TSN: Wings acquire Alex Nedeljkovic for Bernier and a 3rd

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
I really like this trade. I see the mainboard nag about the Canes D made him better than he is and so on..but I really like what the D is shaping up to be in Detroit already next season.
A bit sad Olekisak went to Seattle and I don't think Ekholm is going anywhere with Ellis traded from the Preds but why not give Seider a real veteran LD his first year.. Chara or Suter still have gas left in their tank ..

Suter - Seider
Leddy - Hronek
DeKeyser - Stecher

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Idk why this just seems, "cheap". Young starting goalie(at the least a back-up) for a late 3rd.... Fine. Lets roll the dice.

Even with Ned here It shouldn't prohibit the team from drafting anyone if they really want to. Greiss isn't here for the long haul and is up there in age.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Does Nedeljkovic have a nickname yet? I think I've seen Ned and Neds floating around the thread, but I think Joker would be a cool moniker for him.

Maybe even get a mask along these lines:

CHs-tBsWwAAr-Si.jpg

The first thing that popped into my head was that his name is very similar to Novak Djokovic, who does have the nickname Joker. I don’t know if he feels like he’d be stepping on toes with that nickname, and it seems like Ned is the go to.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The first thing that popped into my head was that his name is very similar to Novak Djokovic, who does have the nickname Joker. I don’t know if he feels like he’d be stepping on toes with that nickname, and it seems like Ned is the go to.
Ned it is then. And the Legend of the Mighty Ned shall grow each day. He shall revive this roster with a single save...

images

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
"But the two-year, $3 million AAV contract Nedeljkovic signed with the Red Wings is a low-risk deal with major upside. And for what it’s worth, Yzerman has had some success with this kind of bet on a goalie before: in 2013, when he was in Tampa Bay, Yzerman traded Cory Conacher and a fourth-round pick for 26-year-old Ben Bishop — who was in the midst of a breakout season posting a .922 save percentage for the Senators, but had still played just 36 total NHL games at the time.

Bishop finished in the top three for the Vezina in two out of the next three seasons with the Lightning, posting a .922 save percentage over that span."

I thought this quote from Max's article at the Athletic was interesting. He obviously mentions to not expect this from Nedeljkovic, but there is some precedent for success here.

Where things stand for Steve Yzerman and the Red Wings going into the NHL Draft – The Athletic

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
We are gonna go up. And EVERYBODY HATES IT! :D

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Vrana
Rasmussen - Veleno - Zadina
Erne - Namestnikov - Raymond
Svechnikov - Glendening - Smith
(xxx, xxx)

Leddy - Stecher
UFA - Hronek
DeKeyser - Seider
(Lidström)

Greiss
Nedeljkovic
WAIVER Draft list ??Horrid

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I really like this trade.

By no means is he established at the NHL level. But he has shown promise and upside. At 25 he is just entering his true prime years. Ideal for where this franchise is right now.

There is a chance he hits the ground running with us and becomes a solid starter for the next 7 or 8 years.

Late 3rd in a chaotic draft, where we already have 10+ picks ? Sign me up!

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I almost want the rumor that Yzerman fleeces everyone to go away before no one takes his calls.
The genius of Kenny... Make bad trades so everyone thinks you're incompetent... Then, BAM, when you last expect it, suddenly you have Tomas Tatar in exchange for your entire draft.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Love Yzerman’s low risk high reward moves like this. If it doesn’t work out then he’s gone in 2 years and we’re back where we started but at least theirs high end potential in net for the first time since Mrazek

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I have concluded that Yzerman figures out the bare minimum it will take to get a deal done BEFORE he makes the call, then he sells it like a toupee wearing, mustache wielding used car lot owner.

Yzerman: "Hey champ, I've been going over some numbers on my end and I've got a killer deal for you. It's a lot for me to give up but I convinced Draper we can spare this 3rd round pick we got from Vegas though I don't know how long he'll agree to it so I gotta act quick. We like that Nedjkvic... Nedjkovik? Nedjkovic! That's it, yeah we'd take him for that pick. Oh' wait... hold on one minute champ..

In the background : (What's that Drapes? Bernier? Can we afford to give up this much? Ok Kris, I trust you )

Yzerman: You still there champ? Yeah, that was Kris, he suggested I throw in Bernier too... so whatcha think champ? We got a deal?

Lol

Yzerman can sell ice cubes to people in Alaska.

Reactions: Realgud

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
This is why I love Yzerman, he just got us a Calder finalist that may very well be the future #1 goalie for this organization, worst case scenario is he's a bust and we lost nothing for him. If Holland was still around, Bernier would be on a 7 year contract.

Reactions: David D

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I've always believed that acquiring a real goalie is when the team would enter the "competing" phase of the rebuild, which makes me much more interested in this off-season.
I agree with this. That and the Leddy deal are kind of making me think just maybe Stevie may either swing a deal for a top 6 forward (Reinheart) or sign a top 6 forward that can at least get this team competitive

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I agree with this. That and the Leddy deal are kind of making me think just maybe Stevie may either swing a deal for a top 6 forward (Reinheart) or sign a top 6 forward that can at least get this team competitive

Wings need another top-6 center and probably two more defensemen to be able to compete. It seems likely they will get Werenski next summer, but Yzerman may not be banking on that. They have enough good prospects coming in and enough young guys on RFA contracts that Yzerman could balance expensive signings with controlled contracts and field a pretty good roster. I'm interested to see his approach.

Larkin, Zadina, Fabbri, Bertuzzi, Vrana is a respectable top six. They need a first/second line quality C to solidify that group.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I can certainly see why Carolina might have had some reservations about keeping him around and his potential arbitration award.

They're a contender in win now mode, so along with whatever they would've had to pay Ned, they'd also have to pony up for a solid 1B option that they could trust to carry the load if Ned has a sophomore slump or worse, goes full Blaine Lacher. Carolina probably wanted him to take something in the $2.5M range for a year to play a 1B role platooning with a veteran to see if he can repeat this past season and then get him signed up with starter money and term on his next deal.

With a completely clean slate at the position going into this summer, I'm betting the Canes want some stability in net after almost a decade of a revolving door to find a successor to Cam Ward. Not sure where that option comes from though... Grubauer? Rolling the dice on Andersen to get back to being decent starter behind a much better D and outside of the microscope in Toronto? Revisit their interest in Gibson?

I think where Carolina screwed up was allowing it to get out that they didn't want to qualify him. Basically tanked his value with teams knowing they could just wait till he hits the UFA market if the trade price was high.

None the less, it's still a great trade for the Wings. There's certainly risk that he could regress from last season, but the Wings still have Greiss to platoon with him, and they didn't pay a whole lot or commit to him longterm. So they have room to assess as they go along. But obviously I hope that in terms of Yzerman acquiring a young goalie, Ned trends more toward Bishop than Lindback.

Reactions: jkutswings

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The genius of Kenny... Make bad trades so everyone thinks you're incompetent... Then, BAM, when you last expect it, suddenly you have Tomas Tatar in exchange for your entire draft.

I know Holland was part of that deal, but also how much of it was driven by the fact that Vegas had amassed so much draft capital during their expansion draft, as well as outperforming expectations and contending for a cup that first season? What if Vegas just called and said, "How about a 1st, 2nd and 3rd?" and all Holland had to do was stop himself from f***ing it up on the other end of the line?

Conversely, look at the Nyquist trade: Having a career year the year he is traded. 49 points in 62 games with Detroit, on an expiring UFA deal but only goes for a 2nd and a conditional 3rd? By the statistics as well as looking at the Tatar trade in retrospect Nyquist should have fetched Detroit a 1st round pick, or at least another 2nd. So why didn't he? Hell, AA got traded for 2 2nds the following year and Nyquist was a more useful player.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
So the Canes apparently want to resign Bernier and want a Bernier\Mrazek combo.

Bernier and Mrazek are both UFAs and both will certainly want more than Nedeljkovic signed for. Neither is a guy you want as your for-sure starter if you have Cup aspirations.

WTF were the Canes thinking? First they waive the guy after he's been a decent goalie in their system, then dump him for nothing after a huge season? Who's wife did the guy hit on? Did he piss on Dundon's carpet? This makes no sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad