Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Onuska so far the perfect backup goalie after a tough 1st game in the SSM when he allowed 3 goals in 15 minutes or so,was relieved by Medina the last 3 games he has allowed only 7 goals in last 3 games,averaging 2.33 in those 3 2-1 record,1--1 ,record overall goals against average of 3.03 with Windsor, surprised London would trade him,glad they did.
Spits are 11-3-1 against Ldn,Guelph,SSM and Flint this season so far.
4-1 vs SSM,4-0 vs Flint,2-0 vs Guelph and 1-2--1 vs Ldn.
Medina is 3-0 vs SSM,2-0 vs Flint, 1-1-0-1 vs London and has not played against Guelph this season.
Medina last lost to London 4th game of the season 5-1 in London, since then he is 6-0 vs Ldn,Flint and SSM
Onuska 1-0, vs Guelph, Tovell 1-0 vs Flint,Downey 1-0 vs Guelph and 1-0 vs Flint.
Yet at least one poster doesn't think Windsor can be considered contender in the West.
Pretty compelling evidence to the contrary.

ohl16

Jun 27, 2016
Onuska so far the perfect backup goalie after a tough 1st game in the SSM when he allowed 3 goals in 15 minutes or so,was relieved by Medina the last 3 games he has allowed only 7 goals in last 3 games,averaging 2.33 in those 3 2-1 record,1--1 ,record overall goals against average of 3.03 with Windsor, surprised London would trade him,glad they did.
Spits are 11-3-1 against Ldn,Guelph,SSM and Flint this season so far.
4-1 vs SSM,4-0 vs Flint,2-0 vs Guelph and 1-2--1 vs Ldn.
Medina is 3-0 vs SSM,2-0 vs Flint, 1-1-0-1 vs London and has not played against Guelph this season.
Medina last lost to London 4th game of the season 5-1 in London, since then he is 6-0 vs Ldn,Flint and SSM
Onuska 1-0, vs Guelph, Tovell 1-0 vs Flint,Downey 1-0 vs Guelph and 1-0 vs Flint.
Yet at least one poster doesn't think Windsor can be considered contender in the West.
Pretty compelling evidence to the contrary.
Anyone who thinks Windsor isn’t a contender in the West this year is just being negative buuuuut, one off wins are nice, winning a 7 game series x3 or 4 is different. They have that ability but will they manage the consistency? I also think they’re one Johnston injury away from losing some of that contender status. Other than Brochu/Cavallin I don’t see another player being as essential for a teams’ success.

Last edited:
Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Anyone who thinks Windsor isn’t a contender in the West this year is just being negative buuuuut, one off wins are nice, winning a 7 game series x3 or 4 is different. They have that ability but will they manage the consistency? I also think they’re one Johnston injury away from losing some of that contender status. Other than Brochu/Cavallin I don’t see another player being as essential for a teams’ success.

You can add Evangelista from London,Pastujov from Guelph Kerins from the Sault,Othmann from Flint to that group of irreplaceable players for their respective teams.

ohl16

Jun 27, 2016
You can add Evangelista from London,Pastujov from Guelph Kerins from the Sault,Othmann from Flint to that group of irreplaceable players for their respective teams.
I don’t think I’d really consider Flint contenders and I haven’t seen enough of Guelph yet but I think London and the Soo are less affected by those losses than Windsor with all due respect to Cuylle.

member 71782

A better effort last night without a doubt, just not from everyone for all of the game.

Is anyone else seeing an OA Purboo in D'Amico this year?

Put him on a line he feels he deserves to be on, in situations where things come easy to him and he puts in a bit more effort. Put him anywhere else and he might go through the motions if the mood suits him?
Why did Windsor trade for a number one D and still insist on using Henault as one? He was barely a number one on this team let alone any other team in the league, bring in Perrott and keep Henault in that spot, just not smart decision making IMO. Still thinking someone has more influence behind that bench then they should when you see all the carry over mistakes from the previous group. It was pretty obvious Savard never had any say in his staff. Delmore hired a while before Letowski left and Smith given a fancy new title to stay in his old role. Same issues we had from the coaching staff we previously had continue under a new HC.

Lack of accountability, apparent entitlement issues amongst some middle of the road vets and exact same style of coaching mistakes carrying over, almost to the point you'd think Letowski was still back there.

Those have been a lot of the core issues, expressed by many with different terms that still remain.

Let's see how far that takes them.

Reactions: windsor7

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
A better effort last night without a doubt, just not from everyone for all of the game.

Put him on a line he feels he deserves to be on, in situations where things come easy to him and he puts in a bit more effort. Put him anywhere else and he might go through the motions if the mood suits him?
Why did Windsor trade for a number one D and still insist on using Henault as one? He was barely a number one on this team let alone any other team in the league, bring in Perrott and keep Henault in that spot, just not smart decision making IMO. Still thinking someone has more influence behind that bench then they should when you see all the carry over mistakes from the previous group. It was pretty obvious Savard never had any say in his staff. Delmore hired a while before Letowski left and Smith given a fancy new title to stay in his old role. Same issues we had from the coaching staff we previously had continue under a new HC.

Lack of accountability, apparent entitlement issues amongst some middle of the road vets and exact same style of coaching mistakes carrying over, almost to the point you'd think Letowski was still back there.

Those have been a lot of the core issues, expressed by many with different terms that still remain.

My exact thoughts precisely. D'amico has zero feist in his game. Gets run over and abused and he does not respond. Henault no accountability for his untimely pinching and icings that often look purposeful to extend his shift. They both have the same hall pass from Savard as Purboo did from Letowski. Or is it Smith since he is the one carryover from the Letowski years? Not the examples you want the rookies to follow. Is it hard to punish an overager? It shouldn't be.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
After last night's win Windsor now tied in 4th for most points overall in the league standings with 44 points,Flint also has 44 points though Windsor has a game in hand,NBay also has 44 points except Windsor has 5 games in hand on NBay,Flint 4
Mississauga leads with 56 points,SSM is 2nd in points with 48,though Windsor has 3 games in hand on them,Flint 2,Kingston has 3rd most with 47 points and has played 34 games.
London and Barrie have 43 points,Hamilton 42 and Guelph 41 though all 4 of those teams have played less games then the 6 above them.
Not alot of point difference between 2nd and 10th only 7 points.
Oshawa sits 11th with 37 points but have played 35 games.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I thought it was a better performance and most likely indicative of the type of game that they will face in the playoffs. Ironically they had a lot of shots but not great chances.

You shouldn't have many disagreements on D'Amico. He's the exact same player he was 3 years ago for the most part probably a downgrade from 19/20. I think there's a huge loyalty factor with this organization which can be a benefit and a hinderance. As for the defense it's a huge issue, most likely they won't have an NHL pick from their D in 2022 so over 11 NHL drafts they will have had only 5 NHL picks. That's pretty terrible overall when you look at it and probably the biggest factor holding them back. That's a scouting issue unfortunately and really have no bearing on coaching. Yes proper coaching would help but there hasn't been a lot of top tier talent or middle tier talent to coach up.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
I'm hoping D'amico is moved back down the lineup with his team worst plus/minus. Not fair for Johnston who has been a stud all season be punished with someone who can't keep up. Team owes him a chance to win the scoring title. You don't see McDavid carrying a true 3rd/4th liner all game.

You are right on, D'Amico only works hard when he has a scoring opportunity.
He is totally a perimeter player, looking to avoid action. He has not been a worthy OA player. Savard has his work cut out to get him motivated and focused. Play him on the 4th line at best!!!!!

Johnson has earned everything he has worked extremely hard to get, so don't hold him down.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don’t think I’d really consider Flint contenders and I haven’t seen enough of Guelph yet but I think London and the Soo are less affected by those losses than Windsor with all due respect to Cuylle.

Unfortunately we can only judge them by results. They have had big impact rookies like Lombardi Pitre Hayes D'Amato. Othmann is terrific and Keppen is a real good OA.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So an interesting observation. Noticed in the standings as of today the 3 top teams with points is Soo, Flint and Windsor in the western conference. Games in hand aside it is not often you see the west division leading the way.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Only four points out of 1st in the conference with three games in hand. If they win two of those games they are in 1st place and yet I am seeing comments on bad scouting, bad drafting etc, lmao. It can't all be that bad when there is a decent chance they finish in 1st. Some people on here expect the team to go 68-0, it's a joke.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Yes,understand what you mean
Have gotten used to the unfair narrative spewed on here more then it should be.
Good example Spits are 12-3-2 in their last 17 games and we mostly have to read how bad the D is,the inconsistent starting goalie,a powerplay that has a bad night and on and on.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With last night's win at Guelph Spits are now 6-2 since their trade deadline, 3-0 at home,3-2 on the road.
What's really impressive is the PP ,10-28 for 35.7% effiency, the PK 23-25 for a 92% effiency.
Additions, Andrew Perrott, Mathias Onuska and Josh Currie all have contributed in various forms to their current run

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Only four points out of 1st in the conference with three games in hand. If they win two of those games they are in 1st place and yet I am seeing comments on bad scouting, bad drafting etc, lmao. It can't all be that bad when there is a decent chance they finish in 1st. Some people on here expect the team to go 68-0, it's a joke.

They would need to win 3 games Soo holds tiebreaker.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits are 12-3-2 in their last 17 games like a mentioned a couple of posts back.
Impressed that they are unbeaten at home in regulation the last 7 games,6-0-1,while they are 6-3-1 on the road the last 10 games.
PP is 33%,19-57,PK which has been unfairly criticized is 87% effiency 54-62,goaltending mostly pretty good especially Medina and Onuska, Medina 9 games,2.55 ,7-2 record,Onuska 4 games 3.03,2-1.
Team going through Covid twice in these 17 games,after Christmas and this past week.
Team has shown some pretty good depth,ie Cuylle misses 5 games,Windsor goes 4-1,Zito has missed 5 as well and Windsor has gone 5-0, without him too,going to be without him for 4 more.
Are things perfect no but very good overall a big yes.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
So an interesting observation. Noticed in the standings as of today the 3 top teams with points is Soo, Flint and Windsor in the western conference. Games in hand aside it is not often you see the west division leading the way.

Windsor is gaining alot of points.
Good to c

Reactions: ohloutsider

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Spits are 12-3-2 in their last 17 games like a mentioned a couple of posts back.
Impressed that they are unbeaten at home in regulation the last 7 games,6-0-1,while they are 6-3-1 on the road the last 10 games.
PP is 33%,19-57,PK which has been unfairly criticized is 87% effiency 54-62,goaltending mostly pretty good especially Medina and Onuska, Medina 9 games,2.55 ,7-2 record,Onuska 4 games 3.03,2-1.
Team going through Covid twice in these 17 games,after Christmas and this past week.
Team has shown some pretty good depth,ie Cuylle misses 5 games,Windsor goes 4-1,Zito has missed 5 as well and Windsor has gone 5-0, without him too,going to be without him for 4 more.
Are things perfect no but very good overall a big yes.
HL,
I will bet you a Capri pizza (small, 4 toppings...no need to get carried away) that Onuska steals the starting job from Medina before seasons' end. :nod:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
HL,
I will bet you a Capri pizza (small, 4 toppings...no need to get carried away) that Onuska steals the starting job from Medina before seasons' end. :nod:

Interesting.
With Medina cant stay healthy, it could be a possibility.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
HL,

nelli27

As much as like both goalies I will take you up on that bet.
For clarity purposes Onuska has to wrestle job away from Medina not by injury.
If its injury related bet is a draw

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
nelli27

As much as like both goalies I will take you up on that bet.
For clarity purposes Onuska has to wrestle job away from Medina not by injury.
If its injury related bet is a draw
Deal! I agree to your terms...can't be due to injury or covid.
On an unrelated note, just found out London has a Naples pizza which started out in Windsor. Is it any good?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Deal! I agree to your terms...can't be due to injury or covid.
On an unrelated note, just found out London has a Naples pizza which started out in Windsor. Is it any good?

Yes it is,usually go there every time I visit the grandchildren , not far from where they live.
Next time in London I will treat you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany