Windsor Spitfires 2021 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If he's returning with the same issues I would trade him before they use a card on him.

For the most part agree particularly regarding the card thing,however because teams haven't seen or had most players for 2 years since last camp,especially last years picks and this years from all 3 drafts,slot of teams might not ready to pull a trigger on a malcontent player.
Not saying you are wrong,plus I just dont think Windsor will use 30 cards this year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
One thing I am wondering about a rule change for this season and beyond is allowing teams to employ an oa goaltender without counting to your limit of 3.
Especially in light of covid development didn't occur for most goalies for almost 1-1/2 years.
What say you?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
One thing I am wondering about a rule change for this season and beyond is allowing teams to employ an oa goaltender without counting to your limit of 3.
Especially in light of covid development didn't occur for most goalies for almost 1-1/2 years.
What say you?

If it benefits all teams not just a few.... It could help, injuries going to happen.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
What say you?
I don't have an issue other than if OA goalies are exempt against the count, it could possibly affect young goalies choosing the OHL route. Riding the pine for 2-3 seasons while the older goalies get the nod to be the dressed tandem defeats the OHL position as a premiere development league. We seen that happen to some goalies on the taxi squad with little or zero NHL game action.

member 71782

Not really a fan.

I would think this is probably something being pushed by the NHL. If not it would their support since I believe the OA limit of 3 players was an NHL pushed rule.

If the NHL is supporting this then you have to ask if it changes things in terms of contract signings for CHL players from 2 to 3 years. If this were the case then I could get behind since it would provide a potential benefit for all CHL players and maybe sway some more talent to the CHL.

I understand the concerns in terms of development of younger goaltenders but the CHL could then make a push for something similar in Tier II/JR B where they could push those leagues to make an excemption for teams to be allowed an extra underage card specifically for goaltenders to hopefully get them some more development before their draft years.

CHL goaltenders are nearly all pure projection in their draft years because most come in as rookies in their 17 year old season and most are in a back up role at that time.

If they can't push other leagues to switch to an extra underage card for a goaltender then to offset the OA excemption the CHL should allow an extra underage card reserved for a goaltender who can then at least get a shot to practice everyday at this level as well get a few games in that most currently don't get.

That's about the only ways I would get behind it.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
The Robinson deal is a head scratcher, is he ready to play and behave? Is so keep him and see, if he’s not what’s he really worth? Many expect to trade him for equal value but I disagree, who wants or needs a pain in the ass in the room. I’m hoping goalies will be ok, if not it’s likely to be a bigger issue than expected. Forwards should be above average, even more so if Foudy comes back. The D is my concern, saying it for a while. Some good talent coming but you need 2 pieces always, a body mover in your own zone and an offensive thinking playmaker. Those 2 pieces can lead your D and teach young D. We don’t have those right now. I still say the season hinges on who this team hires as HC! Without a solid choice I don’t believe the team does much. Great seasons start with coaches that have full respect of the team.
While I have no idea what Robinson's issue are, in most cases, the a malcontent player's problem is the coach. If that is the case, he problem is gone. That is not saying that the same problem won't arise with the new coach, but if that is the case, he probably won't be happy anywhere.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Is BB actively looking for a coach outside of Wellwood or just playing the time game to announce the signing with we looked hard and long and Wellwood was the best fit?

Reactions: stips

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Waiting game.
Funny how they are sending out messages to purchase season tickets and we don't even have confirmation of who the coach will be. The longer they wait just shows a lack of confidence on who it will be. Are they setting us up for disappointment or low balling EW knowing he really wants the job?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Funny how they are sending out messages to purchase season tickets and we don't even have confirmation of who the coach will be. The longer they wait just shows a lack of confidence on who it will be. Are they setting us up for disappointment or low balling EW knowing he really wants the job?

They just want the money maybe.
Need to pay bills.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I would expect an announcement in the next 2 weeks. Even then, that is cutting it close since training camp is 5 1/2 weeks away. The longer it takes makes me feel that it might not be Wellwood, which would be disappointing. I have been on this board for a number of years, and having Wellwood as coach is the only topic that I have seen every agree on.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
This has the making of a debacle if the Savages go cheap here!! Windsor fans are smart, the arena will have lots of empty seats.

Reactions: member 71782

stips

Apr 3, 2016

This is exactly what I am thinking. BB is going to announce the cheap coach selection, rather then the high profile, proven coach EW.

If this happens then the fanbase needs to react loud and clear....enough said.....hopefully, common sense prevails!

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
This is exactly what I am thinking. BB is going to announce the cheap coach selection, rather then the high profile, proven coach EW.

If this happens then the fanbase needs to react loud and clear....enough said.....hopefully, common sense prevails!
This is ownership's one chance to make a positive impact. Wellwod would not only bring people into the seats, his playing and coaching record will help intice players to come here. As far as going cheap, what would it save. Whatever the savings, it would be made up in ticket revenue. If the Savage's are trying to sell the team, increased revenues would up the value. Also, keep in mind that Wellwood will only be here for 2 to 3 years before the Pros come calling. That 2 or 3 years would have be a huge creditability build with the community.

member 71782

When the Savages took control they made it clear they weren't in this for the long term when they almost immediately tried to sell the team. After all that's happened they need to rebuild the value of the franchise to sell it for a return they like.

Unfortunately for them that'll take a couple of seasons.

They can try to minimize their losses by going cheap and hoping to limit out of pocket expenses but if the on ice product has minimal value it'll end up increasing their out of pocket costs as revenue dwindles. It won't increase the value in a sale.

If they would invest in the product and improve the on ice product the yes, initial out of pocket investments would increase but the overall value with fans returning would create a larger revenue stream lowering out of pocket investments while increasing the value for an eventual sale.

When this franchise first came into the league it almost didn't have a second season. The original group of I believe 6 investors had 5 that wanted out because they didn't want the out of pocket costs. The remaining owner along with 2 other partners bought them out for I believe the original expansion fees and held it until they received an offer that made it worth selling. They had out of pocket costs most of the time they had the franchise that went up and down based on the success of the franchise. Out of pocket costs went town as previous investments improved the on ice product. The sale eventually allowed them to recoup most of their total investment including out of pocket expenses for the time they owned the team.

This was the mom and pop days where teams were never a money making venture. Unfortunately those who can afford teams now don't have the same pride of ownership, it's now only about profits for most which is why cuts to operations at the expense of team success is prioritized from deep pocket owners. They treat it like any other investment instead of a sports investment and usually they buy high and seek the highest return but can't understand why their value drops when they put out a substandard product.

It's not that a business person isn't capable of owning a team but if they don't have a passion for not only the game but the team itself they don't understand how to build the value of the franchise.

This group doesn't get it.

Spend now or lose even more later.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
When the Savages took control they made it clear they weren't in this for the long term when they almost immediately tried to sell the team. After all that's happened they need to rebuild the value of the franchise to sell it for a return they like.

Unfortunately for them that'll take a couple of seasons.

They can try to minimize their losses by going cheap and hoping to limit out of pocket expenses but if the on ice product has minimal value it'll end up increasing their out of pocket costs as revenue dwindles. It won't increase the value in a sale.

If they would invest in the product and improve the on ice product the yes, initial out of pocket investments would increase but the overall value with fans returning would create a larger revenue stream lowering out of pocket investments while increasing the value for an eventual sale.

When this franchise first came into the league it almost didn't have a second season. The original group of I believe 6 investors had 5 that wanted out because they didn't want the out of pocket costs. The remaining owner along with 2 other partners bought them out for I believe the original expansion fees and held it until they received an offer that made it worth selling. They had out of pocket costs most of the time they had the franchise that went up and down based on the success of the franchise. Out of pocket costs went town as previous investments improved the on ice product. The sale eventually allowed them to recoup most of their total investment including out of pocket expenses for the time they owned the team.

This was the mom and pop days where teams were never a money making venture. Unfortunately those who can afford teams now don't have the same pride of ownership, it's now only about profits for most which is why cuts to operations at the expense of team success is prioritized from deep pocket owners. They treat it like any other investment instead of a sports investment and usually they buy high and seek the highest return but can't understand why their value drops when they put out a substandard product.

It's not that a business person isn't capable of owning a team but if they don't have a passion for not only the game but the team itself they don't understand how to build the value of the franchise.

This group doesn't get it.

Spend now or lose even more later.

Very well said

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
I personally don't care who is named head coach. Moe Mantha? Tony Curtale? Zombie Maxner? It doesn't matter, we're going to hate him anyway. We complained about coaches that won us championships, so even Wellwood is going to get ripped by the resident keyboard warriors on here. Ownership just needs to get some bodies on the ice to satisfy me as having done a good job. I'll leave the 40 foot walls of baseless speculation about ownership up to the pros, you got this cfaub. Tell us all what ownership is planning for dinner tonight and how that will effect their ability to sell the team in the future. That's way more useful than a legend post about potential lineups in the fall.

Reactions: The Howler

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I personally don't care who is named head coach. Moe Mantha? Tony Curtale? Zombie Maxner? It doesn't matter, we're going to hate him anyway. We complained about coaches that won us championships, so even Wellwood is going to get ripped by the resident keyboard warriors on here. Ownership just needs to get some bodies on the ice to satisfy me as having done a good job. I'll leave the 40 foot walls of baseless speculation about ownership up to the pros, you got this cfaub. Tell us all what ownership is planning for dinner tonight and how that will effect their ability to sell the team in the future. That's way more useful than a legend post about potential lineups in the fall.
Yes Thompson won Windsor the Memorial Cup but prior to winning that what did he do. Team still couldn’t win in playoffs like everyone else since 11. Thompson got some praise i’m sure for winning the cup. He did a great job for just over a month getting team prepared for a tournament where other teams fought and battled to get there.

I think people will give Wellwood a longer leash then most

member 71782

Without hosting in 2017 that coach that got you a championship would have gotten you nothing except that first round collapse so coaching gets not because of one issue but multiple issues. That championship doesn't happen without the hosting and the 44 day intervention by anyone they could bring in to help the coaches and players.

You want players on the ice? Great. So do all the "keyboard warriors" such as myself as it seems you're alluding to. To get those players, assuming you're talking talented players who can be developed to reach their potential and have a shot at a championship you need an ownership that will invest and a coach and staff capable of developing the players and running the bench.

If your only concern is seeing players on the ice, go watch any level of hockey. If you want to watch a good team that can be competitive and contend for titles that all begins off ice with an ownership group that invests in the team, staff and organization. So far this ownership group doesn't seem to have done much of that. Having cut most of the scouting staff and who knows what else.

As for what they're having for dinner? Who cares. My only concern about the owners is what they do to put the best possible product on the ice and that starts with how they run the organization, who is brought in to manage, who scouts the talent and finally who develops and coaches them. If just icing a team is all people want, guess what, you've already got that and I would guess regardless of results you'll be thrilled. Good for you. Unlike you most want to see a winning product not just a group of players skating around. Whether it's me or others who agree or disagree with me and others that is one of the things most on here have in common.

Enjoy a substandard product if you like but I'll critique when it's substandard as well as give credit when it's good. I've had a lot more criticism the last 10 years than praise not because I want to find fault with everything but because there's been a lot more that's been handled poorly than right.

Have a good one.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Lol damn where did capt miserable one from?!?!
Sorry man, I read a few posts about the potential lineup for next year by legend and I thought we might be done crying about ownership and finally moved on to actual useful discussions. I got excited about the team for a minute. My mistake, carry on with the complain fest. I don't want to stand in the way of something that clearly needs to be said 500 different ways so the same 5 people who agree with it can pat themselves on the back for how right it must be. Go ahead, somebody was saying ownership is cheap? Tell me more, and use as many words as possible to do it please. I read every one of them I assure you.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
There's a TON of optimism going into camp. Hire Wellwood and let's get on with the show. We've had no live hockey in 17-months and that's after an abrupt ending. I'm itching to get back, regardless of competitor or complete rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad