Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Nick Leddy (mod warning post #224)

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Seems like an ok trade, and did I really just read someone say he's the equivalent of Merril. Come on now, he will be a good partner for Seider.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I agree, see my post above, #14.

I guess SY thinks he'll get a 2nd @ TDL for 1 season of Leddy, costing only 50% on Panik.

which would also have the effect of swapping a 2nd round pick in this years draft for one in next years which he may or may not view as a positive with how abnormal this year was

Reactions: 14ari13

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Why are we giving up second rounders and retaining salary for a 30 year old D with UFA status in one season? I don't get it.
Have you seen our defense the last 5 years? Like, at any point in time?

I'm sure Leddy isn't the long-term solution, but I do feel a whole lot better about pairing up Seider with Leddy rather than with Staal, Djoos, Cholowski or Dekeyser.
Maybe we flip Leddy at the TDL, or maybe we re-sign him for a few years if the fit turns out to be good. Either way I think it's a good deal for us. We are in desperate, desperate need of a LD that can actually play decent minutes and isn't a prospect or someone one step from retirement.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
which would also have the effect of swapping a 2nd round pick in this years draft for one in next years which he may or may not view as a positive with how abnormal this year was
Yep, good pt. Next yrs. is the safer pick at least.

Plus now we have a Cup Winner (since Flip is a goner)

Last edited:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
A 52nd overall is unlikely to produce a player that will ever make the NHL. They wanted someone to buoy a shit defense for a season. Not really a big deal.

Even with the unlikeliness of the pick reaching the NHL it's a poor use of an asset. They had Stetcher who is better than Leddy and if they wanted to buoy the D they could've added ay of: Edler, Cole, Hjalmarsson, or Goligoski could've done the same thing as Leddy. Leddy is not a capable top 4 dman and even if the plan is to trade him at the deadline next year a 2nd in this years draft is more valuable than a 2nd next.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Have you seen our defense the last 5 years? Like, at any point in time?

I'm sure Leddy isn't the long-term solution, but I do feel a whole lot better about pairing up Seider with Leddy rather than with Staal, Djoos, Cholowski or Dekeyser.
Maybe we flip Leddy at the TDL, or maybe we re-sign him for a few years if the fit turns out to be good. Either way I think it's a good deal for us. We are in desperate, desperate need of a LD that can actually play decent minutes and isn't a prospect or someone one step from retirement.
So basically we will suck just enough to get a top 3 pick in the draft. Got it. Congrats...

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Yzerman basically gave up a 2nd round pick in an unknown draft for someone who will be able to mentor Seider for his first season. On top of that, there is the ability to trade Leddy at the deadline for a 2022 2nd round pick in a stronger, more scouted draft; especially when he has 1 year left on his contract. This makes a ton of sense in my opinion. This seems like a genius move by Yzerman.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm fine with it. I don't love losing the second rounder and don't think 30 year olds in their last contract year are who we should be targeting... But he'll be good to help mentor the kids, and it's not good for anyone on our team having Hronek as the only competent defenseman. It's a low price for the player Leddy is, and I can see the utility in having him around. I just wouldn't be trading picks for someone like him. He's certainly better than Merrill, but I'd rather sign Merrill (or whoever), keep the second and a salary retention spot than bring in Leddy.

2.5/5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad