Windsor Spitfires 2021 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
They improved where in playoffs?
I would like to see them win at least 1 round. However that hasnt happened in a long time.
They r bound to win sometime.
Bring in a good coach. New ideas needed.

Alot of players got contracts even though not participating in playoffs or getting knocked out in 1st round
ie Corcoran, Douglas,Angle,Foudy,Cuylle,Dipietro
Just to name a few

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Alot of players got contracts even though not participating in playoffs or getting knocked out in 1st round
ie Corcoran, Douglas,Angle,Foudy,Cuylle,Dipietro
Just to name a few

Ok.
However no improvement in playoffs success though...
Maybe change this year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
But the team built to represent Windsor and the OHL as memorial cup host came together at the most important time making the OHL and Windsor look really good; and, management, coaches, and players as well.

I can see both sides it was great for management/coaches/players. The crowning moment for Rychel/Boughner ownership. As with anything there are two sides and it's what happens/happened afterwards. New sole ownership, new sole ownership trying to sell and failed, will be on their 2nd head coach, new gm. We obviously will ignore a lost season but the year before was the lowest amount of season ticketholders the Spits have had since moving to the new arena. That doesn't take away from the championship but the fans have obviously made their feelings known since then and it's not a high approval rating.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
And u can have your minority opinion being a cheer leader.

I didnt hear any boos that night Windsor won from the home fans did you?
If that's cheerleading I am guilty and proud of it.
Players,coaches getting pro contracts afterwards and even now,I am happy for it that's cheerleading count me in.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
Smith was in charge of the forwards and the PP,Mike Weber in charge of the D and the PK.
For the season that was shortened to 62 games Windsor finished 5th o/a for the PP,24.4 % efficiency,the year before Windsor was 17th on the PP with an 18% PP efficiency huge improvement, PK another story,in the shortened season finished at 18th oa,whereas the year before they finished 7th oa on the PK,though something tells me having Dipietro for the 1st 30 games of the season of that year helped the PK alot,when he left team dropped considerably.
As for goals for Windsor in the shortened season finished with 256 goals for an average of 4.12,the season before finished with 216 for average of 3.17 almost a goal more per game.
Not sure what you mean about Smith's work as assistant coach,the numbers dont support your stance.

Would you want Smith as head coach? Tough question, especially with your strong connection to the Spits.

I am personally backing Wellwood, based on his OHL work record.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Would you want Smith as head coach? Tough question, especially with your strong connection to the Spits.

I am personally backing Wellwood, based on his OHL work record.

I would prefer Wellwood as head coach and Smith as associate same position as he had with Letowski, afterall Letowski got extended prior to leaving for Montreal, so I am assuming Smith got extended too.
Now if Smith wishes to leave,fine but I would have no intention of buying him out,he stays Windsor would still have to get a Dman coach,don't think there has to be 3 new coaches.
I am a strong believer in loyalty if Smith wants to stays he stays, Wellwood would have to accept that as a condition of employment, he can choose his defense coach.

Reactions: OHLTG and stips

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Funny how folks play both sides of that last Mem cup! I seem to remember a pretty big dislike for Rocky as well. That was the last of an era. When Boogie and Ryks left this team was in trouble. They left because the Savages couldn’t get along with them. Ownership then tried to jump ship after reducing staff significantly. It’s been a poop show since anyway you slice it! Like I’ve said this hire shows us all what ownership is all about!!

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I didnt hear any boos that night Windsor won from the home fans did you?
If that's cheerleading I am guilty and proud of it.
Players,coaches getting pro contracts afterwards and even now,I am happy for it that's cheerleading count me in.

Where do u expect to hear boo's?
Windsor was the host team. Who got to play in the tournament because they were the host team. That is only way they could as they had another year with no playoff success.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Man, this whole "no playoff success" debate is turning into a fine powder. I don't think there was a fan in attendance at that final game that thought "yeah, they won, but they didn't win a playoff round. This sucks!!" That's reality, sorry. They're not the first team, nor have been the last team, to host it after losing in their playoffs. Some teams even lost in the first round. Just be glad the Spitfires actually won it and didn't look foolish. I can't imagine the complaining if that happened!!

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Man, this whole "no playoff success" debate is turning into a fine powder. I don't think there was a fan in attendance at that final game that thought "yeah, they won, but they didn't win a playoff round. This sucks!!" That's reality, sorry. They're not the first team, nor have been the last team, to host it after losing in their playoffs. Some teams even lost in the first round. Just be glad the Spitfires actually won it and didn't look foolish. I can't imagine the complaining if that happened!!
Ok but this is one year. The no playoff success. Has been going on since 2011. I will take the Memorial Cup obviously but that doesn’t take away from the lack of playoff success every other year.

Reactions: Cherrydon

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Less than 5 weeks to go before training camp. Announce the coaching staff already. I have to believe it's a done deal as the staff needs time to be prepared. If it hasn't that will not show confidence in the ownership to the fans. Culture needed changing even though I know it was a combination of mediocre coaching imo combined with some bad apple players and players that did not develope to their draft position potential. Rychel over selling his draft picks or just bad scouting? A bit of all the above. Nonetheless roster looks more promising this year. Fans just want to see a hard working team that can play a little above their potential with the help of a new coach.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Concerns me we’re not hearing anything. The longer it drags on the more I worry we’re getting an inexperienced and cheap salary coach. Kinda think if it’s not Welly we’ll hear pretty quick tho. He is local…

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Concerns me we’re not hearing anything. The longer it drags on the more I worry we’re getting an inexperienced and cheap salary coach. Kinda think if it’s not Welly we’ll hear pretty quick tho. He is local…

Status quo for management...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Ok but this is one year. The no playoff success. Has been going on since 2011. I will take the Memorial Cup obviously but that doesn’t take away from the lack of playoff success every other year.

I think it boils down to there's a dichotomy with this fan base. There's a group that looks at things altruistically from the point of view that just wants the players to do better for themselves and make a career out of it, regardless of how the team does. There's another portion that speaks from the fans point of view that wants the team to do well and have lots of success. Unfortunately what gets lost in the translation is the altruistic fans believe the other fans don't want the players to succeed. That's patently false because in order for the team to have success the players have to be successful. If you don't have to invest your own money naturally you wouldn't have an attachment if your team gets a win or loss. Hence why you see comments that it doesn't matter if the teams gets the W or L.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If you don't have to invest your own money naturally you wouldn't have an attachment if your team gets a win or loss. Hence why you see comments that it doesn't matter if the teams gets the W or L.

A person can invest money and time without getting riled up if the team doesn't make the second round or loses random Sunday afternoon games. Everyone wants to see the team succeed but sometimes a good, hard-working, entertaining game that ends in a 4-3 loss is just as good as a boring, low-shot 2-1 win. I'm sure some fans are second-round-or-bust, and that's their choice, but let's not get on the case of those who aren't going crazy because the team didn't match the loftier expectations.

Last edited:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Lol that would cut the cost for ownership. Maybe Bomber is a candidate. I'm really hoping BB has the green light to manage without hands tied. We'll hopefully see sooner than later which path ownership is taking.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I believe many fans want both Rayzor. Imho successful players make a successful team which makes for a successful franchise. Most don’t mind a loss, they mind losses that come from poor play. I don’t set how far they go as a goal, but when it becomes the norm I’ve got a problem.

Reactions: TheGremlin

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
A person can invest money and time without getting riled up if the team doesn't make the second round or loses random Sunday afternoon games. Everyone wants to see the team succeed but sometimes a good, hard-working, entertaining game that ends in a 4-3 loss is just as good as a boring, low-shot 2-1 win. I'm sure some fans are second-round-or-bust, and that's their choice, but let's not get on the case of those who aren't going crazy because the team didn't match the loftier expectations.

This a bigger picture issue. After 2011 which was the peak their run. From 2012-2020 the winning % is .525. So for all the close wins, close losses etc... They have been the epitome of average, 1 Memorial Cup, zero playoff round wins, no division titles, no home ice advantage in a playoff series.

So nobody is getting on someones case. It's what I said earlier some care about results, and some are 5 on 5 and 2 goalies outcome be damned. This isn't a random game here or there that's 650+ games of goals, saves, wins and losses. If .525 is cool with you do you think that makes you a better fan? Like I said there's a dichotomy and until there are better results we will continue to have this discussion. That isn't up to us it's up to ownership/management/coaching/players to build a culture of success.

Reactions: member 71782

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The division doesn't have to exist, though. It's completely made up and a mental thing. I mean, if people want to get riled up because the club didn't make the second round, then do your thing, but the rest of us are going to sit here and go "yeah, that sucks... well, onto next season." Being a Leafs fan helps that transition :laugh::laugh: I got over the Montreal loss about a week later.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The division doesn't have to exist, though. It's completely made up and a mental thing. I mean, if people want to get riled up because the club didn't make the second round, then do your thing, but the rest of us are going to sit here and go "yeah, that sucks... well, onto next season." Being a Leafs fan helps that transition :laugh::laugh: I got over the Montreal loss about a week later.

Speaking for rest of us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad