Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Nick Leddy (mod warning post #224)

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
In a vacuum A 2nd is good value for a guy like Leddy. He Plays 21 minutes a night producing on the pp and at even strength. He also scored more than anyone on our team last year lol. Leddy also plays a position of need and can ge be a good mentor for some of the young D.

I like this trade for the most part but given the expansion draft constraints would have liked to see Yzerman get better value but overall I’m happy.

Last edited:

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I'm fine with it. I don't love losing the second rounder and don't think 30 year olds in their last year's are who we should be targeting... But he'll be good to help mentor the kids, and it's not good for anyone on our team having Hronek as the only competent defenseman. It's a low price for the player Leddy is, and I can see the utility in having him around. I just wouldn't be trading picks for someone like him. He's certainly better than Merrill, but I'd rather sign Merrill (or whoever), keep the second and a salary retention spot than bring in Leddy.

2.5/5
There are free agent dmen who can provide veteran leadership and competence on the ice who wouldn’t have cost a draft pick. Some who have been bought out recently.
Wings are in a position where they should be acquiring picks not dealing them.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'm assuming this is step 1 in a series of deals to help NYI/ 3rd team skirt around expansion and get Leddy onto a certain team?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
An awful trade, the pick should've been going the other way. Leddy hasn't been more than replacement level in years and isn't better than someone like Merril. I'm sure he was held in higher regard around the league, but he is not the player that he's assumed to be. I guess even Steve has to have a miss every now and then too.

If Steve wanted a depth D you can go into FA and overpay someone like Edler on a 1 year deal instead of given up assets for Leddy.

His nerd charts say hes bad but yet he can produce at a 40+ point pace still and was like 10 seconds off of leading the Isles in ice time on their 19 game run where they gave the cup champs their toughest challenge.

Leddy is the type of dman the wings need to help the forwards produce some offense. They also free up a spot for a young forward instead of Panik hanging around for two more season someone like Veleno or Raymond can get some ice

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Wings are in a position where they should be acquiring picks not dealing them.
It's pretty easy:

- We have nothing on our LHD
- We have two good young RHD with no one to play with
- We have had tons of picks the last few years
- We have tons of picks this year
- We have tons of the coming years
- This draft is a mess, a late 2nd is probably equal in value to a 4th/5th a normal year

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not liking seeing this however.

Attachments

• nl.PNG
    nl.PNG
    141.7 KB · Views: 16

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
How is this trade "amazing"?
Panik was going to be exposed and we will protect Leddy, upgrading our D and potentially able to get a great return at the deadline or in another trade, or maybe Leddy signs with us for a couple of years to bridge the gap and mentor Seider.

Pretty amazing in my book

Reactions: Bench

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Leddy’s career and playoff experience, playing defense, having one year remaining. He’s a more valuable deadline trade piece than Panik would ever be.

In the meantime, he’s a quality veteran defenseman who can slot in next to Seider as a mentor and potentially fill in on a powerplay.

And beyond that, he’s a placeholder. With Johansson potentially a year away. With McIsaac potentially a year away. With a Hughes or Edvinsson potentially in the future plans, or even Viro or Sebrango in the future, he’s a good short term fit with trade value and presents zero barrier for the prospects arriving in the next handful of years.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
An awful trade, the pick should've been going the other way. Leddy hasn't been more than replacement level in years and isn't better than someone like Merril. I'm sure he was held in higher regard around the league, but he is not the player that he's assumed to be. I guess even Steve has to have a miss every now and then too.

If Steve wanted a depth D you can go into FA and overpay someone like Edler on a 1 year deal instead of given up assets for Leddy.

isles fan coming in peace. Nick Leddy is still very much a top 4 defensman. You guys will be happy when you flip him at the deadline to a contender.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Panik was going to be exposed and we will protect Leddy, upgrading our D and potentially able to get a great return at the deadline or in another trade, or maybe Leddy signs with us for a couple of years to bridge the gap and mentor Seider.

Pretty amazing in my book

Leddy has been good for the Islanders, I don't know what all the negative talk is about. He's not a bonafide #1, all situations guy but he's been productive generating offense.

And damn do we need help generating offense from the blueline.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
yzerman just watched every playoff minute of leddy against the dynasty he built in tbay , as in he knew exactly what leddy was dealing with and came away impressed . and i guarantee i will take yzermans veiwpoint in this matter over every other person ON EARTH

plus he obviously hand picked the very important seiders teacher !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad