where you one franchise player can carry your team to the playoffs..

Reactions: rangersblues

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
I would much rather have Leddy than Graves, Detroit’s defense just got a lot better today. Leddy will help that awful PP too, the Wings are going to be a lot easier to watch this fall. That’s a good thing to me.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
You get PAID freeing teams from bad cap hits and cap crunches.
You don't pay for it, with a 2nd.
Some people have 1 brain cell they operate with and even that one is damaged.
Yes, trust Yzerman, but he makes mistakes, he doesn't walk on water and turns water into wine.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Yes we do. Because we probably have some young players who are better and more talented than they seem but they’re not able to play as well because our back end has been a dumpster fire. With this, we can pair Leddy and Seider and not just hope to god that Moritz Seider is the savior we think he is… but actually give him some support to grow towards that.
If that's the strategy, I'm going to be a sad panda. It's not, "Look at this awesome new sports car I got you," it's "I think you'll find that your 2005 Honda Civic was what you really needed all along."

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I really like this. He could probably get us a 2nd at the deadline anyway and moving Panik clears a roster spot on forward for guys like Smith or Pearson. We'll have the LD that can qb our power play finally. If he doesn't pan out oh well, you win some you lose some, and it was only a late 2nd in a weak draft

I would imagine that by retaining on Leddy (in theory, knocking him down to the prorated amount off his 5.5M cap hit) you will do better than just one second.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
You get PAID freeing teams from bad cap hits and cap crunches.
You don't pay for it, with a 2nd.
Some people have 1 brain cell they operate with and even that one is damaged.
Yes, trust Yzerman, but he makes mistakes, he doesn't walk on water and turns water into wine.

People who think the 52nd pick in a free for all draft is worth it's weight in gold have one brain cell, and even that one is damaged. Yzerman will make mistakes, but it's clear he's trying to make this team more competitive via draft and trade. Leddy unquestionably makes our defense better. Thinking you have the hot take on what it actually took to get Leddy is honestly laughable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad